The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!!! Ill get to it. I have a Hopkins and Allen shotgun. Was handed down to me from great grandad to GD to Dad To me. Now what the heck is it. lol only markings on it are b981(or a 7) hard to tell. and it reads Full Choke on top of the barrel. It has a lever to break open the single shot. It also has a hammer. Also believe it has Norwich Conn. USA on the side also. The barrel is not riffled. All info i can get would be great! I would really like to here the history of this gun. I would like to get it fixed up and cleaned. If its worth something, GREAT! If not it does not matter. Sentimental piece to me.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF. Hopkins & Allen made large numbers of utility grade guns but ended business in 1915, so your ancestor's gun is near or over 100 years old.

There are no serial number records and value of typical old break-open single barrels is under $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. well aside from that, is there anywhere i can purchase a few rounds for this gun? Or would this be special round that need to be made?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
thanks for the response. well aside from that, is there anywhere i can purchase a few rounds for this gun? Or would this be special round that need to be made?
Hundred year old shotguns deserve retirement, but if you must fire it to "connect" with your ancestors, ask your local gun shop where you can find "cowboy action" black powder shotgun shells.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
First, you have to know the gauge; it is probably 12 gauge, but will use shorter and less powerful shells than today's standard. I suggest you take the gun to a gunsmith or someone familiar with the older guns before firing it.

If the barrel is Damascus (look for a kind of "barber pole" effect in the barrel) I would not recommend firing it, even with black powder shells, and certainly not with modern shells, at least not without a thorough checkup.

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 20 gauge shotgun serial number e9537 handed down from my grandmother's mother. And my grandmother was born in 1910 so have no idea when her mother would have got it. Any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
47,187 Posts
This thread is almost 10 years old. Please start a new thread with plenty of pictures and someone will be able to tell you about the shotgun, when she got it, you may never find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.