The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I have never bought a holster before, and things are limited around here so I was looking at "We the People Holsters" online.... Any thoughts?
Please put this in the right forum...
I have a Smith and Wesson. 38 special Airweight

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Just a FYI about Kydex holsters. They can scuff the finish on anything inserted into them if they are not inside lined with something like leather (kangaroo hide is nice) or a synthetic fabric. Plus without an liner the holster can make clacking sounds when what ever is inserted or removed, with the later being more important if you are trying to be quite while unholstering a firearm. Plus Kydex holsters are stiff and will not bend if your waring it and you have to bend over or sit a lot. Leather is more forgiving as for comfort. Synthetic fabric holsters are good if you are in a hot humid climate. Out side the waist band if you can not carry concealed. Paddle type holsters are convenient if need to grab the gun in a hurry which can just be slipped into your waist band of pants, and can be quickly removed if you can’t take it into a business or store, but are not as secure as a loop through a pants belt.

I believe I just made your decision harder. Can’t help it. It’s a talent of mine.

·
GUNZILLA
6,443 Posts
Hey Rachel, I have used holsters from Simply rugged holsters. They make one that can be used inside the belt or outside the belt your choice depending on your mood or attire.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Because of the size of the frame the S&W Airweight, an OWB might be the most comfortable. Hope the brand you choose works best for you. Retention of weapon in the holster is important also.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
As most of you know I have never bought a holster before, and things are limited around here so I was looking at "We the People Holsters" online.... Any thoughts?
Please put this in the right forum...
I have a Smith and Wesson. 38 special Airweight
I have an OWB Galco for my S&W J frame and I like it. It has a retention strap and mine is crossdraw. Is your J-frame a stainless model Rae?

·
Premium Member
19,570 Posts
I have a Bianchi leather holster for my S&W airweight. I also have one for my 1911. I use a DeSantis for my S&W Shield. Both companies produce outstanding leather holsters. I am left-handed so It is hard for me to get anything. I am stuck ordering from amazon.com.
With this pistol holster combo you will forget you have it on. I can wear jeans & a tshirt in hot weather and it conseals fine.

·
Registered
838 Posts
No matter what you decide you need a retention holster bottom line. As far as 'Kydex' I have a few different makes and yes they can be noisy but I haven't seen any markings on them because of product material, if anything my leather holsters leave more swipes or some kind of marks on the slide,etc. My stealth Operator is my most used and is compatible with 150 makes of guns. My Urban Carry is my favorite for my Glock being retention and leather at the same time.Like others out there I have a box of used and unused holsters.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,940 Posts
I wouldn't recommend anything plastic; they're convenient, but tear up the finish. Bianchi and DeSantis are my favorites, but I just got a VersaCarry which seems to be well made. Overall, Bianchi tops my list, but they're pricey. Back when I lived in Fallbrook, CA (pre-PRC) I knew John Bianchi as a customer in my restaurant, and his products were a lot more affordable. I wish I'd had the chance to know him better, as he was quite a remarkable man. He passed a while back, right there in Fallbrook. I didn't know then that he was an Army reservist, and had no idea that he'd retired as a major General! He was recalled from retirement after 9/11, to take command of the California State Military Reserve, a post he served until his second retirement in 2004. Who knew?

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rae, first thing you need to do before holster shopping, is figure how and where you want to carry it. What was the barrel length on that? I might have something for you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
TFF Pie Queen
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure where I want to carry.......
My instructor talked a lot about the 4 o'clock position?
and a I am open to used holsters 😎❤

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I've got a Bianchi #8L that is made for the K frame, and I'm not sure how much smaller your J frame is. Identical to this one:
I can send it up to you, and you can see how it fits. Even if it doesn't, at least you'll have idea if you want that style or not.

·
Super Moderator
39,999 Posts
Any time that someone asks for suggestions for a holster, I also have two words - Alien Gear. I have to disagree with those that say plastic holsters tear up the finish on guns. I have had my P938 in and out of my holster a hundred or so times since I have had this particular ShapeShift holster and countless times in the cloak tuck holster I had before this one. I just pulled it out of the holster again to see if I could detect any wear and I see nothing.

You do have to decide where you going to carry your gun before you buy a holster, that will make a lot of difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts