The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would start a new thread for this.
I am trying to load for a .357 rile and pistol.

I have a Hornady manual.
It does not show any powder I have or can get.
It does state 1.240 trim length.

I have the cases trimmed to 1.240 pluse about .001 or .002.

My question, Can I use a load formula from another manual even though they are showing a 1.285 trim length?

The powders I have are all Hodgdon. H110 - CFE Pistol - 700X and Titegroup.

Thank you,
Dale

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought I would start a new thread for this.

I have a Hornady manual.
It does not show any powder I have or can get.
It does state 1.240 trim length.

I have the cases trimmed to 1.240 pluse about .001 or .002.

My question, Can I use a load formula from another manual even though they are showing a 1.285 trim length?

The powders I have are all Hodgdon. H110 - CFE Pistol - 700X and Titegroup.

Thank you,
Dale
sounds like your loading 357 mag.

I load them in regular length brass at oacl of 1.6 w/ 296 but they cycle through my marlin 1894 ok at that length. They also work in my SAA at 1.6 oacl but I don't load those with 296 for the SAA cause it shakes the screws loose. I just use in the rifle.

I couldn't find much info on the ftx bullet either. I went with around 92-93 percent case volumn and speed was at 1700fps in an 18.5" barrel. Pressures looked about right at that loading and it was accurate so I didn't go hotter - I only do that with 296 or lil gun though not with any faster small volumn type powders. This was just me and only in a rifle. I tried TB in the rifle also but could not get as much speed without starting to see pressure signs.

The seating depth with the ftx bullet is almost an 1/8" deeper than most bullet designs so without trimming any extra off standard length brass you have about the same case volumn in the 357 mag case as with a 38spl case with other bullets. If you trim to the shorter length to keep oacl to 1.59 you will have even less.

CAUTION Look for load data for that particular bullet and dont cross reference with any same weight others because of the reduced case volumn.

When I finish the ftx bullets I have I won't get anymore. I get more speed out of 158 grn and the bc is about the same or even better on some. But the ftx does group a little better. I load these for hunting only bit IMO 158 xtps are better if you can find them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK then. I will pick a load and have a go at it.
EDIT: old school, I just saw you post. It gave me something to think about.
Now I may not use the 1.240 cases.
I will have to think this over again.

Thanks for the replies.

Dale

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
Use the dang short cases, YOU'LL BE FINE!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Still thinking it over.
It is fine to use the shorter cases as howlnmad and others along with hornady say. You just have reduced case volumn.

Honady I think advertises thier factory leverevolution ammo at 1900fps in a carbine. I dont know what powder they use to get it in the reduced case volumn. I dont have the equipment and resources at my disposal to get that fps at safe pressures. I have not crono'd the factory ammo in my rifle so cant confirm their advertised fps.

When hunting fps, weight, and bc determines your effective shooting distance because of energy loss down range. If you are not using for hunting it doesnt matter as much. A 140grn and a 158grn bullet moving at the same speed at 100 yrds do not deliver the same energy. I get the same fps with 165grn gc cast bullets as I get with the 140grn ftx which = about another 25-50 yrds. The cast bullet does not expand though unless it hits a hard bone so its a trade off - they almost always, even with head on shots, exit at respectible ranges (=/< 125 yards).

Edit - I do hunt with the 357 carbine some because I enjoy the challenge and limitations (similar to BP). I would also note I use other rifles when the conditions change - the last deer I took was with a 25-06 at close to 400 yrds. Sometimes I grab the old 30-30. It just depends on where I'm hunting and the mood I'm in.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
It is fine to use the shorter cases as howlnmad and others along with hornady say. You just have reduced case volumn.

Honady I think advertises thier factory leverevolution ammo at 1900fps in a carbine. I dont know what powder they use to get it in the reduced case volumn. I dont have the equipment and resources at my disposal to get that fps at safe pressures. I have not crono'd the factory ammo in my rifle so cant confirm their advertised fps.

When hunting fps, weight, and bc determines your effective shooting distance because of energy loss down range. If you are not using for hunting it doesnt matter as much. A 140grn and a 158grn bullet moving at the same speed at 100 yrds do not deliver the same energy. I get the same fps with 165grn gc cast bullets as I get with the 140grn ftx which = about another 25-50 yrds. The cast bullet does not expand though unless it hits a hard bone so its a trade off - they almost always, even with head on shots, exit at respectible ranges (=/< 125 yards).

Edit - I do hunt with the 357 carbine some because I enjoy the challenge and limitations (similar to BP). I would also note I use other rifles when the conditions change - the last deer I took was with a 25-06 at close to 400 yrds. Sometimes I grab the old 30-30. It just depends on where I'm hunting and the mood I'm in.
Did you use the Hornady XTP's for hunting? I don't know how they work on big game in a .357, but the last time I went cow elk hunting I had to shoot a cow elk 3 times to finish her. 60 yds. with a .41 magnum & XTP's. I'm going back to shooting hard cast bullets again. Although the XTP's killed the elk, it wasn't quickly enough for me. I usually use my Ruger SRH & Buffalo Bore .45 Colt ammo but it's getting to be too heavy to lug around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did you use the Hornady XTP's for hunting? I don't know how they work on big game in a .357, but the last time I went cow elk hunting I had to shoot a cow elk 3 times to finish her. 60 yds. with a .41 magnum & XTP's. I'm going back to shooting hard cast bullets again. Although the XTP's killed the elk, it wasn't quickly enough for me. I usually use my Ruger SRH & Buffalo Bore .45 Colt ammo but it's getting to be too heavy to lug around.
I think the 158 grn xtps are better in 357 but I'm not sure about in the 41mag or 45lc. I dont suggest the 125 or 110 grn for deer hunting. I think you can get magmun grade xtps for the larger dia bullets but haven't seen any for 357 dia - I think the std hold up ok in 357.

I've never used on anything larger than white tails. I like the lee 158 rnfp also but I put a gas check on them and push to around 1680fps+/- at 165 grns with my alloy, gc, & molly lube. The deer around here have gotten a lot smaller in the last 20yrs so I went to HPs in the 357. 190 to 220 lbs used to be common but most now hardly break 100 lbs.

Even with 3 shots at 60yrds on your elk that was good shooting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went shooting today.
I really wanted to check out my new spotting scope.

I took my 2 Blackhawks and some of the 140 FTX cartridges with me.

I was not impressed with them at all.
Not very accurate to me.
Might be OK if my guns were sighted in for them.

They did not have much recoil and at 100 yards I don't remember hitting a 3' x 4' target.

I will just leave them in the box and maybe use them for my summer loads

Thanks for all the replies.

Dale

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I think the 158 grn xtps are better in 357 but I'm not sure about in the 41mag or 45lc. I dont suggest the 125 or 110 grn for deer hunting. I think you can get magmun grade xtps for the larger dia bullets but haven't seen any for 357 dia - I think the std hold up ok in 357.

I've never used on anything larger than white tails. I like the lee 158 rnfp also but I put a gas check on them and push to around 1680fps+/- at 165 grns with my alloy, gc, & molly lube. The deer around here have gotten a lot smaller in the last 20yrs so I went to HPs in the 357. 190 to 220 lbs used to be common but most now hardly break 100 lbs.

Even with 3 shots at 60yrds on your elk that was good shooting.
I've found that with each passing year the ranges on good shots increases....sometimes a lot. It was probably closer than that. Next year when I tell the tale it'll be 75 yds. and a running shot. That cow was standing stock still and looking the other way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts