The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I Had some box steel and flat stock left over from some brackets I made up for a friends excavator so I decided to make an adjustable gun rest that was stable and transportable. The only thing I needed to buy was the elevation adjustment screw and that was less than $5 on Amazon. I tried it out on a .22 magnum that needed new scope mounts after being dropped and bent out of alignment. Was very pleased with the results.

View attachment 257186
My 2¢

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Had some box steel and flat stock left over from some brackets I made up for a friends excavator so I decided to make an adjustable gun rest that was stable and transportable. The only thing I needed to buy was the elevation adjustment screw and that was less than $5 on Amazon. I tried it out on a .22 magnum that needed new scope mounts after being dropped and bent out of alignment. Was very pleased with the results.

View attachment 257186
Sir,Nice..Very Nice

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I went out this morning to test your suggestions and for the life of me I can't figure out what your bubble level would achieve? Maybe you can expound on your thought?

The forearm support cradle is padded with EPDM high density foam to protect the gun surface and is about as stable your going to get without the thing bolted down however it wouldn't hurt to place a sandbag on the crossbar if you wanted to drag one around. The whole purpose of this build was to make a sled heavy and stable enough to stand on its own and it seems to do quite well for me in that aspect. The major brand green sled I was using was unstable and cheaply built IMHO. Just my .2c

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
So I went out this morning to test your suggestions and for the life of me I can't figure out what your bubble level would achieve? Maybe you can expound on your thought?

The forearm support cradle is padded with EPDM high density foam to protect the gun surface and is about as stable your going to get without the thing bolted down however it wouldn't hurt to place a sandbag on the crossbar if you wanted to drag one around. The whole purpose of this build was to make a sled heavy and stable enough to stand on its own and it seems to do quite well for me in that aspect. The major brand green sled I was using was unstable and cheaply built IMHO. Just my .2c
Take a look at a Vudoo Rifle. It is THE 22 caliber rifle currently at the top of the BEST list. The stock has a built-in bubble. Having the rifle as level as it can be is important to accurate shooting. As in 5 bullet holes all touching each other at 100 yards accuracy. And one more suggestion; a swivel of some sort so that you can adjust for windage otherwise you have to move the entire rest to compensate for windage. Again, my 2¢. You have an EXCELLENT project. Please continue to tweak it. You are on a path to designing a useful, practical device to help shooters!

·
11,900 Posts
Looks great.
All you need to do is make the butt pad brace spring loaded.
Most people do not know that Hard brace in the back can cause a stock to break at the pressure points.
I learned this the hard way.
I was wondering about some type of shock absorber BUT, it would actually slide if it's not too heavy. Just my $0.02.

·
11,900 Posts
It only has to move as much as your shoulder would. You just do not want it to be a solid hit.
My Dad found an old shotgun back in the 60s, he somehow tied it between the forks in a tree and put a string on the trigger, he had to make a new stock for it, the gun fired without exploding, he was ok with it, he built a custom stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 257186
Looks beautiful! FORUM VIOLATION

I also agree with the comments on a butt pad for it. Sounds like the same material you used on the rest should be enough for most calibers, I would think, or maybe something like a hard recoil pad?

Anyway you tweak it this one is a beauty to behold!!! Simplicity and functionality in the same device!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Take a look at a Vudoo Rifle. It is THE 22 caliber rifle currently at the top of the BEST list. The stock has a built-in bubble. Having the rifle as level as it can be is important to accurate shooting. As in 5 bullet holes all touching each other at 100 yards accuracy. And one more suggestion; a swivel of some sort so that you can adjust for windage otherwise you have to move the entire rest to compensate for windage. Again, my 2¢. You have an EXCELLENT project. Please continue to tweak it. You are on a path to designing a useful, practical device to help shooters!
Here is what I am talking about when I say being level is important. This is from yesterday.

In competition measurement is made from center-hole to center-hole. So this is a group just a hair over a quarter of an inch at 100 yards. The group is to the left due to a steady right-to-left wind.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yes. A level on the tee part on the left side so you can see it with the rifle setting in the rest. The level to show the left to right horizon to let you adjust the two front feet.

I have been thinking myself to make a similar type unit. I'm still trying to figure what would work best at the back to soak up the recoil and also not upset the rifles position but haven't come up with a way either. It cant be ridgid as @goofy says above or your stock and receiver will pay the price.

All trails have led me back to using the shoulder to do this so far. Its either that or giving the entire rest/sled the abity to move with recoil and then move back to the original position then it becomes a complicated high precision machine.

As long as your using for .22s you are fine with what you have with just a recoil pad at the rear.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes. A level on the tee part on the left side so you can see it with the rifle setting in the rest. The level to show the left to right horizon to let you adjust the two front feet.

I have been thinking myself to make a similar type unit. I'm still trying to figure what would work best at the back to soak up the recoil and also not upset the rifles position but haven't come up with a way either. It cant be ridgid as @goofy says above or your stock and receiver will pay the price.

All trails have led me back to using the shoulder to do this so far. Its either that or giving the entire rest/sled the abity to move with recoil and then move back to the original position then it becomes a complicated high precision machine.

As long as your using for .22s you are fine with what you have with just a recoil pad at the rear.
You guys are over thinking this thing. I have shot both 30-06 and .308 with this sled with no issues. The rear cup is lined with 1/2 EPDM foam and the 3 feet are rubber padded to reduce slippage but when shooting large caliber it does move some, enough to dissipate the recoil. It's not like the thing is bolted down and 100% rigid. I do like the bubble level idea and have added a magnetic level to the cross bar but not really sure it's going to add much. Unlike 270 Petload, I am not shooting competition and while a 1/4 group is sweet as all get out it's not necessary for hunting Varmint, Deer or other game. I'm perfectly happy with a 1" group at 2-300 yards. Also, FWIW, a google search of commercially available gun rests show a variety of styles, some with solid butt plates and some open allowing your shoulder to absorb the recoil. One of the higher end ones here…

·
Super Moderator
44,039 Posts
You guys are over thinking this thing. I have shot both 30-06 and .308 with this sled with no issues. The rear cup is lined with 1/2 EPDM foam and the 3 feet are rubber padded to reduce slippage but when shooting large caliber it does move some, enough to dissipate the recoil. It's not like the thing is bolted down and 100% rigid. I do like the bubble level idea and have added a magnetic level to the cross bar but not really sure it's going to add much. Unlike 270 Petload, I am not shooting competition and while a 1/4 group is sweet as all get out it's not necessary for hunting Varmint, Deer or other game. I'm perfectly happy with a 1" group at 2-300 yards. Also, FWIW, a google search of commercially available gun rests show a variety of styles, some with solid butt plates and some open allowing your shoulder to absorb the recoil. One of the higher end ones here…
I have to agree with you, some folks are way over thinking it! It is a good looking rest and should be functional, if it works for you, it is good!!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts