The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
How in the hell can the (any) Government "Buy Back" something they never owned or paid for to begin with? Makes no sense to anyone but a bleeding heart liberal. And what princely sum would be offered for YOUR gun? What you paid for it? What the current market price is? It's nothing but confiscation.....resist!
Wow. How can they steal an election from a sitting president.

You are sitting in the past. America as a Constitutional Republic died November 3, 2020. We are now part of a communist revolution that is taking office on January 20, 2021. Welcome to a brave new world.

Short answer, they will do their buyback program just like Australia and other nations.

And if you are calling me a bleeding heart liberal, I wouldn't go there.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
My house is 7 bedrooms 1 level, my hallway is 45 feet long. directly at the end is the living room. outside the living room in line with the hallway is a huge maple tree. 75 feet or so beyond that is my neighbors house it is a mobile home. directly across the hall from my bedroom is my office 50 feet past that is my other neighbors house also a mobile home. behind my house is nothing but forest for 100 acres to the soo line 4 wheeler trail ( a former railway bed). on either side of my office is my son and daughters room. my room occupies the back west corner and my youngest childs room is next to ours across from my sons room. Situational awareness is Key when choosing a self defense firearm. In my situation the use of my AR15 would be fool hardy unless im shooting towards the back of my house the risk of over penetration is to great. my firearm of choice would be the shotgun though over penetration is still a risk. I take into account how my home is decorated and the objects around it. at the end of my hallway is a 75 gallon aqaurium this will absorb atleast one miss. all of this is something a lot of people fail to take into consideration when choosing a self defense firearm. eventually I will get something in a shorter tactical type shotgun, for me personally id like sommething in a 20ga though 12ga is more readily available.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
My house is 7 bedrooms 1 level, my hallway is 45 feet long. directly at the end is the living room. outside the living room in line with the hallway is a huge maple tree. 75 feet or so beyond that is my neighbors house it is a mobile home. directly across the hall from my bedroom is my office 50 feet past that is my other neighbors house also a mobile home. behind my house is nothing but forest for 100 acres to the soo line 4 wheeler trail ( a former railway bed). on either side of my office is my son and daughters room. my room occupies the back west corner and my youngest childs room is next to ours across from my sons room. Situational awareness is Key when choosing a self defense firearm. In my situation the use of my AR15 would be fool hardy unless im shooting towards the back of my house the risk of over penetration is to great. my firearm of choice would be the shotgun though over penetration is still a risk. I take into account how my home is decorated and the objects around it. at the end of my hallway is a 75 gallon aqaurium this will absorb atleast one miss. all of this is something a lot of people fail to take into consideration when choosing a self defense firearm. eventually I will get something in a shorter tactical type shotgun, for me personally id like sommething in a 20ga though 12ga is more readily available.
Name any effective firearm where you don't have to worry about over penetration?

357 can go through several walls. Even a shotgun has over penetration issues.

Be as careful as possible, but do all you can to protect yourself. Your situation is much better than mine with only 20 feet between me and my closest neighbor. If I can get to the hallway outside my bedroom, I am shooting down so over penetration should not be an issue. But it is indeed a concern that I take into consideration.

I am hopeful and pray that I will never in any situation need to use my firearms for self defense at home or away from home. Over penetration and missed shots are even more of a concern out in the public, yet most or at least many of us carry pistols willingly every day.

Reactions: Shotgun101

·
Registered
161 Posts
I live in a smaller house with tight hallways what are some techniques for using a shotgun?
Well if ya lived close by, I'd be happy to teach you how to clear a house and live to tell about it. I see the subject of barrel length has come up. If you are stuck using a longer barreled gun, that can create challenges. Just remember, if someone in front of you grabs the barrel of any long gun you are holding, hold tight and take one quick step backwards. That motion tends to pull the barrel they are holding directly into the center of their chest. Game, set, match.
Be sure to practice clearing your house a bunch of times, before you have to under stress. It's been a few years for me since I had to do it for real, but I still think my way through a house. Keeps the brain in the game.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well if ya lived close by, I'd be happy to teach you how to clear a house and live to tell about it. I see the subject of barrel length has come up. If you are stuck using a longer barreled gun, that can create challenges. Just remember, if someone in front of you grabs the barrel of any long gun you are holding, hold tight and take one quick step backwards. That motion tends to pull the barrel they are holding directly into the center of their chest. Game, set, match.
Be sure to practice clearing your house a bunch of times, before you have to under stress. It's been a few years for me since I had to do it for real, but I still think my way through a house. Keeps the brain in the game.
I have practiced but the situation is complicated me and my guns are in the west end of the house in the main bedroom then facing east there is a hallway halfway through it is the bathroom on the north side then continuing east the hallway leads to the living room/kitchen so my practice involves getting the gun ready silently then making my way to the start of the hallway and making sure nobody is coming through then I move up scan the east looking into the kitchen if that is clear I move up to check the bathroom then if the bathroom is clear I move to the living room because the hallway is only about 10 feet long and since it is a double wide trailer the hallway is about 24 inches wide and all the walls and very thin and probably are risks for over penetration.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Standard practice--bad guy grabs long gun barrel-drive into chest...pull trigger if you want/your choice.
Yup, but I have never heard of pulling back and stepping back to get the gun into their chest.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We were taught, pull back - they will also instinctively pull back. Then use their weight against them, and come around forcefully with a Butt Stroke. Practiced enough, it is second nature and extremely effective.

Kind of why I prefer full stocked weapons. If nothing else, I've got a really good club to beat you to death with. 🤕

I guess you could also shoot them. 🤔 LOL.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shotgun (Win 1300 Defender) I shipped to my Son in CO, prior to the Election.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
You’d be very surprised by the penetration of buckshot inside a house. As in how many walls including exterior it can easily penetrate with enough power to kill beyond.

Birdshot however even at “living room range” will penetrate the first layer of a Sheetrock hollow wall, but not the second.

Something to think about if your kids or grandkids or anyone else is behind the wall behind your BG.

The one in the pipe of the pump is #6 birdshot as is the next one in the mag, the next 3 are standard 00 S&B (I like the translucent hulls, no doubt what they are) the last is a 1oz slugger. (Remember you load the mag in reverse 😉). You can always “escalate” if necessary but awfully tough to “deescalate” if the shooting has already started.

My favorite shotguns hold 6 (Winchester or Mossberg 500). The tricked out 870 holds 7 but it and the 97 generally stay in the safe, the old 500 is probably the one I’d have handy...😉

·
Registered
328 Posts
870 Police - 12ga, 18" barrel, extended mag 8+1
Loaded with 1 5/8 #5s turkey load

Stay in place, let them come to you.
Back lit, framed in doorway. The pattern basketball size and strains their guts through screen.

Any pellet reaching end of hall will not penetrate the wall.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Wow. How can they steal an election from a sitting president.

You are sitting in the past. America as a Constitutional Republic died November 3, 2020. We are now part of a communist revolution that is taking office on January 20, 2021. Welcome to a brave new world.

Short answer, they will do their buyback program just like Australia and other nations.

And if you are calling me a bleeding heart liberal, I wouldn't go there.
I wasn't calling YOU anything Alaska. I was making a blanket statement about looney left wing gun grabbers. Simmer down.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts

Back lit, framed in doorway. The pattern basketball size and strains their guts through screen.

I've got a Browning A-5 barrel cut to the end of the 3 shot magazine extension, it's just over 18". So that's 8 rounds on tap. It all I need for home defense. I do have my AR-15 as a back up If needed.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts

I fully agree with everything you said and advocate except the “basketball sized pattern.” Test it.

