Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

hopkins & allen pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mboswell1982, May 13, 2009.

1. mboswell1982

mboswell1982 New Member

hey, i have an old hopkins and allen pistol, and i was wondering how much its worth? it says its a ranger 2 and the serial number is 2612, its pictured below

[​IMG]

i have not attempted to fire this pistol, nor will i, as it feels like the hammer is loose an does not cock back, so i personally feel its unsafe.

on the top strap, it says hopkins & allen mfg. co pat march 28 1871 ranger 2 and under the barrel is the serial number 2612

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. mboswell1982

mboswell1982 New Member

anyone got any idea on this one? i really need some info, thanks guys

3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Flayderman's Guide lumps them in with other "spur trigger" revolvers, with an approximate value range in excellent condition of $150-$350.

4. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

I would think with the engraving and grips your gun would be more valuable than a plain one. If it is factory engraving it may be worth even more.

5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

hopkins & allen literally manufactured humdreds of thousand of these revolvers between 1868 and 1899. this is the only dating that can be done for now as there are no known H&A factory serial number record. in fact the number marked on them is not a serial number but a batch number and the batches could be any where between 10,000 and 100,000 because of this batch numbering there are many H&A revolvers out there with the same number. the fact that this one has H&A's name on it at least tell you who made it. many of the H&A manufactured single action spur trigger revolvers have nothing but a brand name on them. the number 2 marked on the revolver usually indicates the caliber. most likely this is a 32 rimfire caliber revolver. all of these H&A single action spur trigger revolver were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and should never be fired with modern smokeless ammo.

i have amassed a list of 41 plus brand names H&A used for the same basic revolver and another 15 plus they used on double action revolvers. there is some collector's interest in these revolvers but they seldom will sell for more than $250. as many of them were machine engraved with fancy grips that rarely add to their value.
    bill