Horizontal stringing?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Scalloper, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Scalloper

Scalloper Member

1C4F9BF9-F8F6-4D44-9190-ED20490ABD99.jpeg
    I loaded 25 once fired rounds for my .243 I did 5 different powder charges and shot groups at 200 yds. I know most use 100 yds for load development but in the past I have seen loads Settelment in (go to sleep) over 150+ and produce better groups. The 4 horizontal holes is actually a 5 shot group. So my question is what causes a horizontal group? A high sd would produce a vertical string but what if anything may cause horizontal?

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  2. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

In short......wind.

What were the conditions when shooting?

3. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Is the barrel in contact with the stock at any point along the length of the barrel channel? A pressure point along the side of the barrel could push the shots as the barrel heats up. The barrel could have been improperly stress relieved or straightened during it's manufacture. Is the rifle in a solid rest when the loads are being tested? A heavy trigger pull, jerking the trigger and the gun not solidly mounted. Not making any accusations, just tossing out possibilities.

4. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Horizontal 'string' is most often caused by your breathing practice. That assumes you are shooting the same ammunition and not intermixing ammunition in your magazine.

When you are shooting from a supported rest (I assume you are shooting from a bench), try to practice your breathing/breath control. Sounds pretty simple, but try to hold a steady constant rest, acquire your sight picture in your sights, take in a deep, comfortable breath - let part of it out - aim and squeeze the trigger. If you hold too long and your sights begin to wander - start over.

Sometimes I have to do this more than once while aiming. If I find myself holding on target too long, I start over again. The key to accurate shooting is to repeat everything exactly the same every time. Your holding the rifle on a rest, your feet and sitting position, the amount of air you are holding in your lungs while you shoot - everything the same shot-to-shot. Just a matter of practice.

I find shooting at the types of targets your are using not good for me. The orange or the green targets don't present a clear target for me. I use the old black and white targets, and paste an orange dot sticker over the center bullseye. All I aim for is the center of the orange dot and if using a scope - try to divide that dot into 4 equal parts.

5. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Horizontal stringing includes everything posted above and could also be due to loose scope rings/mounts and or parallax. Make sure your parallax on the scope is adjusted.

6. zant

zant Well-Known Member

All of the above.....but the .243 is a "hot" round,not because of pressure,but overbore.My 6.5x06 will start to horiz string if I shoot 20rds quickly..if I pace the shots,stays right on.

jwdurf, shootbrownelk, Broot and 4 others like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My first thought was the shooter, second was the stock pressing on the side of the barrel due to heat and last was wind. That's very consistent stringing to be caused by wind, I think.

Poor ignition is also a cause of vertical stringing.

'Course the real problem could be the top target is turned on it's side rather than right side up......:D In that case what you have is actually vertical stringing and I'd suspect poor ignition....:D

8. Scalloper

Scalloper Member

Very calm

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. Scalloper

Scalloper Member

Thanks for all of the tips. So a little more about the situation. It was a very calm morning yesterday when I was doing load development and 20 degrees. The target was put up by my buddie that owns the pit (sideways) so I started with that target. The load was 37.5gr of IMR 4064 pushing a Berger 87gr VLD Hunting seated .005th off the lans. Brass was once fired Hornady with the shoulder bumped .002th. The hole to the left is actually two holes as this is a 5 shot group. I was shooting from a bench with a Winchester Modle 70 Coyote Lite. I shot two 5 round grops then let the rifel cool and shot this 5 shot group.
    It very well could have been me. I belive I will load up 10 more and see how those do.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    shootbrownelk and joe45c like this.
  10. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Scalloper, I was just teasing about the sideways target. Trying to introduce a little levity. Actually...I thought it was clever....lol!!!

Your loads sound as if they should shoot in any .243. Well crafted.

Is this a new rifle or one you've had for a while? If you've had it for a while and it's never done this before then something changed and you have to find what it is. If it's a new rifle....well, I guess the problem is the same, ya gotta find it.

I think just for my own edification I would try to run a dollar bill between the forestock and barrel to see if there is any significant interference....if you can get a bill between them. If you can't that might be a place to start looking.

11. TreeDave

TreeDave Well-Known Member Supporting Member

expand on Jim's comments
    Do you shoot left hand or right?
    Its mostly on the shooter!
    What are you using for a rest?
    placement of the target is important it should be straight and level.
    Your natural sight is off, The rifle is canted either to the right or left, because the stock is not in the correct part of the shoulder, next is cheek weld and pressure. this will keep the eye relief the same from shot to shot.
    next is trigger control and breathing. take a couple deep breaths and let out about half on the last one and hold it.
    looking through the scope with the crosshairs on the target close you eyes and wait a few seconds open your eyes and the cross hair should be in the exact same spot.
    That's a few things that make better shooters,
    hope this helps

shootbrownelk and Scalloper like this.
  12. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

My first thoughts were about trigger control, but I'm mainly a handgun shooter and "pulling" or "pushing" are obvious on the target.

Looks like you did a lot of load development and I'm not sure I've heard of horizontal stringing having anything to do with the ammo, but with the shooter and the gun. Wind gusts would be consistent putting bullets either right or left of center and unless the wind was "swirling" around, coming from different directions, all would be just to one side of center, POA..

13. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

I have an idea, but you would need to place new targets and reshoot same ammo/distance.
    Some have hit on a few things in my bag, but without reshooting; worthless.

shootbrownelk and Scalloper like this.
  14. Scalloper

Scalloper Member

I just loaded up more and if the wind is good in the morning I will give it another run.

mikld, shootbrownelk and jim brady like this.
  15. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Oooops - MY bad. I was looking at your targets and the string 'top to bottom' on the paper. Turns out that I also mis-read 'horizontal' (while looking at your targets and seeing 'vertical).

If your sight mounts are tight, and your groups swing on an even line left-to-right, your ammunition is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Those side-to-side shots are caused by either loose sight/optic mounts, or your shooting position is changing with every shot. Wind will cause your shots to spread sideways, but from what I've read, you said the wind was calm.

I am betting on loose sight mounts. Check those screws. I've had it happen to me a time or two. Another thing that will open up group size are loose or uneven torqued action screws.

shootbrownelk likes this.