From a cylinder bore no matter what the “ejecta,” which is the fancy name for the payload of a shot shell, the spread will be a pretty uniform 1” per yard from the muzzle. So at 9 feet, which is “typical” “living room range,” that ounce and 1/2 or so of lead would be a deadly “blob” about 3” in diameter. AND will give total energy transfer with no over penetration,better than any buckshot at very close range.

That’s why you have to test it, and why you still have to AIM with a shotgun, granted not quite like your sight picture with a handgun or rifle, but you can easily miss at close range with a shotgun no matter if you’re using buck or bird.

Likewise you CAN take a head shot at the BG at close range with a hostage target even with buck or birdshot and your hostage will be safe IF you practice and know your “tube.”

Check out John Shaw sometime. He could make a combat shotgun SING, and it will open your eyes.

Indoors, heavy birdshot “field loads.” Save your buck and slugs for outdoor use😎

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Now I read an article once that made a lot of sense, but never had a chance to test yet, about using varmint loads in your AR if you choose it for home defense. Knowing how frangible 50 or 60 gr Vmaxs are in my Pdog loads it makes sense...they would “probably” break up if they hit anything other than soft tissue and not go through walls, and at close range they will definitely stop somewhere inside the perp, and not over penetrate there either. The question would be would there be enough penetration, but that would be a lot of foot pounds transferring, at living room range, especially with multiple hits, the BG should go down, if not out...and you’ll probably hit better with a a4 type carbine in the nighttime stress situation than with any handgun at least...it gave me food for thought anyway, especially since most of my 30 round mags are probably loaded with Vmaxs 😉

·
Registered
623 Posts
The large muddy paw prints about 4-5' up the glass storm doors, from my 4 yr. old muscular Pit, on both doors kinda underline the point, as well as the beefy trolley lines leading to the doors.

I also have my new semi-auto Radikal SA1 (4+1) with one in the pipe, (so 5 rounds) propped up against the bedroom door. (#4Buck) various single shot shotguns w/ammo saddles stashed around the house. A Mossberg 500 (okay Western Field) 20ga pump beside the bed.

I need/want a sign to post in the driveway up front. "The Dog is Off his Meds. and is Armed.

Anyone breaking in here, has made a Serious Tactical Error.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think an ideal shotgun would be a Benelli M2 compact in 20 gauge with an 18.5" barrel and an extended mag tube.
Sure wish Benelli would come out with a barrel shorter than 24" for the 20 gauge M2's, I'd snap one up.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
My front door, actually the glass storm door in front of the main door, has "Premises Protected by 12ga." On it. Small gold letters on black background, 3/4" tall. (Chest high)

Back door has a 8 1/2" X 11" white metal sign with a Muscular black form with one shot in the head, two in center mass - "Nothing Inside is worth dying for." Face high.

The large muddy paw prints about 4-5' up the glass storm doors, from my 4 yr. old muscular Pit, on both doors kinda underline the point, as well as the beefy trolley lines leading to the doors.

I also have my new semi-auto Radikal SA1 (4+1) with one in the pipe, (so 5 rounds) propped up against the bedroom door. (#4Buck) various single shot shotguns w/ammo saddles stashed around the house. A Mossberg 500 (okay Western Field) 20ga pump beside the bed.

I need/want a sign to post in the driveway up front. "The Dog is Off his Meds. and is Armed.

Anyone breaking in here, has made a Serious Tactical Error.
I used to have bumper stickers that read “ Driver only carries $20 of ammunition“, now nothing on my vehicles or home gives a hint of being armed. Time has brought to my attention that being the grey man has many advantages, both tactically and legally. If forced to play those hard cards you can bet that photos of your “warnings “ will be prominent exhibits at the inevitable civil trial brought by the deceased's grieving family. Anyone who has been involved in civil litigation can tell you that emotion can and often does override facts or right in outcomes there.
We all gotta play the cards we are dealt as we see fit. As a younger man I was a bit more visible. The years have slowed my reflexes and diminished my strength but hopefully added to understanding...... I prefer to keep my hand very close to my vest.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts