The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Friends, new guy here with quick question RE; Ammo load 12 gauge shotgun. I just picked up a nice Mossberg 12 gauge . Holds 4 rounds in the chamber ( I believe), and I have the top ammo carrier for 4 more rounds to load as needed.. Now, I wanted to ask you gents what you think about my ammo load.
I have a box of 3" Mag 1 and 1/4 -#3 Winchester Super -X , a box of #4 buck 27 pellet Winchester Super-X, a new box of Winchester Double X 00 Buck 2 and 3/4" 9 pellet, and a new box of Winchester Double-X 00 Buck 15 pellet to get down to business.

Now, I was wanting to load this weapon , and being not an expert, the idea came into my head to load 1 round of #4 27 pellet to scatter the place..then second a round of f 3" Mag 1 and 1/4 -#3 Winchester Super -X to acheive similar results, but with a more targeted approach, then 1 round of Double X 00 Buck 2 and 3/4" 9 pellet, and finally one round of Double-X 00 Buck 15 pellet for when the tough get going.
I know about penetration issues, ain't gonna be noone home except me and the intruders.
Does this sound like a good arrangement, to get wide scatter first, then narrow it down?
I might go with all 00 Buck in the ammo carrier on top.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
Do whatever floats your boat but sounds like you’re way overthinking this. I keep a 12 gauge Winchester 1897 Pump handy and loaded with 5 rounds of 2 3/4” 00 buck. I guess given your choices I’d try the 3” mag 00 buck to see if the recoil was tolerable and if so? 15 pellets of 00 buckshot is always better than 9. Some guys here load smaller shot but I figure if that was superior that’s what the military and police would be using. FYI only one round goes in the chamber at a time. What you have is an extended mag-tube (magazine).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Shootouts are NOT scripted; they never occur the same way twice. Forget about wide patter, short pattern etc. My preference as a retired LEO Firearms instructor is this: 2 1/4" 00 buckshot. For home defense, that's all you need. Magnum 3" loads are great for outdoors but will be deafening in a home defense situation and the ball penetration could be very dangerous in a home..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had read about the danger of keeping a chambered shell as most shotguns are not “drop safe” or in other words, could fire a chambered shell if the shotgun dropped accidentally.

I think lucky gunner website has a good article about this. In that and other articles it discusses the potential danger of a “flier” pellet in 00 buckshot loads, usually a 9 pellet load per shell. I think there are some 8 pellet 00 buckshot shells you can get. Although it has been some time since I addressed this myself, I believe I load federal flight control wad #1 buckshot. In my home defense shotgun. May be time to re consider my own choice. I will also say that I’m not entirely certain on that #1 buckshot because has been some time. Looks like after a quick search, they now suggest #00 8 pellet buckshot with flight control wad.

here is a link or address.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If it is inside your home any will work from #9 birdshot through 00 buck. The range is not far enough for it to scatter out to form a pattern. If your rooms are longer than 30 ft then 00 buck would be best.

Most use std 2-3/4 OO buckshot loads - in a full choke they are effective out to around a hundred yards for a pattern hit and even further if you hit with a single pellet. Heavier shot like #2 also hit hard at longer ranges but #8 or #9 wont do much out past 25yrds or so because the individual shot is too light to have much energy.

If you have a shorter barreled gun with a open choke shoot a piece of 5/8" plywood from about 10 yards. If your shot wont go through it go to a heavier shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts