Hopkins & Allen Arms .38 Cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by slyfed, May 2, 2009.

1. slyfed

slyfed New Member

I have a .38 Cal 5 shot revolver Ser #3992 "Safety Police" with marking on tonp of barrel:
    "Hopkins & Allen Arms Co
    Norwich, Conn USA Pat'd Aug 2 1906"

Wood handgrips in good condition, blueing is worn off of most of body of pistol. Appears to be in good firing condition, but I have not fired it.
    I have 3 good photos of pistol, but do not know how to upload to site.
    I would like an approximate appraisal, as I do not need and wish to sell along with leather belt holster and 45 rounds of 146 grain Remington .38 SW ammunition for a fair price. I only need a ballpark valuation as tomorrow I plan to go to a gun show at Cabela's in Lacey, WA in an effort to sell it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the 30th edition of the blue book lisst the H&A safety police model 1908-1917 as 100%=$375 down to 60%=$185. from the pictures provided i personally would rate this revolver as less than 60%. a hands on inspection may prove otherwise and it does have the extra cost oversize wood grips. my opinion is you will be lucky to get a dealer to offer your more than a $100.
    bill

Last edited: May 2, 2009

3. slyfed

slyfed New Member

Well, this must be my lucky day, because the gun buyer at Cabela's just offered me $140. He said the pistol was about 70% and thus worth between $175 and $200. Since I only paid $50 for it about 6 years ago when I bought it from a man less knowledgeable than I, I sold it on the spot.
    Thank you for the response and information about the pistol.