The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question: Are there ANY High Standard 9-shot .22L cylinders that can be used in a Model W-106 Double Nine Convertible revolver? The original .22L cylinder is long gone and I want to get one to swap in for target shoot use.

As the title says, I now own a model W-106 High Standard Double Nine Convertible .22 revolver with walnut grips. Based on the serial number it dates from 1975-76. I remember being with Dad and Mom when Dad bought it in 1976, though. It came with both the .22L and .22Mag cylinders. Dad didn't use it much and left the .22Mag cylinder in it.
Many years ago he loaned it to my husband to put down injured/dying market hogs. I got the revolver back from the farm and cleaned it. Guns ought not to smell like hog crap. I asked my Dad for the .22L cylinder as I want to do some target shooting with this nice piece of work. He has lost it at some point. We've searched. It's gone.
I want to get one, obviously aftermarket, as Numrich is sold out. Short of trying to buy another Double Nine Convertible that has the .22L cylinder I am at a loss of where to turn. I have not been able to find any collectors or gunsmiths locally that can tell me if any other cylinders will safely interchange with this particular gun.
In closing, yeah, I've had words with my husband over the condition it is in. Still shoots straight, though.
HI-Standard W106 A.jpg Hi-Standard W106 B.jpg Hi-Standard W106 C.jpg Hi-Standard W106 D.jpg

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Just make sure your timing is right. It's probably a 99.9% chance that everything will be good to go. The only thing that can go wrong is the timing. Find a dowel that just fits inside the bore and if it goes full length into cylinder you're good to go. The worst that can happen is the bolt won't lock the cylinder in place. If that happens it might spit a little lead. If it was me I'd jump on it while I could.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, folks. You sold me. There is another one like it that I am watching elsewhere so if this one is gone when I go try to buy in in a minute then I'll get the other one. Then the trick will be finding a gunsmith - a good one.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
Ok, folks. You sold me. There is another one like it that I am watching elsewhere so if this one is gone when I go try to buy in in a minute then I'll get the other one. Then the trick will be finding a gunsmith - a good one.
You snoozed and lost. I checked it earlier and it was sold.

·
Registered
86 Posts
These cylinders are not strictly interchangeable due to manufacturing tolerances and or design changes. The W-104, W-105, and W-106 .22 LR cylinders are the same but the W-106 has a different crane assembly so I don't know if earlier crane assemblies will work for you. Manufacturing tolerance stack required the assembler to select one of five different hands ( with a slightly different length, to achieve proper indexing.) to achieve proper function. SARCO bought the revolver parts designs and tooling at the closing auction in 1984 but there is no sign that they have made these parts available to the public.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts