Hopkins and Allen 32 Safety Police

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ThatOneGuy, Nov 9, 2016.

1. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy New Member

I recently acquired a H&A safety police top break revolver. Its chambered in 32 (I believe S&W) however I'm not positive as to if it is black powder or smokeless. Beneath the grip is the serial number 806 and the patent date is Aug 21 1906. It's not perfect and I don't really care what it's worth, but I'm looking to find out any information regarding the ammo for it and any solutions to the cylinder not rotating when I pull back the hammer. Now to clarify, it will rotate on each chamber of the cylinder but one. It attempts to, but does not rotate to the next chamber. Any information regarding those items and disassembly/cleaning is welcome. Thanks for taking the time to look this over.

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Pictures sure would help us "look it over"!

3. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy New Member

Sorry I'll get some, but by "look this over" I meant the posting. Just for clarification.

4. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy New Member

5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

There has been very little work done on H&A history. I only know of one very small book ( pamphlet really ) done by Joe V. I know of no H&A serial number base. It is unknown if H&A went to a stronger smokeless frame before they folded ( 1917 )or not. you have a broken lobe on your cylinder star ratchet. You can see the missing piece in your pictures. How to fix it? If by somehow you were able to find a new part but that is an unlikely quest . A good welder could possibly tack a glob of metal and then you could have it rework to work but that would cost at least several times the value of the piece. Caliber? if it is 32 then 32 S&W short .

6. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy New Member

Thanks for the info, I'll try to hunt up a replacement part for it. Perhaps it wouldn't be bad to find the correct forum and start a serial number list. Just a list per model.