The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all know the drill. You get it in your head that you want a certain gun, and soon you're thinking "Food and shelter are so overrated anyway. I really need this thing." Next thing you know, you're coming out of a blackout and there it is in your hand.
I wish the Cimarron Frontier series came in .44 special, but all I found was .44-40 in 7.5" barrel. So I got the Model P. This one has the new safety. Now the Bulldog has a big brother. 馃憤
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

Registered
I'm a little puzzled by your post.

You said you wanted the frontier in 44 Special, but all they had was 44/40 with a seven and a half inch barrel.

So you got the Model P.

That reads to me that you got a gun in 44 Special, not the one you went down there specifically to get because they didn't have that. Then your last comment about the Bulldog getting a big brother - I'm assuming you mean the Charter Bulldog which also is 44 Special.

But from reading the replies it seems like everyone else thinks that you got the 44/40.

So to clear it up for me, did you get a 44 Special or a 44/40?

Reactions: tedwitt

Registered
Y'all know the drill. You get it in your head that you want a certain gun, and soon you're thinking "Food and shelter are so overrated anyway. I really need this thing." Next thing you know, you're coming out of a blackout and there it is in your hand.
I wish the Cimarron Frontier series came in .44 special, but all I found was .44-40 in 7.5" barrel. So I got the Model P. This one has the new safety. Now the Bulldog has a big brother. 馃憤 View attachment 286262
Looks nice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little puzzled by your post.

You said you wanted the frontier in 44 Special, but all they had was 44/40 with a seven and a half inch barrel.

So you got the Model P.

That reads to me that you got a gun in 44 Special, not the one you went down there specifically to get because they didn't have that. Then your last comment about the Bulldog getting a big brother - I'm assuming you mean the Charter Bulldog which also is 44 Special.

But from reading the replies it seems like everyone else thinks that you got the 44/40.

So to clear it up for me, did you get a 44 Special or a 44/40?
I got the .44 special. Looking at the post again, I can see how it could be confusing.

I was looking for a .44 Special with the 7.5" barrel.

Registered
My RSBH, is here by my hand now. (7.5" barrel.)

Currently has .44Special ammo in it.

Registered
I'm still confused - but that is normal for me. If you got a .44 Special - that is one sweet caliber for a single action. I prefer shooting the .44 Special waaaay more than the .44 Magnums for fun and accuracy. It certainly isn't any slouch on performance, either. The pictured revolver is very nice!

You say you were looking for a SA revolver with a 7.5" barrel? The photo look to be that or very close if it isn't. If your post came out wrong - don't feel like the "Lone Stanger" - I do that a lot.

Registered
How do the chamber throats check out. I have a 357 Uberti that has 365 throats. Was thinking about changing the barrel and cylinder out to a 44spl or 45C or even a new 357 cylinder only. If the throats are over size in all of them, I may forget about it and just keep using gas checks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm still confused - but that is normal for me. If you got a .44 Special - that is one sweet caliber for a single action. I prefer shooting the .44 Special waaaay more than the .44 Magnums for fun and accuracy. It certainly isn't any slouch on performance, either. The pictured revolver is very nice!

You say you were looking for a SA revolver with a 7.5" barrel? The photo look to be that or very close if it isn't. If your post came out wrong - don't feel like the "Lone Stanger" - I do that a lot.
I was looking for a .44 special with a 7.5" barrel and preferably no transfer bar. The Frontier 7.5" does not have the transfer bar, as far as I know. But it doesn't come in .44 special; just 44-40. So I got the Model P 7.5" which DOES come in .44 special. But it has the transfer bar. So I got the caliber and length that I wanted, but I didn't get the mechanism I wanted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do the chamber throats check out. I have a 357 Uberti that has 365 throats. Was thinking about changing the barrel and cylinder out to a 44spl or 45C or even a new 357 cylinder only. If the throats are over size in all of them, I may forget about it and just keep using gas checks.
I haven't measured anything. But I've heard that problem is a lot more common with .45 Colts. Not just the caliber...the actual Colt revolvers.

Registered
I never had any 44special when I was a kid. Plenty 45 and 45acp revolvers. I guess 44sp was not popular in these parts. Would see the occasional 44/40 or 38/40 in S&W or Colt DAs, they weren鈥檛 popular either. First 44sp I owned was a Colt SAA NIB that I got on a trade back in early 70s. Only shot it couple hundred rounds before trading off. This is about the time I got Magnumtized. Had a bucket of 44mgs, still do. Hardly ever shoot 44mg except for deer hunting. The rest of my 44 caliber shooting is 44sp in S&W M24s. I鈥檝e got 9 m29s and none of them shoot as well as the m24s, with
44sp or 44sp loads in 44mg brass. This works out with the 38sp when shot in 38/44 vs m27 the same way. The guns and ammo for specials edge the magnums in most cases. * there are always exceptions.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Machine gun
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

Premium Member
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag. For the most part, I shoot 44 specials out of it. They are a lot easier on my arthritic hands.

Reactions: Steve H.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never had any 44special when I was a kid. Plenty 45 and 45acp revolvers. I guess 44sp was not popular in these parts. Would see the occasional 44/40 or 38/40 in S&W or Colt DAs, they weren鈥檛 popular either. First 44sp I owned was a Colt SAA NIB that I got on a trade back in early 70s. Only shot it couple hundred rounds before trading off. This is about the time I got Magnumtized. Had a bucket of 44mgs, still do. Hardly ever shoot 44mg except for deer hunting. The rest of my 44 caliber shooting is 44sp in S&W M24s. I鈥檝e got 9 m29s and none of them shoot as well as the m24s, with
44sp or 44sp loads in 44mg brass. This works out with the 38sp when shot in 38/44 vs m27 the same way. The guns and ammo for specials edge the magnums in most cases. * there are always exceptions. View attachment 286432 View attachment 286433
I love the S&W model 24. Hard to find these days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts