The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I need some help. My step father really wants a Heritage Rough Rider that was made before they all had manual safeties. I looked around but could not find any. A guy at a gun show said that is how they used to be. Does anyone know where I can get one and maybe what is a good deal for one?

I have already found an insert that goes into the safety slot, but he says he really wants one made without it entirely.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
The Heritage Arms revolvers never came without the safety. If he wants a gun with a similar price point, look at the Ruger Wrangler. They cost a little more but don’t have the goofy safety as the Heritage models.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Heritage didn't make a non-safety gun, guess I should have explained that when I suggested it's predecessor, the Hawes. I'm a Ruger fan, but very disappointed by Ruger and their Wrangler, just to compete with a Heritage. If you want a quality single action .22, get a Single Six, better yet, the old model.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Heritage didn't make a non-safety gun, guess I should have explained that when I suggested it's predecessor, the Hawes. I'm a Ruger fan, but very disappointed by Ruger and their Wrangler, just to compete with a Heritage. If you want a quality single action .22, get a Single Six, better yet, the old model.
Disappointed....why? Of course the Wrangler isn’t the same quality as the single six, it wasn’t intended to be. It is a budget single action 22 tin can popper and it fills that roll nicely.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
ral, you must have one? I just feel it was a niche already filled, and Ruger has never had to make something that cheap to compete. I've compared the two, and other than the safety and the price, I can't decide if it's a glorified heritage, or a real bad Rohm version of a single six. Ruger should have never gone there.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I HAD 2Heritage. Hated that safety and accuracy was terrible. Sold them.

Thought seriously about the Wrangler. I mean, they are Rugers. The color was a bit off putting, but I believe, they do that to readily distinguish them from the Single Six.

I ended up biting the bullet and got the Single Six. Couldn't be happier, except youngest grandson shoots it more than I do and claims it is his. He is 9 and one day, it will be.

The Hawes are decent pieces, but hard to find.

It is your choice.

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
The only thing I don't care for on the Ruger Wrangler are the goofy color combinations. Why don't they offer an all black or an all silver version instead of the 2 tone finishes? I'd buy one if they did. That bronze color with the black cylinder is repulsive to me.
Our local Rural King had all three colors and I agree, why couldn't they just go with black/black or silver/silver. Yup, that bronze is revolting.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Thank you guys so much. I told him and now he is ok with going to the Ruger single six.
Quite a jump in price but an excellent choice! Rugers are built like tanks and that gun will probably outlast several family generations.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
May want to check this date but I’d go for one made before 1973. I think that’s when they started adding transfer bars while it may make the revolver safer it completely changed the way it functions. No more “click click click click” that’s super cool.

$0.02

As to the Wrangler I preordered this one before they were released and have to say I have a better opinion of them than some of you guys. IMO it’s built much better than the Rough Rider and certainly feels more substantial. Nothing wrong with giving Heritage a little competition.

FD3C5869-8D84-497D-842A-6A87F70E5D24.jpeg
E3940F88-1C3E-43C6-A944-3B967D0A95E7.jpeg

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I don't know the model numbers of the High Standard pistols but about 10 years ago my dad asked me to find him a .22 revolver. He said he wanted one to shoot with the grand kids but I could tell by the tone of his voice he was thinking his neighborhood was a little rougher than it once was, and I figured he wanted something Mom could shoot if she needed to so I loaned him my Single Six. I figured my .45 was a bit too much for my mom to handle or I'd have let him take it. I picked up a High Standard J.C. Higgins double 9, this was the one that looks like a western six shooter and gave it to Dad. After Dad passed Mom gave it back to me, she said I'd have to wait a few years before her pistol came to me, Dad had found her a nice little revolver, she said she still needed it. She keeps it under her pillow. I was kind of pleasantly surprised as mom wasn't in to guns and shooting when us kids were young, she wasn't anti gun or anything, she just wasn't interested in them. Lol I don't even know what caliber or kind of pistol she had under her pillow, but I am glad she has it and knows how to use it if she needs it. Better late than never, but Dad taught her how to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
Checked a couple of pawn shops today and they had a Hawes for $350. They have it on Armslist and one other site. The little tab to run the ejector was broken but in fair condition.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
May want to check this date but I’d go for one made before 1973. I think that’s when they started adding transfer bars while it may make the revolver safer it completely changed the way it functions. No more “click click click click” that’s super cool.

$0.02

As to the Wrangler I preordered this one before they were released and have to say I have a better opinion of them than some of you guys. IMO it’s built much better than the Rough Rider and certainly feels more substantial. Nothing wrong with giving Heritage a little competition.

View attachment 247153 View attachment 247154
I’m with you on this one. Granted the bronze and the green are kind of weird but I love the black. It would look better with wooden grips though. I’d really like to have one someday but other things have priority right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts