The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,795 Posts
A light on the end of the barrel will help you see who your shooting at.
These lights are sensitive to recoil and can fail, so If I were to practice with this gun I would probably take the light off, the light would only need to work for 2 or 3 shots at that point the party's over. the battery has lasted many years. It just sits there Ready.
mossberg 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Sell it and use the money to buy an AK. You don't want to face multiple burglars, or even one, with 7 rounds of ammunition.

At the very least, get a semiauto shotgun with box magazines.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If U need to fire more than 7 rounds of 12ga. at a Home Intruder, your game plan (or accuracy) is to be called in to question. IMHO.

Personally, (inside my house at night) nothing better than a 12ga Riot Pump. The semi-auto center fires are for use at longer distances, where I can see and aim - in the daylight.

Personally, I do not keep an AK/AR out of the safe (in arms reach,) for bumps in the night. You will find multiples of 12ga.'s around to grab though.

I guess everyone has their own opinion on what works for them.

My opinion 61caliberclown - Stick with the shotgun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will want your shotgun barrel much shorter for use within the house. Probably no longer than 20 inches.

TR
I want to get a 18.5 inch barrel for my 20 gauge but they are never in stock so I'm thinking of just getting a 12 gauge that is already setup because from what I have seen its much easier to find 12 gauge parts than it is for 20 gauge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sell it and use the money to buy an AK. You don't want to face multiple burglars, or even one, with 7 rounds of ammunition.

At the very least, get a semiauto shotgun with box magazines.
I would but my house is in New York State so the safe act doesn't allow "assault weapons" to be owned by the average citizen so I thought the next best thing would be a shotgun considering it has a wide range of uses.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
I would but my house is in New York State so the safe act doesn't allow "assault weapons" to be owned by the average citizen so I thought the next best thing would be a shotgun considering it has a wide range of uses.
Man, that's terrible. Maybe it's worth it to get two shotguns so you'll have twice the capacity. Sad that American citizens have to deal with tyranny.

I'm looking at the Atlantic Firearms site, and it says you can have 10-round magazines on rifles. You can always carry multiple mags.

·
Registered
364 Posts
12 gauge with short barrel loaded with slugs.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
It all depends on your home setup and # of people living there....I live very isolated with just 1 other adult in bedroom-I could just open my bedroom door and hose down the house with no worries of hitting innocents or neighbors.....most don't have that luxury..I have a suppressed SIG 556 w/800 lumen light......Remember,even birdshot will stay a solid mass under 10-12 feet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It all depends on your home setup and # of people living there....I live very isolated with just 1 other adult in bedroom-I could just open my bedroom door and hose down the house with no worries of hitting innocents or neighbors.....most don't have that luxury..I have a suppressed SIG 556 w/800 lumen light......Remember,even birdshot will stay a solid mass under 10-12 feet.
I agree. I don't have to worry about anything but me and my dog. I can just blast thru the bedroom door if need be.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
12 gauge with short barrel loaded with slugs.
Slugs are for bears. Buckshot, according to many ballistics tests by self defense "experts" is the better choice inside a building. Slugs give you penetration which most of us in the suburbs cannot afford to use. Good for bears, not needed for home invaders.

I have 20 feet, and a fence between me and my neighbor to the north of us which is the way my hallway faces.

I have a 20 ga among several other handguns and an AR15 at my bedside. I have #4 buckshot for the 20ga.

My handguns are closest. God forbid I would ever need any of them, but I would go with the closest first depending on circumstances and time to access my weapons.

If I lived in NY, I would get a second 20 ga and may actually do that with the impending communist take over on January 20th. Probably a good way to use my Christmas gift card from the local gun store I use.

Canada is already talking about a mandatory gun buyback program and they already banned most guns years ago. They are allegedly getting IBM, an American company, to design a gun buyback program. That would be convenient huh. They could slip that right into the US right after they use it and test it in Canada.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can find a 12 gauge pump action, riot / tactical at any price range form a $200+ Maverick to a $2,000+ Benelli M4.

Remington 870 Wingmaster Police.
View attachment 242614

Quite possibly and arguably the best bang for your buck is a Mossberg 590A1
View attachment 242615
I have a 20 gauge maverick but is has a 26 inch barrel which is way too long but I have been thinking of a 590A1 because is has a capacity of 8 shells compared to 5 in the maverick plus it has the tang safety which I think is better for me because I'm left handed.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Slugs are for bears. Buckshot, according to many ballistics tests by self defense "experts" is the better choice inside a building. Slugs give you penetration which most of us in the suburbs cannot afford to use. Good for bears, not needed for home invaders.

I guess in the suburbs one has to worry about that, I don't. I will consider anyone breaking in my home a bear.
But i don't keep many guns loaded in the house, really never felt the need for it.

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I have a 20 gauge maverick but is has a 26 inch barrel which is way too long but I have been thinking of a 590A1 because is has a capacity of 8 shells compared to 5 in the maverick plus it has the tang safety which I think is better for me because I'm left handed.
I just picked up a case of 20 ga Remington hunting loads, 25 per box, 10 per case for $68. No good 20 ga on the rack. Didn't see much in 12 ga either and this is the best gun store in the area., Black Sheep in CDA ID.

Be grateful you have a 20 ga even with a 26 in barrel. Mine is a Winchester 1300 with 22 in barrel if I remember correctly. It works well, but not ideal for home defense. Prior to 2020 I looked for a tactical 20 ga but never saw anything that enticed me. Looks like it is too late to go that rout. Even online, the pickings are slim and I suspect online gun sales will disappear January 20th. Find what you can in the next two weeks. Don't take mine.

Reactions: Shotgun101
1 - 20 of 51 Posts