The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I blew my 1st post and placed it in the wrong discussion category. Hopefully I got this one correct.
Can anyone lead me towards at least the right first choice of type of weapon to purchase for home defense?
I am thinking a 12 gauge or 20 gauge shot gun or a pistol. I may have to go used due to budget constraints but we will see. I am 6' 4" but only 160 lbs., so I read that the kick on a 20 gauge is a bit less and maybe easier for me to handle. The downside is there isn't many accessories for a 20 gauge I have read. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you much!

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
A lot depends on where you live. If you live in a subdivision or city you want to control collateral damage. A 20 gauge shotgun should be more than enough. My Doctor just bought a shotgun and 9mm pistol for home defence due to the uncertain times we now see in this country. He has never owned a gun before. I will tell you the same thing I told him. Get all the training you can. Make sure you know how to use whatever you buy. Study your state laws.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,294 Posts
You might look into a Maverick 88 20ga with the 18.5” barrel. Should run about $200, new.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 20 ga. Remington 870 and I love it. It's reliable as all get out, and with the deer barrel it's got a short swing and quite handy for indoor requirements. For home defense here in the city, I've got #4 shot. For bush defense or out in the country, I removed the limiting plug and I load alternate 00 buck and sabot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gentlemen. I live in a quiet development just off the main drag. About 10 miles from center city Philadelphia. The perps will have a few neighborhoods to terrorize before they reach me but I must be ready nonetheless. I will do as "gvw3" says and get some training at my local range. Our township is so small, sandwiched between bigger ones that we don't actually have a police department. When my development has trouble we call in Smokey bear. The State police. That also takes some time as I have learned.

·
Registered
885 Posts
For in your house and close range the shotgun could be taken away possibly. A handgun can be kept close to you better. There's pro's and con's to shotguns for self defence.Our church security instructor cautioned against them, not saying never.If for example you want to chk your house I would think a long type gun is difficult to maneuver room to room. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
10,148 Posts
Welcome aboard. My home defense consists of a handgun on the nightstand, a shotgun in the closet and a Mini 14 to repel the masses.
(And a couple dogs)
If a perp manages to get in my bedroom I have the pistol handy to engage from my bed, if a hear a noise at night out comes the 12 gauge pump and if civil unrest is marching toward my home I have an AR and Mini 14 to encourage them to move on.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
For someone who isn't really into guns or shooting, and lives in an urban area - you would do well with a shotgun. A shotgun doesn't require a lot of accuracy - it is a close range point-and-shoot weapon. You are better served with a pump action vs. a semi auto or break-action. A 20 gauge has less recoil than does a 12, but you likely won't ever be shooting it very much any way. A 12 carries more shot than a 20 does per shell with the same size of shot.

Because this will be a home defense weapon, you want a short 18" barrel. A long hunting barrel will be a hindrance inside of a home. With a pump action, you can keep ammo in the magazine tube and NOT a loaded chamber for safety. When needed, a simple "pump" of the action will have you loaded and ready to do what you need to do. Some of the newer guns can have mounts for a light - something you may wish to consider.

As far as ammunition, simple bird shot is deadly at close range. I'd say #7 or #8 shot. Any pellets that miss your intended target aren't as likely to go thru a neighbor's wall as would heavier shot. If you get a shotgun, take a piece of 1/4" plywood out to the range and shoot at it from about 15 feet. I think you will be impressed.

At any rate - if you buy a shotgun for defense and keep it at home - one important thing: If you need to use it - use it. If you don't think you would be able to use it if you needed to - don't get one. If you hesitate you are toast and so will be anyone with you. Get some training from someone who knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
You should check out the ranges and try different handguns in different calibers. I recommend a 9mm or 380 those are common calibers. Don't know how the ammo is in your neck of the woods it is hard to come by down here in NE Florida. You catch as catch can. I notice that shotgun ammo is in good supply. I recommend a shot gun in 20 ga. Someone recommended the Mossberg 88 not to be confused with the German 88 of WWII. That is a good gun. Im looking at shotguns myself to add to the defense of the homestead. Handguns I recommend Glock and Taurus for good inexpensive products. Good luck and welcome. P.S. If you want a good inexpensive gun its heavy and the looks arn't great but it goes bang every time I also recommend a Hi-Point. I use the C9.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,113 Posts
one important thing: If you need to use it - use it. If you don't think you would be able to use it if you needed to - don't get one.
Agree 100%

As a police chaplain I had to work through that. It boils down to either you or the intruder, and you want to be the one walking away and you want your family to walk away.

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
If you don't think you would be able to use it if you needed to - don't get one. If you hesitate you are toast and so will be anyone with you.
Very true. If you don't have what it takes to pull the trigger you are better off without a gun. Get pepper spray or a taser. Most don't really know unless they are actually put in a position where they have to.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
I think it is off to the range next to test fire some weapons to see if it is in me like Mr. Brady has said.
Shooting paper targets won't tell you anything. You already know the answer. If you can make a mental image of the aftermath of someone who breaks in thru your door. What would I be able to live with: what someone might do to me and my family if I do nothing and submit, or using a violent/destructive force against another human? Even though you know that you did what you had to do, it will remain in your mind forever. Trust me on this point.

Not an easy thing to answer. I don't think that an answer either way qualifies or disqualifies you as a man. I know that stopping a threat is easier for me, personally, to handle than having harm come to a loved one and having to live with that. Easy for me to say, but I'm not you.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Welcome aboard. My home defense consists of a handgun on the nightstand, a shotgun in the closet and a Mini 14 to repel the masses.
(And a couple dogs)
If a perp manages to get in my bedroom I have the pistol handy to engage from my bed, if a hear a noise at night out comes the 12 gauge pump and if civil unrest is marching toward my home I have an AR and Mini 14 to encourage them to move on.
I carry my EDC in the house just about always, even while on dialysis.

At night, we have 6 guns.

My wife’s 22 revolver and then I have an AR 15 and 20 ga in the corner about 2 feet from my bed, and my EDC pistol next to my bed and two back up hand guns in my “purse.”

It started its life as a picnic bag but I appropriated it for my BUGs so I can grab and go if ever needed. They say with
794F29D7-5145-46E1-BD22-6DF89864AA16.jpeg
modern homes you only have 2-3 minutes to get out in a fire.

I have multiple magazines for the pistols and AR.

The shotgun is easier to learn how to use for a “newby” and has less house to house penetration risk. Pistols take a lot of practice to get proficient in their use.

I also have lights on every outer wall of the house and the two out buildings.

Further, we have security gates on all exit doors and we barricade the front door and garage laundry door with 2x4s. Then we also have an alarm system.

Will all this keep someone out? Not necessarily, but it will discourage them from my property and slow them down before they get to our bedroom.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,113 Posts
What jim brady said. It's easy to talk and say what we would do. But when it comes down to the actual event...well, someone did a study and found that a high percentage of soldiers in their first combat never pulled their triggers. The mentality needs to be there...stop the threat. I saw a video of some people who got a gun and thought they were good to go. When the armed robber actually entered their store to hold them up, their defense fell apart because they didn't have any training or plan.. They were fortunate to get away with their lives.

There is an aftermath...mental, emotional, psychological, and legal to any self defense shooting incident. There are organizations that help to educate people on this score, and there are organizations that provide legal help.

I think it is off to the range next to test fire some weapons to see if it is in me like Mr. Brady has said.
Target shooting is one thing. Self defense is quite another, but start with target shooting because it will give you a feel for the gun.

We generally recommend that people to get to a range to try out various guns to see which fits them, and which guns they fit, especially with hand guns. Shotguns...well, get to know the recoil. At your size and weight, 20 gauge should never be any problem. It will feel like someone tapped you on the shoulder and you should be able to shoot all day. I've shot 30 rounds 12 gauge competition and never had any problem. We have members who shoot 12 gauge clay pigeon competitions that go many rounds beyond that.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Lots to think about when owning a gun for self defense.
A good read to get you started is Masaad Ayoob's book titled "Deadly Force Understanding your right to self defense." Know that if a round from you ends up in some one elses house, you may be sued. In "some" states, you hear a noise outside and you go to investigate...you just became the aggressor...it may be used against you in court....
Watch some u-tube caliber vs sheetrock to get an idea of what will end up in some one elses house.
There was a shoot out 3 blocks from me and bullets ended up going thru cars, houses, boats, etc.
If you get a shotty, take it out to the country with several 4' X 4' cardboard so you can shoot them at different distances and measure the spread.
Make a barricade plan w/ family in case of breakin.
Get some electronic shooting ears so you can keep your hearing and know where they are by your own house noises. They will loose their hearing and you will have an advantage with super hearing.
Buy an alarm system that uses a key fob so you can have instant on and off for both home and away.

·
Premium Member
10,148 Posts
I was one of those that to be honest had never been in a situation requiring me to pull the trigger until a couple years ago. Always thought I probably could but a person can’t really say with certainty unless they’ve been there. Short story is there were three gang banging burglars in my back yard and I introduced them to myself and Mr Ruger. “Oh S**t he’s got a gun” was ones response and all three proceeded to scatter, run the opposite direction and dive over the back fence. Thankfully I still haven’t had to pull the trigger however I’m much more confident I would should the situation require. What really surprised me was how calm I remained through the whole ordeal. My pulse literally never rose a blip, didn’t feel that rush of adrenaline nor excitement. Just stayed cool and calm and had they made the wrong decision and moved my direction there’s no doubt as to the outcome.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I was one of those that to be honest had never been in a situation requiring me to pull the trigger until a couple years ago. Always thought I probably could but a person can’t really say with certainty unless they’ve been there. Short story is there were three gang banging burglars in my back yard and I introduced them to myself and Mr Ruger. “Oh S**t he’s got a gun” was ones response and all three proceeded to scatter, run the opposite direction and dive over the back fence. Thankfully I still haven’t had to pull the trigger however I’m much more confident I would should the situation require. What really surprised me was how calm I remained through the whole ordeal. My pulse literally never rose a blip, didn’t feel that rush of adrenaline nor excitement. Just stayed cool and calm and had they made the wrong decision and moved my direction there’s no doubt as to the outcome.
Glad you moved from the ganglands of Anaheim/Yorba Linda if I remember correctly. My son lived on the hill overlooking the 91 freeway in Anaheim Hills looking over the El Torito by the Weir Canyon exit. Overall a nice area but right between the gangbangers all around.

Also glad that you didn't actually have to pull the trigger. I have had 4 occasions where I thought the gun on my right hip might come into play, but by God's grace I was able to get out of them all.

Stay safe and yes, take the precautions even in OK.

·
No Power Options
13,531 Posts
Buy tape recorder.......visit friend with pump gun......turn on recorder to record.
Record racking slide........go home........first burglar.......whip out tape recorder....hide in room........turn up volume........press play.

We all know this sound causes criminals to wet themselves and run.
Cost savings.....$250.00
No fear of over penetration or training.

$1 please
:lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts