The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I obtained a Hi Standard HD Military pistol that frequently (2 times out of a 10 round clip) doesn't fire and requires the hammer to be recocked and the trigger pulled a second time. Any opinions whether this is more likely a fireing pin problem vs. a hammer spring issue or vise versa?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Could also be an ammo problem. Or a chamber mouth problem. (Lots of dry firing may have "dented" the chamber mouth and it no longer offers a good solid base for the rim.)
What does the primer strike look like on the misfires? Is it weak or strong?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never thought to look. I'll be out shooting in the next few days and will observe and report back. Thanks for the direction. I'll also take a good look at the chamber mouth for any obvious flaws.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
More than likely an ammo problem. Great call from Deadin on maybe a dented chamber mouth. If it's not the ammo or a dent at the chamber mouth - things narrow down to the hammer spring. Not all that common, but if a firearm is stored with the hammer cocked - the hammer spring can weaken over extended storage.

I like to make sure all of my weapons are 'de-cocked' when I store them. I inherited a 9mm PO8 Luger that had been stored for more than 30 years with a fully loaded magazine and the action cocked. The springs were ruined and I had to change them out (the mainspring on a Luger is a PITA to replace)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A friend had a really nice HS Trophy that was doing something similar. I had pulled the hammer spring and fount it several turns short. (Somebody was tgrying to improve the trigger pull.
Replaced the spring and all was well.

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
The new browning 22 ammo is terrible as is the Remington bulk packs. I have had 1 in 20 misfire with the Remington and have read reports of 1 in 10 misfires with the Browning stuff.

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
The new browning 22 ammo is terrible as is the Remington bulk packs. I have had 1 in 20 misfire with the Remington and have read reports of 1 in 10 misfires with the Browning stuff.
I agree with your statement that the Browning 22lr ammo is bad. It is the worst ammo I have ever bought. Never again.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
First place I'd look is inside the bolt and clean it good. Then I'd suspect the firing pin spring. I've never hd a commercial round of ammo of any type not fire for me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
One of the common Ruger .22 autopistol problem is crud build up around the chamber mouth. The crud cushions the strike of the firing pin blow. Check anyway.

If it's an older pistol, check the firing spring as well. Springs wear out from usage.

Not to mention .22 rimfire ammunition is really poor these days.

·
No Power Options
13,576 Posts
Hard to make any call with the limited information. Doesn`t fire every time......misfires two times every magazine. Need to know a little more. The Hi-Standard HD Military is one of the more robust pistols they produced. Short and long barreled versions.....which do you have.

They are also not for the faint of heart to break down without knowing AND having the guide paperwork fold out.

I at one time had 6 , 3 of each barrel lengths. None ever failed to fire.
These pistols are built to take punishment concerning shooting. They should go 10k with just light cleaning before replacing anything.
It`s been some time since I had one in my hand but I do not believe dry firing this one does not allow the firing pin to strike the chamber mouth.

I can tell you for a fact that back when I was really into .22 pistols the greatest repair I never made was limp wrist-ing. As folks shot down the magazine they began to loosen they`re grip. The second was magazine issues in that order.

Good luck and let us know more.
Quality pistol

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a bunch of HS's and this issue comes up often. Personally I've only had one very old and worn hd military that would sometimes not fully cock the hammer. Somebody shot that gun every day for 50 years. They got the goody out of it.

After several parts replaced, it turned out to be just plain old and WORN. A pin that holds the hammer had reamed out the holes in the frame it sat in. It wasn't worth replacing at that point.

Prescut

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I obtained a Hi Standard HD Military pistol that frequently (2 times out of a 10 round clip) doesn't fire and requires the hammer to be recocked and the trigger pulled a second time. Any opinions whether this is more likely a fireing pin problem vs. a hammer spring issue or vise versa?
OK, it may be fixed.

I looked at the shell bottoms last time I was at the range and the indent of the firing pin was barely visible. So I ordered a replacement firing pin which was clearly a hair or two longer than the original. After a little smoothing and straightening (yes, it was slightly bent and bound up in the channel), I installed it and tested it by removing the projectile and powder from a .22 long rifle and firing it with just the primer remaining. Now the indent is clearly visible and much deeper than before. Next step is the range but I'm confidence it will fire more consistently.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I'll come back if it still misfires on a regular basis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts