The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen a lot of powders out there, but one I see a lot of is Hodgdon Titewad. I didn't buy it. At the Hodgdon load site it says its for pistols. At the same time it does not give any load data on its pages for it. On the burn rate site, it has a high burn rate. That's all I can find out for it. Can anybody tell me more? Has anyone used it? What about it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i have both Titewad and Titegroup gun powders Titewad is made for shot gun ammo and Titegroup is made for hand gun ammo. the burn rate is different between the two powders. If you go to there website you can get more info. There phone number is 913-362-9455 hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
The only data listed for Titewad on the Hodgdon site is for light .45ACP loads.
BTW...when you're in the online manual, you can choose a powder first before choosing a cartridge (once you're inside the manual pages). Then the cartridge drop-down menu will only list the cartridges that they have data for for your chosen powder. The same goes for bullet weight too.
You don't need to work the menu from left to right to find data. I love the database/query format they came up with for that site!

I don't use Titewad, but looking at it on the burn rate chart in the Hornady manual it's right around the same burn rate as Bullseye.
I know Bullseye makes for a nice light powder for the .45ACP and other smaller pistol cartridges, so I'm not sure why Hodgdon hasn't done more development with Titewad for light pistol loads. Probably because .45ACP is traditionally one of the only short auto cartridges that gets loaded down for bullseye type paper punching competition.

·
Registered
530 Posts
None of the powder companies want to work up pistol loads for their shotgun powder any more. Nor do they want to work up shotgun loads for their pistol powders any more.
Call or e-mail Hodgdon and ask one of their ballisticians for data. He (maybe she, but I doubt it) will probably have some data to share.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts