Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Holster wear

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Teejay9, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I know that when we buy used guns, they're not always 100% pristine. Does genuine holster wear bother anyone that much? I have a Ruger Standard from 1953 that came with a holster that looks like it was born in. The wear is in the normal places. This doesn't detract from the gun in my view. It looks like it was well taken care of. I think that it exhibits use, but not abuse. The only really near 100% guns I have are ones that I bought new. Also, I have one stainless steel pistol. What about holster wear on these? Does it affect the stainless ones? What's the best way to care for a stainless pistol? Just plain gun oil? Your thoughts, Please. TJ

2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a smith 686 stainless that I wear in a holster everytime I go out hunting and it does not seem to bother it.

3. punchie

punchie Active Member

I am an acquier of firearms not a collector so honest wear (not abuse) has never been an issue with me. Pristene examples are nice but not everyone has the funds! Again, when I buy a firearm it is because I want/like it not because of its intrinsic value.

4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer Member

In my opinion a little holster wear sometimes adds value. Allow me to give an example:

In 1876 Colt introduced a version of the Single Action Army which was produced with either a 10 or a 16 inch barrel. The gun was generally a flop, however, Mr. Edward Judson, a writer of cowboy fiction, purchased several as gifts. Judson gave the revolvers to Wyatt Earp, Neal Brown, Charley Bassett, Bat Masterson and Bill Tilghman - all being famous lawmen at the time. Since Judson used the pen-name Ned Buntline, the guns became known as "Buntline" Specials.

None of the lawmen cared much for the long barrels and stuck them in a drawer somewhere ... all except Earp, that is. In fact, Earp carried his Buntline Special frequently. Now, which gun do you think has the greatest value? One of the near perfect others, or Earp's gun with a little holster wear?

No, Teejay9, I am not suggesting that you are as famous as Wyatt Earp. But a little honest holster wear is expected in most used carry guns. So too, are a few nicks and dings.

As you suggest, stainless steel can rust so a light coat of gun oil is the perfect solution. While holster wear is less of a problem with stainless as they are not coated to prevent rust, over time they will acquire a different shine where they come in contact with the holster.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 1, 2009