The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new .22 LR Marlin xt-22ro and looking to do some small game hunting with it, but I'm looking to pick up a box of whatever the highest velocity .22 LR i can find. Price isn't too much of an issue because I'm not using it too much at the range, but I'm also not looking to pay more that 20 for 50 rounds. Any help/input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I know you're looking for HV ammo, but be advise ( if you are not already aware of it ), HV may not be as accurate in your firearm as other less speedy ammo. I've had rifles that delivered pinpoint accuracy with CCI, and others that would not even print a group with it. Almost every .22 rifle I've owned liked different ammo. I had one rifle that shot better with Winchester standard velocity ammo that it did with dedicated target loads. You need to spend some time at the range with different ammo to decide which is better. Unless of course you are just looking to spray and pray:)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just purchased a new .22 LR Marlin xt-22ro and looking to do some small game hunting with it, but I'm looking to pick up a box of whatever the highest velocity .22 LR i can find. Price isn't too much of an issue because I'm not using it too much at the range, but I'm also not looking to pay more that 20 for 50 rounds. Any help/input would be appreciated.
I do my small game hunting with standard velocity 40 grain solids because they are accurate and the solid bullet nails them down without blowing up the meat I want to eat. Above posters are correct, find the most accurate load for your gun and use that. an extra 50 or 350 or 550 fps isn't going to mean a hill of beans if you miss. Something every hunter should think about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input gents, definatly gonna spend time behind the rifle with a variety of ammo to see what she likes best

·
Garandaholic
9,515 Posts
Aguila Supermax are currently the highest velocity on the market today. They make them in solid and hollow point.
Over 1700 fps claimed and I've seen vids of chrony's confirming this.
Be aware, the OAL is standard on these, but the case length very slightly longer. Some automatics might not feed these properly.
My Ruger 10/22 and SR22 feed them fine, and of course my lever Henry does too.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
My mossberg 715t wants the fastest I can find, and that is cci stingers. 1640 fps. $6.99 at a local gun store for 50.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Everyone has given you good advive. The only thing I have to add is: "Good Luck Findying any type of .22 right now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts