High Standard 102

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Smashemflat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Hey folks - long time no talk. Crappy work schedule these days....

Anyway - stumbled on something and couldn't pass it up. I bought a High Standard 102 - "Sport King" Ser # 865XXX. It came with a 6 and 4" barrel as well as 2 mags. I've attempted to look this up on Stimsons' pages, but with no luck. Ser# is too high for a 102 - so I'm not sure what I've found. Oh, came with High Standard walnut grips too. They are factory, but not sure of they came with the pistol. Shoots well, paid $200. Did I get taken? I'll try and get some pics up later.

2. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

IMO.......you didn't steel it ....but you got a very good buy ! Especially if its in great shape and w/ the extra barrel. I passed up on one a mth ago w/ 5.5" barrel, exc. condition for $275. I should have bought it, it was at a gun show, and when I returned to the dealer.....you guessed it....it was gone!!:mad:

3. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

S/N 865,xxx probably shipped in September 1958 or later. An exact serial number can allow an exact ship date and the catalog number which would determine if the gun left the factory with two barrels.

I find nothing on Stimson's pages that would sugggest that this serial number is to high for a 102 series pistol.

Original magazines for a pistol of this vintage would have been the cadmium plated version.

4. 45Smashemflat

Thanks for info! One mag is silver looking which I assume to be cadmium plated. I'd call it in "decent shape." Short barrell still has white lettering and is in cleaner shape than longer barrell. Longer barrell has typical holster wear. Gun has worn blue - aged patina- overall. Sorry digital camera is out of commission right now. Serial number is 86573X - does that get you close enough? Seriously, I appreciate the insight. This was a "stumble on" deal at work.

5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Sport Kings did not have filled lettering from the factory.

All the guns in the 865,73x range were Sport Kings with shipments ranging from early September to mid November of 1958.

Only two of those ten guns shipped as a two barrel combos.

6. 45Smashemflat

SG - so does that mean the shorter barrel was bought later, or ordered? I really don't know much about High Standards other than a friend had one when we were kids and it was quite the shooter. This one just felt good in the hand and the price was right (read - had cash on hand, dangerous combo with me an available guns...)

What about the grips? What I've read is the sport kings came with plastic grips. Given the details you have shared, would it have been possible that the original owner (whose son I purchased it from) purchased the gun in standard configuration and then ordered the shorter barrel and walnut grips later?

7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

Sport Kings up through the 103 series had plastic grips and in the 107 and SH series ( the military grip angel frames) they had walnut grips.
    SOme owners have replaced plastic grips with walnut grips from the factroy or with grips found at gun shows, on teh internet or other sources. There is simply no way of knowing who might have changed teh grips after it left the factroy.

Some owners fill the lettering on their guns. The Factory did on some of the top models but which models and teh color of teh filoing material varies with time. SOme owners of single barrel guns have created tow barrel sets themselves or have bought a two barrel set created after the gun left the factroy. The serial number tells the story. Of teh two barrel sets I have researched, just over half were not factroy creations.

We cannot rule out the possibility that yours is factroy two barrel set where one barrel has had teh lettering filled. With one barrel having the letters filled, and the other not, it seems likely tha thtis is not a factroy set. Without teh serial number I cannot look it up in the factroy records.