The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
18,462 Posts
Putting a RN FMJ bullet into a tubular magazine is asking for a magazine explosion.

You can load them for your aught six, or your thirty thirty, if you single load them.

Me - I'd look for someone with an M1 Carbine and try to do some swapping.

· Registered
9,538 Posts
I'd say that you could use those for either the 30-30 or the 30-06, but to start with the starting load and work up from there. I think I'd keep my velocity under 2000 FPS.

That being said, other than casual short range plinking, I don't think you will be happy with the results. Especially in the .30-06, a 110 grain bullet is much too light to perform well with the twist rates. I've never had good results in a 30-06 going under 125 grains shooting at or beyond 100 yards, but my experiance has only been with with 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfield, Model 70s (pre and post 64s), a Ruger 77 and 721 Remington. I've never used them in my Garand.

I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a round nose FMJ from a rifle with a tubular magazine. In my opinion, too much of the bearing surface of the bullet will be on the primer of the next round, and I'd be very leery of detonation in the magazine tube doing that.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
Putting a RN FMJ bullet into a tubular magazine is asking for a magazine explosion.

You can load them for your aught six, or your thirty thirty, if you single load them.

Me - I'd look for someone with an M1 Carbine and try to do some swapping.
At the cost and availability of powder and primers these days, I like Alpo would try to trade them for some other more usable 150+ grain bullet. In my view the 110 bullet is a very poor choice for either of your guns and you would be waisting valuable powder and primers to make a bang which is about all you will get.

Ron

· Registered
4,603 Posts
I loaded a few 110 gr SP 308 for 30/30 to shoot single shot at the range in my 336.
They shoot ok but the Marlin likes the 150 gr FN much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.