The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Herrington and Richardson .732 from my local gun store for $90 a while back and the owner told me it can ONLY fire .32 smith and Wesson shorts. But everything I read about this gun tells in me I can fire both .32 short and Long. Which one is it? Can it safely fire .32 S&W long without risking damaging the gun?
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Orange Wood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Human body Cosmetics Finger Automotive tire Thumb

·
Registered
854 Posts
The barrel is stamped 32 s&w. If it is not designed to shoot longs the cyl chamber thoats would not be deep enough to let you load them. Like trying to fit a 357mag into a 38spl cyl.

It would be unusual for a 32 s&w made since the 30s not to be a s&w long but it is possible. I have seen similar handguns marked 32 short before that were made in the 60s or 70s as pocket revolvers.

It is normally advised to only use the ammo stamped on the barrel and or frame or slide of the firearm in the firearm.

Others may have more info on that particular model and also if 32s&w and 32s&wl were ever considered the same cartridge.

I do know that because of older top break weaker type models still used the 32 SWL is not factory loaded to its full potential (or at least when the swl came out). I was initally a BP round. The solid top frame that you have is stronger than a top break but you still can only use what the chambers will accept.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have a H&R 732 and it is chambered for .32 S&W Long. The were manufactured well after the conversion to smokeless powder and the creation of the .32 S&W Long.

One thing to not about this model is the mainspring tension plate in some earlier models was made from plastic. It is prone to breakage. You can remove your grips and see if your model has the plastic bushing or a metal one. Numrich sells a replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts