The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was in my cellar rooting around in a box of old holsters and I found this interesting one. It's marked
Iver Johnson
Co
Boston
250 22
I haven't been successful finding it anywhere on the internet. Does anyone here know about it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Iver Johnson had a sporting good store in Boston during the 1900's. They sold all sorts of sporting good which included firerms, knives, holsters, fishing gear, bicycles and even snow shoes. Some of the items shown up for sale on Ebay.

They did not manufacture most of what the sold, only the firearms and bicycles . The holsters were manufactured by another company and stamped with Iver Johnson's name and address.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Shrek, thanks for the info. I was only aware that Iver made guns and bikes. Did not know they actually had a retail store. I've sold all my Iver Johnson pistols so I guess I'll try to sell the holster also. At my age I'm trying to keep fewer guns that I never use.

·
Registered
565 Posts
What Shrek73 said!
Iver Johnson had opened a sporting goods store in Fitchburg MA in the 1890's and later bought out the J.P. Lovell Company in the early 1900's.
The J.P. Lovell locations were renamed to Iver Johnson Sporting Goods Company.
Many of the different products made for the sporting goods stores were stamped with the IJ name and often times with the particular city the store was located in.
I've seen plenty of items with the Boston stamp or label (most of the mail order sales shipped out of the Boston location) and a few with the Worchester MA label.

Your holster is in pretty good condition and would probably fetch in the $40-$50 range on eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the additional information. I have quite a few of boxes of old holsters and military web gear and random military surplus stuff that has been sitting in my cellar or attic for decades. Now that I'm old and retired I'm trying to sort out and get rid of that stuff. It's too bad I didn't find the time to do it when I was younger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts