The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this handgun is? My buddy brought it back from the middle east during a deployment in 2003. Apparently, it came from a palace? Any ideas on value? Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, it looks like a Custom Shop Renaissance Argent. It could also be a custom engraved model too...I'm not familiar at all with the engraving patterns used by the custom shop.
With the initials and by the pattern, the grips don't look like standard Custom Shop panels either...makes me think it might've been a custom order gun.

Going by the serial number, (If I see RN for the date code) it's a 1979 model. Not early, but not real new either.
Date of manufacture info here: http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

And yeah, they're fairly spendy. Anywhere from $2000 up to $4000 for any custom Shop Hi-Power.
I've only seen a couple of Renaissance models "in the wild" in my area, but some of the bigger retail gun shops had one or two to dress up their Browning displays. Never saw anyone buying them though...too many broke farmers up here. :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You can look up a whole lot of stuff about High Powers on the Internet. John Browning began the design back in the 1920's, but died before it was finalized. FN finished it, and put it on the market in 1935. It was the first "high capacity" military pistol (the magazine holds 13 rounds) and sold all over Europe. During WWII, the Germans forced FN to continue making it for them, while a factory in Canada tooled up to make a copy for the Allies.

A lot of armies either kept using it or adopted it after the war, and some still do, although it has been getting replaced by more modern guns. FN still makes it, and so do Argentina and India, at least.

This one has factory target sights, not the military fixed sights.

I wonder what the "S. SH" on the grips mean? I would not be surprised if it was Iraqi loot from Kuwait, but that's idle speculation.

Thanks for putting up a first-rate photo!

PS - FN revised the design in minor ways in the 1950's to make it easier to manufacture. This gun was made after those changes - the extractor is the most obvious change.

·
Registered
17,299 Posts
My understanding is that external extractor is post-1963. Not the 50s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The serial number on the bbl hood can be researched, but it looks exactly like one in the shop I worked in while in South Carolina. I had a BHP with a similar SN purchased in the 70s. Looks legit to me.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I wouldn't let your "buddies" name be revealed because we weren't allowed to bring back ANY FUNCTIONING FIREARMS when I was in the USMC. Just clothing ,magazines,helmets,gas masks,etc...Firearms and explosives....NO

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
That is a standard rennaissance engraving pattern. The grips appear to be factory custom ordered.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
SSH...

Saddom S. Hussien? (not sure of the spelling)

I would think the leader would have such a nice pistola...

It would seem obvious to check out for sure...There may be records of the purchase some where. Or not.....

Regards, Kirk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Talk about a paradox, what if this could be 100% proven to be Saddam Hussein's pistol? Hypothetically, could it ever be auctioned/sold legally since it was brought into the US illegally?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts