The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought mine, and it has the "Don't tread on me" faux ivory grips. Took it outside, and ran some super colibri through it. Still pretty quiet. Ran some stingers through it, and it was louder. I was using plugs, so that is ok. I really like it. The s/a trigger is light, and the lock up is vault tight. My opinion? Can't beat it for the price.:)

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
My mom bought dad one of those for Christmas. There really nice guns for the money. I like shooting it as much as he does. :D

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
I don't know why but they are outlawed in Illinois. Anyone have any idea why?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I havr the twin cylinder 22LR/22WMR Heritage with 7 1/2" barrel. It has a safety lever. It is an accurate cowboy six shooter plinker.

But BEWARE!

Make sure you get the STEEL framed models. Some models are made of a pot netal called ZAMAK which is what the chrome plated bridge on most electric guitars is made with. I have seen pics online where the ZAMAK frame broke at the cylinder top strap. ZAMAK is used in what used to be called Saturday night Specials which is any pistol that the frame melts at below 1100 degs. As long as you get the steel framed versions you will get years of good plinking time from your heritage.

The steel framed Heritage models may be available in Illinois but the ZAMAK models will not be.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I just bought mine, and it has the "Don't tread on me" faux ivory grips. Took it outside, and ran some super colibri through it. Still pretty quiet. Ran some stingers through it, and it was louder. I was using plugs, so that is ok. I really like it. The s/a trigger is light, and the lock up is vault tight. My opinion? Can't beat it for the price.:)
I want one too!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I don't know why but they are outlawed in Illinois. Anyone have any idea why?
Don't know about Illinois, but some states prohibit guns that have a melting point less that 1100 and some degrees. The alloy Heritage would fall into that category.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't know about Illinois, but some states prohibit guns that have a melting point less that 1100 and some degrees. The alloy Heritage would fall into that category.
But Heritage does also make steel frame models that should pass muster.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Glad to hear that your happy with it. I've been thinking about getting one myself, but was on the fence with concerns about build quality. Thank you Mach2 for the heads up on the alloy frame. If any of the local dealers ever get restocked, I'll give it some serious thought. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Glad to hear that your happy with it. I've been thinking about getting one myself, but was on the fence with concerns about build quality. Thank you Mach2 for the heads up on the alloy frame. If any of the local dealers ever get restocked, I'll give it some serious thought. Have fun with it!
I've not heard many complaints of bad quality. The principle drawback of the basic Heritage is one that has plagued handguns since they were invented. Lacking adjustable rear sights,(The basic Heritage has the old basic groove in top strap rear sight) many, but not all suffer from accuracy problems in relation to point of aim. It may group shots as accurate as you are, but off low/left or high right etc to point of aim. So you may have to learn how to manually adjust for pin point accuracy. Not a defect per see. This problem was common on even the old Colts these guns are scaled down copies of. And almost certainly the reason why adjustable rear sights were developed for handguns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Rough Rider is a piece of junk. I should have spent another $100 for a quality gun. Mine spits lead out the side routinely. Accuracy is poor. Of course the sights did not line up, Heritage says to bend the front sight. Boy that sure looks lousy with the sight bent to one side. The so-called case hardened receiver turns out to be a pale green pot metal frame. I send a letter to Heritage about my poor accuracy and they do not even answer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My Rough Rider is a piece of junk. I should have spent another $100 for a quality gun. Mine spits lead out the side routinely. Accuracy is poor. Of course the sights did not line up, Heritage says to bend the front sight. Boy that sure looks lousy with the sight bent to one side. The so-called case hardened receiver turns out to be a pale green pot metal frame. I send a letter to Heritage about my poor accuracy and they do not even answer.
Send it to me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts