The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a gunsmith experienced with the old Hi Standard pistols. I am going to be getting my dad's pistol soon and it needs a little bit of work. I think the metal in the firing pin, the large outside portion that is contacted by the hammer, has softened over time. My gunsmith worked on it several times. Each time it would function well for a few rounds and then quit. I may try to overhaul it myself with a parts kit from Brownell's but would prefer to at least talk to someone familiar with these pistols. I want to say the model is an HB but I don't have it in front of me. When working, it is a wonderful shooting, very accurate pistol. Plus, my grandfather won it in a poker game. So, there's that. Anytime guys are betting pistols or horses, you know it's a serious game. Thanks.

David

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
HS .22 autos aren't the best gun for a "do it yourself" project. It's a heirloom, so you want it done right the first time. I could do it for you, but I don't have an FFL to receive it. @goofy here on the forums may take that on, give him a chance to see this post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HS .22 autos aren't the best gun for a "do it yourself" project. It's a heirloom, so you want it done right the first time. I could do it for you, but I don't have an FFL to receive it. @goofy here on the forums may take that on, give him a chance to see this post.
I think you are correct and will error on the side of caution and have someone else work on it. I don't have it yet but will shortly. Dad carried this pistol when backpacking and camping with me and it stayed in the drawer of his nightstand. It has a lot of personal value and I don't want to mess it up. I would like to speak with any gunsmith who is knowledgeable about these weapons and we can go from there.

Trap55,
What is your background with these? Is the problem I am describing something common to HS pistols?

David

Trap55,
What is your background with these? Is the problem I am describing something common to HS pistols?

David
I just saw you have over 6,000 posts on this forum. Sorry, I didn't know you were so involved with them. Please tell me what you think and your recommendation. There is a shop close by that has a $20 handling fee for the FFL issue.

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
Check out some of Goofy’s work.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Where is close by? That's a lot of country.:) I've restored more than I can remember. There's several things that could be a problem, but without seeing it, I could guess all day. One of the biggest problems is cause by shooting high velocity ammo in them, it just beats everything up. John Stimson is a member here, I know quite a bit about the HS's, but it's a drop in the bucket to what he knows about them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts