Hey Bob!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/02 9:28:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Hey Bob!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOG has some No 1 Mk IIIs for sale in the "Gunsmith Special" section for $35, no bolt or mag...

Springfield has MKIII bolts for $18, mags for $15...

What's the chance I could end up with a decent Enfield for $68, plus the S/H from SS?

Should I take a chance? Do the MkIII bolts interchange as well as the Mosin Nagant ones? I mean with the rimmed cartridge, just like the Russian, headspace shouldn't be much of a problem is it? (Not much experience with Enfields, I admit...)

How much and where can I get reasonable Go/No Go guages for them?
    A tiger never changes his spots.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/02 9:50:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hey Bob!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    polish - go for it. In fact buy 2 and I'll buy one from you.

I think I've developed a pattern here - Enfields rule! Okay that and I'm looking for some fixer uppers.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/5/02 10:18:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    The $35 sounds very tempting, but them extra two parts are a killer. I think I would just get a complete rifle(G to VG) from them for the $20 extra. This way if it's bad you can send it back. I bet all them $35 specials have crack or destroyed upper handguards.

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/02 10:25:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Flhunter - I'm more interested in the parts - I have the complete Enfields already.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/6/02 12:12:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey Bob!
    What the hey, I like the "project" guns, and there are plenty of parts out there, I may start with ordering one, and when I pick it up, ask Cynthia to let me look at a few more...

If she's in a good mood and not too busy I may get to "hand-pick" some good ones...

She let me do that to some M44s and 91/30 parts guns a couple of months ago, ended up with a PERFECT matching laminated Russian 44 with a busted handguard...for $35....replaced it with one of mine, and kept it, sold the non-matching laminated one I had without the handguard for $60...

And I also got some neat 91/30 transitions, one with a 1920 reciever, one 1929...in not too bad shape...handguard slightly cracked on one, stock cracked behind the reciever on the other, I won't shoot it, just display it, the metal is pretty good....but the 1920 one I've shot,...and for $25 each I can't complain....

I was going to place an order with SS anyway for some MN bolts, I may just order the Enfield stuff at the same time...

I like the Mk IIIs better anyway....
    A tiger never changes his spots.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/6/02 8:07:04 am)
    Interesting proposed project - at least you can go in and look at the guns at SOG. With that plus - go for it! Let us know how it works out. As to the go/no go gauges, I don't know where you would find them.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/6/02 4:01:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Polish, I forgot about that. If you can see what your getting before you buy the $35 parts gun, than by all means go for it!!! I would do the same thing.

T as for getting one just for the extra parts, thats a great idea and I think you have talked me into doing the same thing.

Below is the cheapest place I've found for headspace gauges.
    www.lockstock.com/cart/webcart.cgi?...imless+Calibers&ZN=TEXT&CODE=472097&ITEM=2030 I did not see any in 303 though. You might also check with brownells, I know they carry headspace gauges for around $20.

Edited by: Flhunter at: 3/6/02 4:05:01 pm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/6/02 5:45:16 pm)
    FL, thanks for the link. They do list one for the .303, it's on a separate page for rimmed carts...$13.35, I assume for each one. I don't know why you would need a "Go" guage for a rimmed cartridge, you could just try and chamber a live or fired case, if the bolt won't close, you have found the same condition...too little headspace.

Even though I've read about it before, I REALLY don't understand the difference between a "No Go" and a "Field" guage...seems to me they do the same thing???

The CHEAPEST way is to remove the firing pin, and stick a piece of paper on the bottom of a cartridge, if it closes you have excessive headspace, BUT it's a pain to remove, then replace the firing pin, especially on a Nagant, where the pin is adjustible and must be set each time...

I still like my "tie it to a tire and pull the trigger with a long string" method best...

I do it at least twice, and CAREFULLY check the fired cartridges if it didn't blow up ...if I don't see cracks or bulges on the case in the lower part near the rim, or flattened or protruding primers, (you know, the basic signs of excessive pressure) then I happily bang away. (after untying it of course...)

"It's only money..."

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (3/6/02 6:41:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I didn't bounce around the site like I should have, but I'm glad they have them for us.

Anyways maybe this might be a refresher course for you ploish as I know I get confused between the two also.

Quote:
    "Field" gauge is the "in use expediency" measure. It is for firearms in use (in the field), which have some wear associated with them, and measures up to some selected maximum headspace, normally considered "unsafe". Note there is sometimes some differences in these measurements, as in the British Lee Enfield, with their notoriously sloppy chambers, and the WWII Field gauge, which was longer (more headspace) than the now accepted specifications. There are other examples, but I have experience with this one, and it is well known. While not accepted by all, the use of a field gauge to indicate a "safe to fire" firearm WAS used by all the major military forces during the lifetime of a surplus firearm, and was accepted practice. Is your surplus firearm safe if it "won't close on a field gauge"? It was "safe enough" for use by GIs for the M1 rifle, the British for the Lee-Enfield, etc..., and may have come to you unchanged since that use (as far as headspace). YOU determine what you feel is safe for your useage. IF A FIREARM CLOSES ON A FIELD GAUGE, I recommend that you NOT FIRE that arm. According to acceptable practice, that arm is out of spec, and has excessive headspace, and may be dangerous if fired.

Basically, unless you are installing new barrels, you don't need a "go", and even then, a factory cartridge can provide that (some would flame me on that one!)... no go is nice to verify the condition of the firearm (hey, it passed a no go!)... field is likely the more useful for many surplus arms. I have all three for several calibers, and I have never needed or used the "go", but often use the field and no go..

The information above is located at www.hybrid.ualr.edu/satu/headspace.html

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/7/02 2:26:21 pm)
    Polishshooter - next time you are at SOG, tell them they may have a good marketing potential if they visit our site - lots of us would drool at the opportunity of "first chance" or "good deals" they have come in! I am sure their ears would pick up at the potential for increased revenue -----
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!