The Firearms Forum banner

Hornadays Leverevolution for 30-30

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  streetbob 
#1 ·
has anyone loaded for this? I see the bullets are available, but havent seen the Leverevolution powder yet.

does this bullet require a diffrent die to properly seat the bullet due to the flexable tip?

#2 ·
While I haven't tried to reload with this bullet, I do like it! Turned my 30-30 into a 150 to 200 yard shooter. I'm sure that the flexable tip won't make any difference in the re-loading process.

#5 ·
I shot a quick question to one of my good friends I grew up with. He is a shooter on Team Hornady and he may know or can find out and when powder may be available. I will let you know when he gets back to me.
Thanks terryu1!

I have the Hornaday reloding manuel (8th edition) that has the reloading info for this bullet and powder in 165 gn bullet with powder listed. I have shot the factory load and where I was hitting the target at 150 yds before..with these I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 inch high! so will have to resight scope for them!

zant, my manuel shows the 325 Leverevolution bullet for the 45-70, but does not show it using the Leverevolution powder. it shows IMR 4198, H 4198, VIHT N-120, A1680,RL-7 and A2230 powders being used.

#6 ·
Thanks terryu1!

I have the Hornaday reloding manuel (8th edition) that has the reloading info for this bullet and powder in 165 gn bullet with powder listed. I have shot the factory load and where I was hitting the target at 150 yds before..with these I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 inch high! so will have to resight scope for them!

zant, my manuel shows the 325 Leverevolution bullet for the 45-70, but does not show it using the Leverevolution powder. it shows IMR 4198, H 4198, VIHT N-120, A1680,RL-7 and A2230 powders being used.
He didn't get back to me yet. Do you have any specific questions. I will ask him or I will call him tomorrow at his shop. He may not be home as he travels quite a bit for competitions and he also has to do some "booth time" at shows and seminars for Hornady.

#8 ·
He didn't get back to me yet. Do you have any specific questions. I will ask him or I will call him tomorrow at his shop. He may not be home as he travels quite a bit for competitions and he also has to do some "booth time" at shows and seminars for Hornady.
Yes! I have seen the heaver bullets for the 30-30, but the manuel only shows the 165, is this the only recommended load for the 30-30 or will Hornaday be listing others in the 9th edition? if so would he share the recipe for the 180 gn sst?

that is the one I am most interested in.

#10 ·
Well I tried facebook and called his shop and got voicemail. That is normal for him so I dropped him an email on his personal account so I should hear something in next day or two. I asked about all the concerns and the recipe for the 180 grn as you asked. I am not sure if he knows as he really does not need to reload as Hornady supplies him cases of anything he needs to practice.

#11 ·
Got my answer and bottom line is he does not know. Here it is

Hello Terry

Sorry I can't answer either of your
Questions. Call the Hornady customer
service, they'll be able to give you answers.

All good here. Still shooting. I closed
The furniture store and started building
Rifles. Best thing I ever did. Good
hearing from you.

Sent from my iPhone

Regards,
Carl

#13 ·
I load the Hornday 165 Gr. FTX rounds for my Marlin 336. I use the standard round nose seater plug and haven't had a problem. The powder Hornday uses is Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder. I currently use 29.3 Gr. IMR8208XBR with mine and I am getting 2400+- FPS out the barrel and can pack them in a inch at 100 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.