The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some months ago I bought Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag combo with a 6 ½ inch barrel. The problem has been, I can’t decide what cylinder to keep on it. So I think the only solution is to buy another one, or two, or three.

One with adjustable sights in the 6 ½ or 9 inch barrel lengths.

Then one of the Bird Head models, maybe the 3 inch model. It might make a good pocket gun in 22mag caliber.

One of their two-tone models would top it all off.
I don’t think I could go for the 16 inch model, but who knows.

Yes I like these inexpensive revolvers. They are fun to shoot and fit my budget. Since I plan just to go with only rimfire and shotguns, they would fit right into that.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Some months ago I bought Heritage Rough Rider 22/22mag combo with a 6 ½ inch barrel. The problem has been, I can’t decide what cylinder to keep on it. So I think the only solution is to buy another one, or two, or three.

Then one of the Bird Head models, maybe the 3 inch model. It might make a good pocket gun in 22mag caliber.

Yes I like these inexpensive revolvers. They are fun to shoot and fit my budget. Since I plan just to go with only rimfire and shotguns, they would fit right into that.
I have four of them. Just the silly "safety" bothers me - but not enough to take it out. I have two standard 6 inch; one with the bass fin grips, and two of the bird heads 3 1/2 inch. Like them all for what they are.

You Used-to be able to find them at gun shows for around $100. Today? I wouldn't bet on that low of a price.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought one about 1 month ago. 6 1/2" barrel model. It has transitioned to be one of my favorite firearms to shoot. An inexpensive SAA handgun in .22lr, what's not to like?
Mine has been remarkably accurate. I posted about shooting "popping" leaves from an elevated position (4 levels up from the pond below my back deck) at 75 yards, on **. Took major heat over it. Got flamed by a couple Members. (Because they apparently could not accomplish it, or conceive of it.)
Double hand supported grip off the top of a deck post, taking my time in single action mode. Couple ranging shots. Not extremely difficult. I like it. (Buy one, you will not be disappointed. My 2 cents.)

*It also helped spur my attendance here on TFF.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have four of them. Just the silly "safety" bothers me - but not enough to take it out. I have two standard 6 inch; one with the bass fin grips, and two of the bird heads 3 1/2 inch. Like them all for what they are.

You Used-to be able to find them at gun shows for around $100. Today? I wouldn't bet on that low of a price.

I’m ok with the safety.
Price depends on where you buy it and what model it is. It ranges from about $125 to about $225. The ones with adjustable sights are hard to find right now. So are the Bird Head models.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
The last one I saw was 189.00 but that was before the rona. The safety is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The last one I saw was 189.00 but that was before the rona. The safety is a deal breaker for me.
An accidental discharge with a 22 SA revolver decades ago, is the reason I like the safety.
Looking at my LGS online this morning, they show a 22lr 6.5in model for $126.82 and a combo one for $160.91.

Reactions: mrhonda

·
Registered
390 Posts
I paid $165 for mine about a mo. ago at auction. (Doh) plus shipping, plus transfer fee. (Doh) I had never seen one in a shop. Jumped on an auction when it had about 4-5 minutes to go.

I still like it. It is a fun, accurate gun. I have no problem with the Safety. Kinda like it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have had one for several years and it is a ice little gun to shoot. I keep the .22 mag cylinder in mine because I have another .22 LR revolver. Best of luck, stay safe and God Bless!

Reactions: Shotgun101

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
My wife has one and we just bought the WMR cylinder for it. It’s a fun little gun but I really want one of the Ruger Wranglers if I ever get another .22 revolver.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered the 9inch barrel model. It does have the fixed sites on it. I might leave the mag cylinder on this one.
Next will be the Bird Head model.
My hunting days are almost over, so I'm just looking for things I can take out back and have some fun with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 4.5” barrel, nine shot, 22lr/wmr hrr. in my experience 22wmr needs the 6.5” barrel. i am happy for its unusual safety. for awhile it was my stash gun, kept secured in a lock box at my elderly mom’s apartment before she moved into a nursing home, when i made short fuse, extended visits with her. nine stingers were sufficient protection then and there. i also have a ruger single six, wrangler and bearcat, but like my the hrr for what it is: an excellent value, easy-learning handgun. two cylinders doubles your chance of finding ammo during a drought. many folks new to firearms would be better served to put off initially getting a semiauto centerfire pistol and start with a hrr.

·
9,716 Posts

No pictures or it never happened.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next get the 16”. When the revolving carbine becomes available in 22 mag I’ll likely add one to the collection.
The 16 inch model popped up on my LGS online store this morning for $ 176. But I've already spent my gun money for this month.

Their online store is just what they can get from the warehouse/distributor. I usually check it out over my morning coffee. Items don't seem to last very long on the site. So one has to be quick.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
51 Posts
We have had our Heritage RR 6 inch w/adj sights [recommended] and .22 mag cylinder a bunch of years now.
Very accurate [surprising for the $] and makes most range days.
Slow to load -slow to shoot. Perfect for the grandkids.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have had our Heritage RR 6 inch w/adj sights [recommended] and .22 mag cylinder a bunch of years now.
Very accurate [surprising for the $] and makes most range days.
Slow to load -slow to shoot. Perfect for the grandkids.
The ones with adjustable sights are hard to find right now. So are the regular 9 inch models.

My 6 inch model shoots a little low, but a little " Kentucky windage " solved that problem I can just go out back and shoot. I think the single action does save ammo. . .

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My LGS called me yesterday afternoon and said my revolver just came in. I'll admit I did breath a sigh of relief to hear that. With todays market one just never knows.

When I order something like this, I put down a deposit and they put it in layaway until I pick it up. Since no one will buy me a gun for Christmas, I might leave it in layaway until then. I might even wrap it and put it under the tree, lol.

I'm pretty loyal to this LGS, I've bought my last 6 firearms from them. It's a small place, but great people.

Reactions: WillieB

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
My LGS called me yesterday afternoon and said my revolver just came in. I'll admit I did breath a sigh of relief to hear that. With todays market one just never knows.

When I order something like this, I put down a deposit and they put it in layaway until I pick it up. Since no one will buy me a gun for Christmas, I might leave it in layaway until then. I might even wrap it and put it under the tree, lol.

I'm pretty loyal to this LGS, I've bought my last 6 firearms from them. It's a small place, but great people.
I’d pick it up. In these times .........just put it in your in safe and wait till Christmas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts