Home Ranges

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Film495, Jul 24, 2019.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Film, if you're within city limits, it most likely won't happen. If you are in the county outside of city limits, check with your Sheriff Dept. Ask nicely and they may even send a deputy out to look over where you want to shoot.
    If you get a stamp of approval, keep your shooting time between 10am and 4pm. Stop by the neighbors that are close enough to be bothered by gunshots, and let them know you have a range on your property, what days you shoot, and the hours. You might end up with some new friends that want to shoot with you though.:)

tedwitt likes this.
  2. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I hope you are correct!
    The rule here is 300 feet as well.
    The house I live in is on 6 acres. I have 1 neighbor that I could possibly stand on my property and be within 300 feet of. I cannot discharge a firearm on my property within 300 feet of their house. Obviously, in an emergency situation, the prosecutor could choose not to prosecute me, but if I were to simply target shoot, no good.
    I have spoken to a lawyer about it.
    May the laws in NH be different than right next door!

tedwitt likes this.

3. Film495

Film495 Well-Known Member

right, that's what I read and thought as well. after studying it for a while (over a period of 5 years, keep coming back to it), that isn't the whole sentence. You're leaving out the part that says "or from the owner of the land on which the person discharging the firearm or shooting the bow and arrow or crossbow and bolt is situated."

I really think from what is written, if you are outside of a contiguous area - and are on your own property(or have a property owners permission) - totally legal. Distance from a house may be inconsiderate or a noise violation or poor judgement, but not illegal to fire unless done unsafe and recklessly. I did put in a few queries to local lawyers - will be interesting to see what comes back.

tedwitt likes this.
  4. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Film, is your planned shooting bench within that 300' distance or is it just that your property line is within the 300' distance?

tedwitt likes this.
  5. Film495

the bench would be less than 300 feet

tedwitt likes this.
  6. Shanghai

Shanghai Well-Known Member

Up until about 15 years ago, our gun club had an unwritten agreement with the Police department. The club could use the Police range 6 days a week and the police would have it exclusively on Wednesdays. The club would maintain and improve the range. Over some number of years both the police department and our club made improvements and the range matured into a good one. There is a 25 yard pistol, a 50 yard pistol/rifle range and unrestricted range out to 200 yards.

There were no local laws governing shooting in the area of the range. We had 12 foot berms at 50, 100, and 200 yards. We never worried about bullets getting off the range because there was a city landfill to the East, a fire department practice area on the west that was seldom used and, a vast, heavily wooded flood plain to the South. Any bullet fired over the berms was assumed to land harmlessly somewhere in the woods or a tree trunk.

One Wednesday, when the range was being used by the police, there was a man doing something out in the flood plain when an emergency caller reported to the police department that someone in the flood plain had been shot and taken to the emergency room.

The shooting victim underwent surgery and a 45 caliber bullet which could have only come from the range was removed from his chest. Ballistic testing tied it to a pistol that was being used on the range that day by a policeman.

The range was immediately closed and the city fearfully decided to auction it off. Our club and the waste disposal company operating the landfill next to the range were the only bidders. The waste disposal company won the bid and bought the range. We were surprised when the company came to us and offered to sell it for what they had paid for it. It seems that both landfill owners and gun ranges seldom have tolerant neighbors. We bought what is our range today after reaching agreement with the city to engage the NRA to make a safe range. Today it is probably impossible for a bullet to escape from the range so long as it is launched downrange, to either side, or upward at more than at almost 45 degrees from normal line of sight.

The point to us as we planned was that we should assume any bullet that escaped the range would strike somebody. As to the victim in this incident that frightened the city into selling the range, he hired an attorney. During negotiations of a lawsuit vs. cash settlement by the city.........the guy simply disappeared leading all to assume he was a homeless person.

So, as to shooting from your property, if any shooting session entails some possibility that a bullet will somehow get off your property, assume that it will injure or kill somebody. It is improbable that the victim or family of the victim would disappear as the victim in our case.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    tedwitt likes this.
  7. Film495

Shanghai - can't agree more. First step find out if it would be legal, then if it is - consider the nrg and $ required to make it safe to do. Might not be realistic, but - the desire to shoot at some tin cans without driving for an hour - is strong. Might just not be worth it, but I'll always think about it, even if I never get around to it ..

tedwitt likes this.
  8. Film495

tedwitt likes this.
  9. Film495

looking at what I'd have to do - really to make it safe to the standard I would want, it would cost more than a few dollars to set up. the lot behind me is empty, but if they built a house there that would shut me down, so - the risk of spending money to get set up, only to not be able to use it, sort of puts this into the died on the vine category, unless I can find out if that lot is developable or not, currently no road access to it as far as I can tell … so, it may never be developed. queried my local real estate guy to see what he knows.

tedwitt likes this.
  10. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Buy the lot.

Grizzley1 likes this.
  11. Film495

workin' on it … lol

Grizzley1 likes this.
  12. Film495

lot is not subdivided, and is part of a 14 acre lot - 11.3 acres are in current use. in 2010 someone created a plan to subdivide and add 4 houses, but I don't think it made it very far. strange tidbit here, new owners bought in 2013 and put into current use. It appears they are the same owners who owned it before until 1974.