The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wanting to see what everyone uses for a holster. I've got a good concealed carry holster, but I want a good holster to use while I'm out and about.
I need one for a standard 1911 and the one I'll carry the most is my P95 with rail. I guess I'd just like thoughts and opinions, maybe pictures, of what everyone else has. I'd especially like advice on whether I should go with a retention strap or just a holster that utilizes tension on the rail.
Thanks in advance, and I hope this is the right spot to post.

·
Super Moderator
41,340 Posts
That is a good thread, lots of pictures and suggestions. I don't carry my 1911 often but I have one of the Fobus paddle holsters. I also have some kind of no-name leather one that I bought from the Sportsman's Guide years ago.

·
Registered
17,280 Posts
Man. When you start counting, it's just - wow.

For field wear, I like the COWS holster. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/handcrafted-leather-holster.aspx?a=310915 It came very oily, and I left it wrapped in paper towels, in the sunlight through a window, changing the towels often, for about a week, until it stopped bleeding. It's been fine since then.

I've got a Fobus, and it's okay, but I'm not a big fan of Kydex. Got a Bianch Speed Scabbard.

Got a Yaqui Slide. Bianchi verticle shoulder rig and a Galco horizontal one. Old-school USGI leather
and new USGI nylon
. Got a USGI M7

Got both a "Professional" IWB
and a "Pistol Pocket" IWB

And there's probably others in the holster-box.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I keep it light in weight!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I carry in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I use a blackhawk nylon OWB looks like carvers but in nylon. My Ruger p345 fits snug in it and it doesnt sweat. Or bianci has a good line of shoulder rigs i like for my 38 S&W.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I use the Fobus paddle and a Bulldog leather slider. They fit both the 1911, and the 9mm. I like 2 for 1s...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I picked up a desantis intruder ( I think is what it is) don't have a picture on this new phone, but here's one from google image search . Really love it. Distributes the weight, really comfortable for long term carry. Rough on the finish though. Have some holster wear already and haven't had it long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I use a blackhawk nylon OWB looks like carvers but in nylon. My Ruger p345 fits snug in it and it doesnt sweat. Or bianci has a good line of shoulder rigs i like for my 38 S&W.
I have one of these too, and I must admit that I like it! I use it for my revolver carry, it does close up when you pull the gun out, but it's fairly easy to reholster.

·
Registered
100 Posts
An Alessi Bodyguard Shoulder Rig,for the cooler Weather Carry.And in a Sparks SS2 for the warmer Weather carry. Both of these Holsters are great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone know what brand of holster that is that Carver posted with the 1911 gun in it.? I like the looks of it better than the Yaqui holster that is made by Galco I shot him an E mail about it,? But did not get a reply as of yet.? Any help of information on that holster would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Does anyone know what brand of holster that is that Carver posted with the 1911 gun in it.? I like the looks of it better than the Yaqui holster that is made by Galco I shot him an E mail about it,? But did not get a reply as of yet.? Any help of information on that holster would be appreciated.
It looks like a don hume to me but there are several people that make them. I have used the don hume just like that for many years and they are a good product.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just checked the Don Hume web site & that does not look like their Yaqui Holster at all.? Thanks anyway maybe I will get an E mail from Carver soon,? with his answer.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I will check my emails on this one. But here is the company that makes the holster in the picture that I posted. Just about any Yaqui style holster will be a good choice for most of us. I simply am one of those folks that can not use the paddle style holsters. No matter what I do they end up digging into my hip. http://www.sickinger.at/Englisch/Sites/home.htm

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Just checked the Don Hume web site & that does not look like their Yaqui Holster at all.? Thanks anyway maybe I will get an E mail from Carver soon,? with his answer.
Really? Looks just like the ones I have...right off the don hume web site...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Really? Looks just like the ones I have...right off the don hume web site...
Made in America, I think, and only $32.50. I know a guy that copies the Don Hume holsters, and makes a very good product. He is local, Longview, TX, and his are a little cheaper. It is what I wear, and not the German made holster. Just turns out that it is just like the Don Hume, or vise a versa.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I sold done hume holsters in my shop and I used them for many years. They are a great product, as is most of the leather holster products out there on the market today. I sold this style you see here for 21.99

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I sold done hume holsters in my shop and I used them for many years. They are a great product, as is most of the leather holster products out there on the market today. I sold this style you see here for 21.99
About the same price I payed for mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts