Hi all, newbie question.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Levi England, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Levi England

Levi England New Member

I've been shooting fo 50 years, have Military training and really believe in firearm safety. I own Glocks and a Henry. Have a question. I reloaded 30 .06 Waaaay back when but its bee probably 35 yrs. Due to all the BS associated with ammo i am back into reloading . 40 SW ia impossible to find even with a Calif. license. My 410 is for varmints and clays. Damned things can go for as much as $2.00 a shell. I can find NO info on reloading .410 bore. No dies for my press. Any ideas?

chaswea, flboots and howlnmad like this.
  2. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Get a MEC, Pacific or Lee LoadAll .410 loader. Used ones occassionally show up.

Shotshell load manuals have many recipes. .410 is CHEAP to load and not difficult.

I remember years ago, there were .410 dies available for metallic cartridge presses

The 5 MECs I have, have never let me down

3. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading. I can't remember any 410 dies for regular reloading presses (don't mean they don't exist, I just haven't seen any), and agree with Mr. Cogburn, a dedicated shotshell reloading press is the best way to get started.

4. BAH

BAH Member

I was having the same problem of finding reloading formulas for my Judges. I have a MEC for 12 ga and 16 ga (and MEC will do 410) but I do my 410 by hand. I didn't want plastic wads left all over the property so I was on my own.

<WARNING> My life, my finger, my face, my gun. You are on your own. <WARNING>

I reuse my plastic 410 hulls. Cut the fold off the end. Prime with W209. Add 7 gn of Alliant Unique. Pack #N7 .410ga x .070 Nitro card. Pack #FC410 x 1/2" Fiber Cushion wad. Add 250 gn #9 shot. Pack #OS41 .410 ga OverShot Card. Add Elmers Glue over the top to seal in the goodness.

Magtech .410 brass will NOT fit in all Judges, that is why I have 2. These use a WLP primer. Then 7 gn Alliant Unique. Pack NC#430 Nitro Card. Pack a FC#430 1/2" Fiber Cushion Wad. Add 250 gn #9 shot. Pack #OS450 Overshot card. And Elmers Glue to seal the deal.

I have also used Win 231 powder but I like Alliant Unique better.

I use bolts to deprime and pack shell contents. The black one has seen a lathe. The silver one is just to pack contents. Shotshell components came from BallisticProducts.com 20200629_063152.jpg

Telcotech, JRK57, pdkfishing and 2 others like this.
  5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My first thought was a Lee Load All but I didn't know if they made them for .410. Do or did they ever make the whack-a-mole for the .410? That could be another option.

And welcome from the Ozarks.

BlackEagle likes this.
  6. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

sharps4590 and howlnmad like this.
  7. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to TFF. As BAH stated, easy to reload plastic 410 hulls by hand. I use plastic wads and follow published data, except for an overshot wad sealed with candle wax. Hodgdon's online website has plenty of data. :twocents:

BlackEagle and sharps4590 like this.
  8. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just a note LEE load all will not load .410.

Larry

sharps4590 likes this.
  9. ricochet rabbit

ricochet rabbit Well-Known Member

Get a manual first, then pick up a press. I agree with Lee Load All 2 or MEC. While you're acquiring these collect your spent hulls and components. The manual will tell give you choices on shotshell primers, powders and wads along with the recipe's.
    I have a Lee Load All 2 that I bought 2nd hand with 20 gauge set up and ordered the 12 gauge set up from FS Reloading. It works very well for newbies and it's easy to use. I don't have an MEC so I can't speak for them but I have heard nothing but good of them.
    Lee made a set up for the Lee LoadAll 2 for 410 gauge.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020 at 8:19 PM
    Larry Isaacs likes this.
  10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

They would be easy enough to load by hand and if BPI makes a roll crimper, that would be an option.

pdkfishing likes this.
  11. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

BlackEagle likes this.
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

13. ricochet rabbit

ricochet rabbit Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a roll crimper, I saw a post somewhere a while back, don't remember where but this guy bought a pre-made wooden wheel for like wooden hobby cars and trucks. According to the poster it fit 12 gauge shot shells perfectly. He put a small bolt through the center with a washer and nut on the opposite side. He chucked the bolt into a drill press and used it for a roll crimper, supposedly worked great. I'll see if I can find the post and link it.

14. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Another vote for MEC, especially if you’re going to do much. I have one for 410, 20, 16, 12 and may even have one for 28 gauge. They are built to last a lifetime. While 410 is about the most expensive to buy its the cheapest to reload. Enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020 at 8:19 AM