Holographic Sights (for Rifle)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Common Sense, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Common Sense

Common Sense Member

Just curious what your favorite holographic (or red dot!) sights are.

What would you guys & gals recommend for a CQB / mid-range setup for an AR or AK?

I've been looking at the Eotech XPS 3.0 (and the 2.0) and they seem to be great for short/mid-range shooting. Anyone have experience with it? I don't see a ton of difference between the XPS and EXPS, or am I missing something?

A gun dealer recommended Meprolight (?) but I have no knowledge of them. Read some decent reviews of them, but several said the reticle was too dim for bright-day shooting.

Edit: if I posted this in the wrong forum, my apologies. Stupid new guy here. :D

drymag likes this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

It may be in the wrong forum BUT you are asking the pros, so I will leave it for now!!

I have an EOTech on one of my AR's and I like it, I put one of those 5 power magnifiers in front of it and it made it even better. I think mine is the XPS2. For the same cost you can buy two of the SIG Romeo5 red dot sights, which is what I did when I wanted another red-dot, and I like the SIGs a whole lot better than the EOTech.

drymag, ms6852, shootbrownelk and 3 others like this.

3. Common Sense

Common Sense Member

Others mentioned the Sig's as well, but I haven't come across any with a large, open-like sight similar to the Eotech's xps2 or 3 - do you know of a specific one?

I have to admit that I'm not knowledgeable on optics - I know the basics and that's it. :/

drymag and shootbrownelk like this.
  4. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I have an EOTech on a LR in .308, it works fine for me. Looking at the SIGs also.

drymag and Common Sense like this.
  5. gdmoody

6. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I have an XPS-3 on a 300 BO, SBR. I like it for both eyes open, short range shooting. I also have a Vortex Sparc on an AR-15 carbine, with a 3 power magnifier. It's good for medium range 100-200 yard shooting, not target shooting though. I also have a SIG Romeo 5 that I had to send back because it failed on me. They sent it back but it's still sitting in it's box. Not sure I trust it on anything. You might consider the Vortex Strike Eagle Gen II, 1-8X24. At no magnification, 2 eye open easy shooting, but up to 8 power magnification for distant shots. I have one on a heavy barrel carbine AR-15 in 223 Wilde. Of course the big plus for the holographic sights, is it holds zero despite head position, it won't "black out" if your head is not in the optical center of the scope.

drymag, ms6852 and Common Sense like this.
  7. gdmoody

Oh wow, sorry to hear that about the Romeo5. As I mentioned I have two of them with one of them holding up very well on the .50 Beowulf. The other one is on a 5.56 AR so it doesn't get the pounding the one on the .50 gets.

8. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

I have two Romeo5s, work like charms, love 'em. I also have a SIG MSR...if you don't have to go cheap, don't. It's not BAD by any means, perfectly serviceable green dot, but I should'a ponied up the extra $50 for the Romeo5 again.

9. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

i run a burris fastfire 3 on a 12 ga 3" magnum for turkey hunting and it has held up with the recoil from the 12 ga magnum loads that kick like 300 magnum.

10. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in Cabelas about 5 years ago and they had a bucket of these on sale for $25. It set in my gun safe for years before I used it. I bought a S&W Victory and put it on. This site is awesome. It as red and green dots and 4 different patterns. I didn't expect much for a $25 site but was surprised. This makes my S&W Victory a real hole puncher.

CenterPoint Optics 70301 Red/Green 32mm Open Reflex Sight With 4 Reticles 32mm For Picatinny Mount

upload_2020-7-18_5-23-42.png

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  11. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I had a Bushnell HoloSite (EOtec) and liked it. I have a SIG Romeo5 and various Tru Glo's I like them all. They work well at closer ranges for those of us with old eyes.

12. gdmoody

I have to correct something I said above. I do not have a Romeo5 on a 5.56 AR. When I got my Beretta Storm CX4 carbine, I moved it over to the storm.

13. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I bought the Vortex spitfire 3x prism scope for my Home defense AR. Really great, has five settings of brightness either green or red illuminated reticle with the semi circle for CQB. Has the bdc also good to 500 yards and tested accurately. Long battery life with it but if the battery goes out no biggy as the reticle is etched to the glass and can be seen without illumination. Very solid built. Only con may be if your one of those guys that is sensitive to weight this might not be for you. If your not one of those fu fu type guys I would recommend you buy this with confidence.

shootbrownelk, drymag and howlnmad like this.
  14. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

I have a couple Romeo 5 red dots and a couple Vortex Strikefire II dot sights. I prefer the Romeo5 over the Vortex Strikefire. The dot on the romeo 5 is much crisper/clearer to me. Not downing the Strikefire just not my favorite red dot sight.

drymag and ms6852 like this.
  15. gdmoody

I have been looking at the Vortex Venom red dot to put on my Ruger 57. I have to buy a special adapter plate to make it fit. I'm just too cheap to spend $40 for one of them at "ShopRuger" site. I have found them cheaper but the cheapest place ($24) has a disclaimer that they will not ship due to overwhelming orders!:duh:o_O

shootbrownelk, drymag and ms6852 like this.