The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this in a drawer for years. It is a H & A 32 with a 1 inch barrel. I have seen all kinds of pics on the internet but have never seen a pic of this exact model. It says XL Double Action....Hopkins and Allen Arms Co....Norwich Ct USA on the top. It has the serial number 2537 on it. I would like to what model it is? Also what ammo I could use with it? I have read on other threads you should only use black powder ammo, can you still buy this and where? Also how much it is worth?

Thank You for the help....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your gun is actually a Forehand & Wadsworth model: After Hopkins & Allen's factory was destroyed in a fire, they bought the Forehand & Wadsworth factory and leftover assets in 1902 and for a few years made F&W models. The advertisement below is from the 1905 Sears catalog.

The barrel of yours was probably shortened by a past owner, and value less than $100.

It was made for the black powder .32 S&W cartridge, and I doubt anyone is now making black powder ammo in that caliber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
If someone cut down the barrel it appears to have been a good job. A good image of the muzzle might clear up if it is factory or a cut down. Look to see if it has any nickle plate on the crown.

Since this is a solid frame revolver, as long has it is otherwise in good condition I would have not problem using modern factory .32 S&W ammo in it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have to agree with 45Auto on this one. I have seen these snubbies before. Actually, H&R, Iver Johnson, and Hopkins & allen all produced these "vest pocket revolvers" to some extent. Most were mostly special order revolvers for the person looking for a true concealed carry gun. Of course the sights would be useless and only snag on clothing, as would a spurred trigger. The accuracy would be in the 6-8" range.:D:D.
I'm enclosing a pic of one that I know of.
Old gun Guy

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
:) And I would have to agree that , that one also has been cut down, This was a popular modification , even years after the gun was in circulation. If you look at the crown of the original posters gun, you can see damage to the crown, was this a result of droping the gun or a result of tool marks when it was cut? Unfortunaly, with so little reasearch done on H&A firearms, for any type of appraisal, the various books in existance have to prevail. In this case, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and the books say it is a duck, I would have to assume, it may very well be a duck.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
It appears neatly done from the side view shown, but I'm still betting on a non-factory shortened barrel, that a clear muzzle view might confirm (use macro camera setting if you take one, fairtomidland)

The only similar factory example I've ever seen is the Harrington & Richardson "Vest Pocket" model that OldGunGuy shows (not cut down, made in .22 and .32):

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...&qpvt=h&r+vest+pocket+safety+hammer&FORM=IGRE

There's no record of such a solid frame variation in Goforth's Iver Johnson book, and the example in question here was made during a transition period when Hopkins & Allen was using up leftover Forehand & Wadsworth parts.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Oops, my bad, another case of carelessness. I just glanced at the photo, didn't dawn on my that it was another maker other than H&A. As I posted, I believe the H&A has been chopped untill proven innocent.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at it and it looks to be nickel plated, I will post a pic shortly, im trying to figure out if this camera has Macro! I probably wont figure it out so ill post the best pic I can!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
In the first image it looks like the crown has some original nickle plate on it. The owner reports that the crown is nickle plated. Thus, I'm of the impression that it's an original factory snub nose. Old Gun Guy and I have had alot of experience with revolvers like this one.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
In the first image it looks like the crown has some original nickle plate on it. The owner reports that the crown is nickle plated. Thus, I'm of the impression that it's an original factory snub nose. Old Gun Guy and I have had alot of experience with revolvers like this one.
None of the pics are clear enough to see if nickel remains, and look at the erratic bore crown in the first view:

It looks exactly like one done with a rat tail file or large drill bit (like some I did as a teenager :rolleyes: )

But even that appearance might be caused by the fuzzy photo.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
With Hopkins and Allen gone and so very little research available,it would be difficult to stand in a court of law and make a definite statement as to it's authenticity, However, if I were to examine it at a gun show and I was told it was a factory built gun, I would smile and walk away. Just MO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.