high point semi-autos

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jumm, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jumm

jumm New Member

What does anyone know about these cheap guns? Thanks, Jumm

2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have never owned any, and I've only shot one once (9mm). It functioned OK, but the felt recoil was strong and the gun was heavy (because of the blowback design).

From what I've read, there are very few negative reports about the carbines, but very few positive reports about the pistols. I don't think they belong in the "junk" category like some other inexpensive manufacturers (Bryco, Jennings, Raven, etc.), but fit and finish (and perhaps sometimes function) will be lower than most other manufacturers.

3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

My son in law has a 45 cal Hi-Point. He likes it quite a bit. He really hasnt the funds for anything much more expensive so it is the best he can manage at the time. Perhaps one day I will give him my G21, or perhaps not.

4. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Great Plinkers but don't trust your life with them....

mike
    gn

5. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

A friend of mine has the .45 and has had no problems with it. He purchased it three or four years ago and likes it. Personally I think they're ugly, but at the time I think he paid under $200 for a new .45 which is hard to beat. I don't know what they go for now.
    Here's a link to a Shooting Times review

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/hipoint_100605/

6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

thats the general answer on all the high points they work good and are reliable but as ugly as 10 miles of dirt road

7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I had a 995 carbine and still have the CF380. Never had a problem with either one. the 995 was accurate a hell, ate anything that I gave it. The CF380 does buck hard but has great sights and since it is heavier than most 380 autos it stayed on target. Shoots nice groups at 30 feet. Overall I know there cheap and the triggers are long and creepy but for a first gun for someone especially someone thats a little strapped right now, you can really go wrong. Lifetime warrenty is nice to. I broke the trigger on my 380, called MKSsupply (distributor for Hipoint.) and had a new trigger in 2 days.

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the carbines are great inexpensive fun to add to the collection.... the pistols are pieces of crap that arent worth the plastic they are made out of. Just the opinion of a local gunsmith that has had more of these things on my desk than I care to speak about...

9. turbo daddy

turbo daddy New Member

I have the 40 and love it pull the trigger and it goes boom lead goes where it is supposed to. also they are so heavy when you run out of bullets you can use it as a club [ nice and heavy].

10. he-bear

he-bear New Member

I have a 45 and I like it. I also see it for what it is a ugly, heavy and cheap gun. It also is accurate, reliable and has on of the best waranties around. For what I paid I could not go wrong and for those that can not afford a $350 ++ pistol it is the way to go.

11. WALTERSS

WALTERSS New Member

I HAVE A 9MM AND A 45. THE 45 IS TOO HEAVY. THE 9 IS A GREAT, FUN, EASY TO CLEAN GUN. NEVER HAD A MISS FIRE. CARRY IT SOMETIMES FOR CCW.

12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

My son has a 9mm that he picked up from somebody getting a divorce a couple of years ago for next to nothing Not the prettiest looking handgun I've ever seen, but it's never failed to feed, fire, or extract. Shoots anything you feed it.

13. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I have a C9 copmact 9mm and I really like it. Once I got it broke in it hasn't had any feeding issues. It doesn't like Winchester target ammo much but most everything else it likes. It was 145 bucks when I got it. Cheap, ugly, not the best gun out there but not the worst either. I like my Ruger a lot better but the High Point is a lot of fun to shoot.

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had the opportunity to shoot one of those butt-ugly things a few weeks ago. The young fellow who had it said that it was all he could afford. I am happy that the younger generation is still taking interest in shooting and guns.

But, anyway, back to the gun - I ask the owner if I could fire a few rounds through it. I was truly surprised how good the thing shot. The trigger was not too good but it went bang every time and very accurate (at about 15 yards).

I ended up giving him a couple hundred rounds of 9mm to shoot (as long as he picked up the brass and brought it back to me). Gave me some reloading time, too!!

15. poobear

poobear New Member

I have the .40 cal and it works great. Never had any problems at all. It may be ugly but it fires every time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009