The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posted this earlier but got an alert saying it was moved, but not sure why or where to.

Just trying to see if there is any way to identify this stock or to what it may have went to. It was one my dad had. He passed away recently and left all of it to me. I'm not interested in selling it, just wanted to see what it may be. It does not have a gun that I have found that goes to it. Thank you.

PS If this gets moved can an admin at least let me know what is wrong please. It's technically my second post now. Editing to say if anyone needs more pics or if I can provide extra info I will be more than glad to.

·
Super Moderator
39,887 Posts
When a Moderator or Admin moved a thread, an alert is automatically sent to you that tells you it was moved and usually they will tells you where it is moved. I remember the post because I commented on it, but I see no evidence of a previous thread so it may have been deleted for being in the "general discussion" forum.

I will say the same thing here as I did in the other post. It looks a lot like the stock on my old Marlin bolt action shotgun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yeah, I got the alert that it was moved but not where to. I was confused, but thank you for clearing that up. I'm hoping I can hear from several people about this stock.

·
Premium Member
9,869 Posts
Is it just my eyes tricking me or does it say Steven’s to the right of the “9”?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
It's aftermarket, the factory pads on the 20 had a "Z" pattern. I'm pretty sure that's a SPT-48 or 58 stock. The Sportsman or SPT-48 wasn't checkered, the recoil plate matches the imprint, and it has the inlet for the trigger group tang.
The tang bolt came loose, and the recoil caused the plate to hammer the front of the stock. The rear of the stock came down, the rear of the receiver went up, resulting in the wrist crack, and the oblong receiver tang hole in the stock.
Recoil plate:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it's a 9. I think it's a 16 so I'm wondering if that would imply 16 Gauge? The only other marking I see on it is a "T" and a "4"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe that's a Remington Sportsman 48.
I am in agreeance that it is a Remington and I'm assuming the 16 was for the fact it was a 16 Gauge? I never knew my dad to have the 11-48 but I do know for a fact he had a Remington 870 and I also find it ironic that he bought a rear grip for the 870 and likely took the stock off of it. Do you think that is the stock to the 870 perhaps? Thank you for your input too by the way. It is much appreciated.

·
9,672 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, I got the alert that it was moved but not where to. I was confused, but thank you for clearing that up. I'm hoping I can hear from several people about this stock.
If it doesn't tell you where it went, just do a search with the name of your original post and you can find it that way.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
16 and 12ga stocks fit the same frame,as well as the pre'77 20ga. The "16" is for the gauge, later just stamped with the model number, and both were stamped upside down. Remington didn't change much on the buttstocks for the auto's and pumps. The difference between pump and auto, is the hole drilled through the buttsock. One is for the bolt on the pump, the other for the recoil spring tube on the auto. They look the same from the front, but take the buttpad off, and the the 'step" inside is different.
Is that 870 a 16ga?

·
Super Moderator
26,841 Posts
16 and 12ga stocks fit the same frame,as well as the pre'77 20ga. The "16" is for the gauge, later just stamped with the model number, and both were stamped upside down. Remington didn't change much on the buttstocks for the auto's and pumps. The difference between pump and auto, is the hole drilled through the buttsock. One is for the bolt on the pump, the other for the recoil spring tube on the auto. They look the same from the front, but take the buttpad off, and the the 'step" inside is different.
Is that 870 a 16ga?
I am glad that you explained that Remington stamped the gauge upside down, I had noticed that everything else was opposite and thinkg that maybe it was a 91

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that 870 a 16ga?
He doesn't have it anymore. He got rid of most of his guns before he passed away. He had always said he was going to leave me three guns (two shotguns, and a rifle) so that's exactly what he did. It was all the guns he had. I'm wanting to post something else but this time it's about some grips for a Taurus revolver. They look to be original so I was hoping someone could pointe in the right direction on those as well. I tend to like handguns and revolvers more than rifles and shotguns usually. With that being said I am still extremely grateful my dad left me these ones that he did and I never plan on selling them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts