The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently working on getting ccw license and it got me thinking about what to use for defense inside the home. personally i dont like the thought of blowing someones head off. but i dont have the money to buy a proper large caliber handgun. ( the only hand gun i have is a .22 lr) which got me thinking about bean bag rounds. what are you thoughts. and would 18 of .22 hollow points stop someone?

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Yep, if you had the time, the accuracy, and the guts to stand there pumping lead into a human being, 18 rounds of .22 HP will do the job! You probably won't get that stop untill you have put a half dozen rounds into him though! Unless you can put a couple of rounds into the head. In the mean time though, if he's armed, he'll probably be shooting back, and I doubt he will be using a .22.

·
Premium Member
9,925 Posts
i am currently working on getting ccw license and it got me thinking about what to use for defense inside the home. personally i dont like the thought of blowing someones head off. but i dont have the money to buy a proper large caliber handgun. ( the only hand gun i have is a .22 lr) which got me thinking about bean bag rounds. what are you thoughts. and would 18 of .22 hollow points stop someone?
If you have the stated reservations, I'd suggest a baseball bat.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my house is very small. i reall dont know what would work best. my bedroom door is less than 20feet from the front door. i have no way to sneak up on anyone. the only way to come out of the room guns blazin. in my opinion at least

·
Premium Member
13,000 Posts
Honestly, a gun might not work for you. Unless a person has made up their mind that they would do anything it takes to defend their home and family, including "blowing someones head off" you may not be ready to protect yourself with a gun and could possibly have it taken from you and used against you. As for you 22 hollow points go, yes they could absolutely stop someone. Learn to properly place your shots. But make up your mind that killing might very well have to take place. Its not something any of us wants to do. Its what we must do.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
With a .22 in that situation, I'd suggest aiming for the groin first and work your way up. .22 doesn't work well getting thru bone.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if it comes down to it i dont have a problem shooting to kill. just not my first option. i'd rather get em knocked down then beat the **** out of him, hog tie him out by the road then call the cops and let them deal with him. maybe its just me but i think that most people that break into house are just stupid punk ass kids who at the shot of a gun would run anyways. might just stick with having shells go thru my 12 gauge in this order. bird shot, turkey load then slugs.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
please don't use birdshot in a shotgun for HD, it's just plain wrong and not as likely effective enough.

I would use good old OO or #4 buck, #1 buck at least.

if you decide on a gun, like said, .22 will do the job, it's loud as hell indoors and from a pistol, especially so. But you HAVE to make a firm decision to KILL if the time comes. Most likely, you will not, but you must be ready to end another human being's life.

And you beating someone and dragging them out for police to fetch up, well, you're gonna spend some time in a courtroom, and then likely in jail or at least you will owe the guy you beat all your stuff. Don't attempt to wound, let him go or unleash the beast and end it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Probably not the best way of defending yourself but it's better than nothing. You would be better off saving up some money and buying at least a .380 or 9mm.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think, in most situations, just seeing the intended victim with a firearm is going to be enough to sendan intruder running the other way. He's not going to care what caliber it is.
That said, if the intruder feels he has no escape and decides to fight, you're in for a tough ride. A .22 most certainly can be lethal, and, getting back to your stated reservations to do that, that's the only way a .22 is going to be effective. If the intruder has already decided it's a fight, the .22 in anything less than a head shot, is not going to stop the intruder.
First things first, get your mindset right. If you're not prepared to take a life to protect yourself and family, leave the gun in a locked cabinet. None of us want to take another persons life. But, I made up my mind a long time ago that if it should ever come down to me, or my family, over an attacker... I will not hesitate to use whatever force I need to stop the threat.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i guess one thing i need to figure out is a plan of attack. like i said my house is very small
No. A plan of defense. You need to think like an intruder.

Do you have any early warning systems such as alarms, dog, etc.? If not get something that will get you out of bed at 2 am. Run some simulations in your house. Arrange your furniture to your advantage for cover and concealment and to cause the intruder some difficulty. Get your partner involved.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all i have is light in my garage on a motion sensor ( u have to go thru the garage to get in) im wanting something on a motion sensor hat will make the sound of a shotgun racking. i think that could scare them off by itself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Words of warning A lot of people have been killed or injured with a 22. Usually in an environment controlled by the shooter. An out and out immediate confrontation where you deliver marginal hits may result in pissing off the perp whereby he escalates the attack upon you. I've carried 22s but have always been cognizant of the fact that it's better than a sharp stick but far inferior than my 40 Glock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Addendum to my previous post. You have to use the tools you have at hand. But never ever try to shoot an attacker in the balls and then "work your way up" You want to stop their thretining behavior immediately. That means to shoot canter mass or head. You mention a 22 cal w 18 round capacity. It sounds like its a rifle. You might try using it for a partial trade on a short barreled 12 gauge pump shotgun. Loaded w buckshot it makes a powerful home defense weapon. The one concern is over penetration, so determining safe zones of fire in your home is a advised. I would say forget beanbag rounds. The perp may have on heavy clothing/overcoat that may dissipate terminal performance. Again pissing him off with more aggression directed towards you. Try to look for shotgun that has a large mag capacity. Best of luck stay safe

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
all i have is light in my garage on a motion sensor ( u have to go thru the garage to get in) im wanting something on a motion sensor hat will make the sound of a shotgun racking. i think that could scare them off by itself
Go back and read Gunny's post #12! He is giving you some good advice. Unless you have been trained, do not try to clear a house, or leave your safe room. If you should hear that bump in the night, grab your gun, seek cover in your bed room, and let the invader come to you. Large caliber hand guns will shoot thru walls, small caliber guns are not as likely to. I'm talking calibers like the .38, and the .380. Both of these caliber hand guns can be had for cheap enough, $350, and under. They will get the job done, if you do your part. First thing you should do is find a local range, and have a talk with who ever does their trainng. You seem to have some really bad ideas about how things might go. A good trainer will tell you right now that what you plan is not often to come out the way you think it will. Get some local help, please.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Lowes, Home Depot and others sell DIY alarm systems (not monitored) fairly cheap. You said the only way in was thru the garage - how about windows? You can make doors more secure with a simple rubber door stop wedged under the door

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the only handgun i have is a .22 with 2 nine round mags. i can swap em out pretty quick. i know a bigger gun would do a better job. but hell assassins used to use .22 because the bullets go in but dont come out. now i know they would have a well placed shot. but a 9 or more .22 rounds at less than 20 feet... thats gonna do some damage

·
Premium Member
34,376 Posts
If a .22 is all you have, then use it. As for the assassins go they usually use the .22 on a target that is inches away, not moving, and incapable of shooting back! Start looking around at other, better, choices. Start putting some money back untill you have enough to buy a gun that will STOP an intruder with one, or two, well placed shots.

·
Banned
111 Posts
If you shoot someone with a 22 it will only make the person mad.
Shooting a human body with a pistol dose not stop them like in the movies.
The caliber should be large enough with a proper expanding projectile to penetrate and cause blunt trauma. I will take a few rounds to stop a human depending on a lot of things like sex, persons size ect. and then sometimes you can stop them no matter what you throw at them.
I was taught that if you shoot someone with a 22. Do it at a long range to slow them down and then get the hell out of there.
As for intruders, retreat to your safe place, phone police,flashlight in hand with gun and shoot after identifying the intruder when they have entered your safe space (until they stop).
I do not believe in shouting warnings before a person enters your safe place and I am not going to tell the intruder I have a gun (He will find out soon enough) Let them take what they want,your Job is to stay safe.
Police clear houses they are trained to do it. Home defense is about keeping your self and family alive with the least amount of risk. ( you can't reset dead)
To many people who get a gun, they think that is all there is to it ,but that is far from the truth. You need a defense plan, have one before you get a gun.The NRA has a great book on the subject you can get it at their web site.
Get the book and then get a bigger gun
And remember it is always tough for a moral law abiding citizen to kill. To kill to protect one must train.
I hoped this will help you, and remember home defense it a family job

1 - 20 of 38 Posts