Hoarding Mentality

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by laterunner, Apr 10, 2009.

1. laterunner

laterunner New Member

Hi,

I recently posted a request because I'm building my first benchrest/prairie dog rifle and am looking for enough primers to get me through the summer (500-1000). This afternoon I came across a store with 2000 small rifle primers. I took what I think I’ll need through at least June and left them with 1500 on the shelf.

I appreciate those good folks who replied to my first post and that they are genuinely concerned that a fellow shooter has primers. Many other folks implied we should join the hoarding. But what these folks generally informed me of has stuck in my crop for a couple days now; it disturbs me that the "quality of life" for all of us in the shooting community is a little stressed right now solely because we’re unnecessarily bringing it on ourselves. I look at us acting defensive with this hoarding mentality and perpetuating totally unrealistic fears in emails and forums. Good friends who are otherwise level-headed are asking me what I think about his grabbing up the latest 20 cal whatever that will shoot through a vest. Tell me honestly what there is to be worried about that an 870 next to the bedpost won’t adequately address, and apply more faculties than the stem of your brain when you form your reply. ( That’s not a dig; I’m asking people to think and act more reasonably.) This fight- or-flight mode isn’t doing any of us much good right now, save the manufacturers and suppliers.

I think several of those who replied and others who currently hold the hoarding mindset are missing a critical point that goes beyond supplies and reflects a weakness in the entire community and threatens us more than a few extreme liberals might. Why would I want to take more primers (or anything else) than I will use and prevent others from having what they need especially in these times when there is naturally a heightened sense of concern? Do we want so much to have more problems that we go out and create them for ourselves? The extra primers (or whatever) that I take and would not use would be of no use to anyone, and their absence on the market would perpetuate the false sense that there are not enough for all of us to have plenty of supplies.

Occasionally I hear concern raised about the future of our shooting sports and that there are fewer and fewer young people joining the sports at the same time there are declining opportunities to shoot and hunt. Under these relatively slow pressures, doesn't it make a little more sense to keep as many people who are already shooters involved in shooting rather than adding one more hassle that would discourage them from staying in or expanding their enjoyment in the sport? Do we really want our thoughts and actions to say, "Me first, Comrade?" To me that's not a community. I think we all know golfers and bowlers who are former hunters because for them hunting changed from a means of relaxing to a competition for places to hunt. You can draw the parallels with shortages of our other resources including shooting supplies. I have a feeling that a disgruntled former hunter/shooter is likely to be a lot less supportive of our political causes than Joe Schmoe liberal who really doesn’t care either way whether people hunt just so long as he can marry his best friend and drive a battery powered roller skate.

A lot of what I hear seems to come from a concern that the current administration is planning to go after our ability to own or use our guns. It's the same old hype that infests our thinking every time there is a new democratic administration. We hear a rumor hear a statement from a strong-minded extreme liberal and we react like something has already happened to our favorite past-time. I vote like most of the rest of the people on here, but do have to ask, "Where is people's rationality?" When we stop and think it, do we really believe this government will attempt to prevent us from shooting? Aren't there still too many voters who shoot? And, don't most democrats either care less that others shoot or are shooters themselves? I’m thinking that if there were that much hatred for hunting or for guns, I’d be hearing these comments on the street as often as I hear about abortion or tax increases, etc. I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard anyone say they are adamant about taking away all guns and actually intending to back that idea. (Sure, it’s said but not as a prevalent topic of conversation and not by anyone who holds it as any kind of priority.) The shooting community is strong and active politically, I don't see why we need to defeat ourselves by turning our own people off for no immediate reason. (Yes, fear is a tool to keep us attentive, active, and sending money, but there is such thing as too much fear.)

At times like this we begin to see who is cool and level-headed and who is tripping over remote fears that they allow others to perpetuate in their minds. Sure, keep active in the political scene, but maybe ease up a little on the panic and take a break from all the drama. That money, time, and energy would be better invested in introducing someone new to your favorite sport.

Laterunner

2. aganger

aganger New Member

Laterunner, I agree with you. In the past I would visit the area stores a couple times a year and buy what I thought would get me thru the year as far as powder and primers ect. The place where I shop has been closed since the election and only does internet sales now due to high demand. I have also noted items I have purchased in the last year for $35.00 is now $180.00. I don't know if this is due to demand or something else. Seems like we saw this back when Clinton was elected and it passed after several months and supplies caught back up.:)

3. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Well let me remind you gentleman of something that recently happened. Just weeks ago the DOD overnight put Georgia Arms OUT OF BUSINESS! by stating that all military brass had to be shreaded. It took Georgia Arms sleepless nights gathering it's customers to put pressure on the DOD to reverse their dicission. THIS IS NO JOKE!

You should have a look at this.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5773748/description.html

Limited life primers. This is no joke also. This was paid for back in the Clinton days with your tax money. And the US govt ownes the patient. The sport that you love is in danger. Its not a matter of having a few primers for your little shoot. I do believe as you that everone should be able to get primers. I have been saying this for months. The ammo companies need to ramp up the volume to meet demand.

No its not a scare tactic. They will take it away. Yes introduce someone into the shooting sports I agree with you but I think you miss the boat. You and all of us need to put pressure on the ammo manufactures to put product on the shelves.

4. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

5. Rembrandt

Rembrandt Member

Much of what you say laterunner has merit, but what fits one persons needs may not fit others.

My family shoots between 100K-to-150K rounds a year....it's a recreational sport we do very aggressively. Reloading is a serious pastime during the winter months, not uncommon to have components on had to do 20K-30K rounds. From some folks perspective it would appear I use more than needed for the average shooter. Be cautious of putting everyone into the same lifestyle with the same needs and wants.

On the political side, there are real fears that the next step against gun owners will be to go after the ammo in the form of regulation and taxes....some reported to be as high as 500%. To think that no law maker would dare try to take guns isn't the point....during revolutionary times King George went after the ammo in attempts to disarm the colonists. After the Marxist antics of this administrations first 60 days in office, most feel taxing ammo wouldn't be out of the question. If you think this couldn't possibly happen, take a look at anti-gun States like California, Maryland, etc....

Do you want to pay 500% tax on future ammo purchases or stock up now and avoid the possible increase? Many are not going to give the political class a chance to make that decision for them. Fear can be a great motivator....politicians have used it for years.

6. vonnieglen

vonnieglen New Member

When I couldn't find any primers very little powder in February I figured this situation would straighten itself out fairly quickly. Fortunately, I back-ordered some primers and some of them started showing up in March just about the time that I ran out completely. I ordered more than I really needed at that time to spread out the high shipping and hazmat fees. Some of the primers I ordered in February still have not made it here and the expected arrival date keeps getting pushed out further.

It is fine to refuse to participate in the current frenzy, I admire your position. Unfortunately, if you don't plan ahead you won't be reloading anything a couple of months from now. How you feel about it isn't going to make a bit of difference. If you are going to need more primers in three months, you had better back-order them now and keep your fingers crossed. You might even have a hard time doing that; most places have stopped accepting back-orders on primers at this point.

7. hadite81

hadite81 New Member

It is all well and good that we can spout our philosophy on hoarding, but the basic answer is GREED. The manufacturers are greedy in they see the demand going up, the consumer buys all they can afford and tries to resell at an outrageous profit. I saw a bulk box of 22lr (Federal 550rnds) being offered for $35.00 plus shipping. Everyone is out to make a buck off of their "Fellow Man". Nobody really gives a rats ass about the next guy. In reality, how many rounds of Silvertip HP do you really need? You will probably be dead before your first mag change anyway. It is nice to think that we are all a very friendly, tight knit, community with common interests, but try and jack with someone else's stash, and see how long it takes for them to show you the business end of those primers/powders/bullets. I hope I am way off base, but I doubt it. Thanks for letting me vent!

8. ARB

ARB New Member

I wish the majority of this point was addressed in 'The General Discussion' forum. It amazes me how the word 'revolution' so often comes up. Some get a little too excited.

9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I heard Hussein Obama say that he would sign a bill to put a Federal tax on ammunition to help pay for medical expenses of shooting victims. I also heard him and the Attorney General both say that they are going to re-instate the assault weapon ban with some additions to the prior ban.

I understand what you are saying, but this time there is more at work here than a simple rumor mill. I heard it straight from the Negro's mouth.