The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I moved to a farm, I thought I'd walk outside and hunt every day. I got here, and I learned some things. There are no deer on this place, ever. Turkeys are so rare I've never seen one. No hogs have ever shown up. Basically, it's squirrels, *****, and coyotes. I have foxes, but I'm not allowed to shoot them because of liberal ninnies who influence the wildlife commission. I haven't shot anything but squirrels here.

Now that I have my AR-15 working, I feel like I ought to get out and see if I can find a hog to shoot. There are public areas in this county where they can be found.

Problem: what do you do with a dead hog once you shoot it?

If I'm a mile from my car, and I have a hog that weighs 100 pounds or more, what am I supposed to do? What do other people do? I can get it into the car, and I guess I can lift it with the tractor to hold it up while I gut it and bleed it, but getting it to the car...that's a problem.

Also, are boars worth shooting? I would think the meat would stink from the testosterone.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Super Moderator
26,907 Posts
If it's 100 pounds, it ain't a grown hog. Tasty but light. I gut them in the field and haul them to the processor and let them deal with the rest. He calls me and I go pick up packaged pork in all the cuts.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never thought about a travois. A cart is iffy because there are cypress knees here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I call a friend and tell him i just killed a hog and he can have it. He turns me onto some venison in return.
I just don't like the taste or smell of wild hog.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
If your a real man, there are these.

There are several options available with these.

Or there are pack animals. The only problem with llamas is they can be testy and like to spit on you.

If you won the lottery or poop dollars, there’s this puppy. I’m sure Boston Dynamics would sell you one. You only need to feed it electricity, and they won’t spit on you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
If it's 100 pounds, it ain't a grown hog. Tasty but light. I gut them in the field and haul them to the processor and let them deal with the rest. He calls me and I go pick up packaged pork in all the cuts.
Yep. If it's much over about 200 pounds, quarter them and make maybe a couple of trips. Really like my dolly (or whatever it's called; see PRR's third and fourth pics). We can hunt hogs all year in Georgia. No holds barred.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts