The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front page in the local rag today: Hogs on the move. Y'all are invited to come on down and shoot as many as you can. :) Partial excerpt, recipes are at the link:
Although they haven't yet achieved the status of Sherman's March to the Sea, Mississippi's rapidly growing wild hog population is cutting its own destructive swath through the state, and along the way exacting a heavy toll on the state's ecosystem.

Wild hogs, sometimes referred to as feral pigs, are swine that were once domesticated and were released or escaped into the wild. Their ability to reproduce quickly and insatiable appetite, have make wild hog sightings a common occurrence for Golden Triangle sportsmen and farmers. More significantly they present a growing problem without an obvious solution.

The hog are particularly prevalent in Clay County, says Dr. Bronson Strickland, Associate Extension Professor, Wildlife Ecology and Management at Mississippi State University. "There are some true Russian or European wild boar in Mississippi, but they were deliberately brought here and let loose for hunting, he says.

Lowndes County Agent Reid Nevins said wild hogs are not as common in Lowndes -- at least, not yet.

"We don't have the number of wild pigs here in Lowndes County that have in, say, Clay County or Monroe County," Nevins said. "It's coming. It's only matter of time."

Strickland said that even though wild hogs are capable of breeding a couple of times a year, one of the major problems is the transporting of wild hogs.

"This is one of the biggest things we have to stop," Strickland said. "People like to transport wild hogs and let them loose in other areas so they can later hunt them. They don't think it's hurting anything but it is. The pig population expands naturally and that is a big enough problem. The transportation of hogs, which is illegal, only makes it worse."

Feral hogs can also be a threat to public health. According to research gathered by the MSU Extension Service, wild pigs are known carriers of at least 45 different parasites and diseases that pose threats to livestock, pets, wildlife and, in some cases, humans.

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks has deemed wild hogs a nuisance species, allowing landowners to hunt them year-round without restrictions. They can be hunted with bait, such as corn and can even be hunted with dogs or trapped.

Ground zero for hogs

Pheba is a small community in western Clay County about 18 miles west of West Point. It has its own post office, zip code and Pheba's Diner, the local spot for biscuit breakfasts, plate lunches and burgers. The community is home to Hebron Christian Academy and miles and miles of prime hunting land.

It also the home to large infestation of wild hogs that are leaving a visible path of destruction as their numbers increase.

Read more: http://www.cdispatch.com/news/artic...4271230204201295236263264232221#ixzz2KVF3AJa3

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I've lived on this land for 23 years, and I yet to see a hog on my property. I put corn in the feeder thru out the winter, and I see lots of critters eating that corn, but no hogs. There are hogs here, but I've not seen one, yet! The reason is that all my neighbors hunt, and trap, them! If you want to shoot a hog here, ya gotta get in line!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've lived on this land for 23 years, and I yet to see a hog on my property. I put corn in the feeder thru out the winter, and I see lots of critters eating that corn, but no hogs. There are hogs here, but I've not seen one, yet! The reason is that all my neighbors hunt, and trap, them! If you want to shoot a hog here, ya gotta get in line!
Haven't seen one yet on my land either, but I expect I will in the next year or 2. If you get a breeding pair move in you could have a couple dozen of 'em within a year or so tearing up everything in sight. Good reason to have an AR with 30 rd or drum mags, or other suitable artillery, handy. A pissed off sow with piglets is damn dangerous. Something the anti's and other treehuggers just don't understand.

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
I had a friend that used to hunt them off horses. After loosing two horses, that stopped! They are dangerous, about on a par with a black bear, but meaner! I'm sure that sooner, or later, they will be rooting up my land as well, but I do have a cure for that. I wonder if that old chest type deepfreez out in the garage is still in working order? Might get to put some pork in it real soon.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a friend that used to hunt them off horses. After loosing two horses, that stopped! They are dangerous, about on a par with a black bear, but meaner! I'm sure that sooner, or later, they will be rooting up my land as well, but I do have a cure for that. I wonder if that old chest type deepfreez out in the garage is still in working order? Might get to put some pork in it real soon.
Not only meaner than a bear, but smarter and they often travel in groups and will sometimes attack as a group.

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
When I lived in south florida, I hunted hogs year round and had freezers full of pork everywhere. I had meat at peoples houses I didnt know because I didnt have room to store the meat. I did pig roasts for everyones birthdays and any other excuse you could come up with to have a pig roast. I got a call from a guy that owned a golf course and he was having trouble with hogs tearing up his greens. He wanted the hogs gone but didnt want any shooting there so we trapped them. Problem was, we would pull up to the traps and there would be 3 in the trap and 3-4 outside of the trap so you didnt want any to get away so...bam, bam, bam.....sorry, we had to shoot some...the rest we took home, fed and fattened up and sold or butchered. Some were just rank and mean as a snake. You couldnt get near the trap and they would charge you and slam into the trap trying to get to you...those were the days. But now, they are out of control....

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Hog traps for sale everywhere around here. Signs on the side of the road advertizing that they buy live wild hogs. I have hunted on my land now for the last 23 years, so it's been a long time since I shot a hog!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is one kind of hunting I really want to do. Don't have them in the northern part of the state (yet) but LA is full of them.
You might get your chance sooner than you think. I'm only about 10miles from the MS/'Bama line at Lamar County and we have a growing population here in Monroe County, MS. There are some spotty populations N. Alabama, and a large population right across the line in TN. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they're not around. ;) Here's the latest population map:

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Their everywhere.........I live on lake cumberland in kentucky an we have a start of them up here.........The fish an wildlife are telling everybody to blast them. We don't need no stinkin hogs, we got so many turkeys its unreal. A white oak only produces so many acorns........Redworm..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts