The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. so finally got some free time at the bench tonight.

am picking up a project i put off a while back.

i had gotten some 303 dies and brass with a enfield i got cheap a few months ago at a show. when i went to order projectiles I was looking thru the hornady 7th book and noticed the #3120 was listed under both 77x58 jap and 303 enfield. i figured i'd kill 2 birds with one stone.. etc. as i've never relaoded for either of these cartridges.

got them in then got busy.. now here i am tonight stareing at the book.

7.7 jap looks straight forward.. .312 projectiles all listed.. #3120 among them.

flip back to 303 brit. all the laods except one are .310 !! and the last load listed is the #3120 at .312

#3120 is a 150gr SP interlock .312 / 303 cal.

before i blow myself up putting a 312 into a enfield.. someone reassure me that i'm not reading a missprint in hornady 7th...

thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
In the Hornady 7th manual, you should also have one more bullet weight listed... The 174gr RN #3130 and BTFMJ #3131. These two are also .312"
.312" is the correct bullet diameter for the .303Brit

The reason why you're seeing those 123gr .310" diameter bullets listed under the .303Brit section is because they're 7.62x39 bullets, but are close enough that they might make good plinker rounds. They will be a bit undersized for the bore so accuracy might not be all that great.
Not sure why they didn't work up data for those .310"s in the Arg or Jap cartridges too, but I guess I wouldn't even bother with them myself. I always stuck with 150gr for the 7.65Arg

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting, thanks. so i'm not going to blow my face of or have a bolt lodged in my cheek with .312 in the enfields. :)

interesting on the .310 I havn't started reloading for 762x39 YET.. but do have a lee die set for it and *think* i have a bag of pulled projectiles. i'll have to see if those are .310 if so.. as you say.. maybee usefull for plinker rounds. though maybee not if their accuracy will be horrid... since i do have the correct .312

thanks for the help. i feel a bit better about the loading data now. :)

I like to use the specific manual when i have the specific bullets. ie.. hornady projectiles.. and i'll use the hornady manual. speer projectils.. speer manual..e tc. when i have generic projectiles. I browse all the books and find data for that grain size/shape projectile and then work up something in with a low end max in mind, starting at the bottom and working up.

·
Registered
7,999 Posts
Hope this helps - I read in an OLD Rifleman magazine (1950) that data for the .30-40 Krag could be used for the .303 British. The lightest .303 bullets were listed at 150 grains, but the Krag had loads down as light as 110 grain and 125 grains. Going with that, I adopted a load for the .303 with those .310 diameter SKS/AK 123 grain FMJ bullets.

These bullets are very light for the .303, but they do work for plinking. You won't win any shooting matches with them, but they are great for informal plinking or the occaisional rouge prarie dog.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
interestingly enough.. i do have a krag hiding in a closet somewhere.

some bubba sporterized it. but it functions.. etc.

·
Registered
751 Posts
glad to see someone else playing with the 303

a bit of warning before you start,,, slug your barrel,,, they can vary ALOT,,
have seen everything from .308 to .318 diameter bores,,, for accuracey stay with .001 over bore size for lead,,, if you have one of the smaller size bores you DO NOT want to put a larger bullet in it,,, it can develop very high pressures,,,if you have a normal bore the .312 should be fine,,, but if your bore is larger it probably will suffer in accuracy,,

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm.. i have no good way to slug a bbl.

got no lead projectiles in those sizes...

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thinking about it. can't imagine a battle rifle sent out with .308 bore when factory 303 ammo would be 312?

·
Registered
751 Posts
thinking about it. can't imagine a battle rifle sent out with .308 bore when factory 303 ammo would be 312?
the old enfields varied A LOT IN BORE DIA,, to slug it just take a soft lead ball lube the bore and use a wood or brass rod and tap it thru measure the diameter across the flats and that is what your bore is,,, like i said they vary i have one that is a .310,,, 2 that are .313 and my #5 is .317,not worn out, perfect bore just oversize,they were trying to get everthing they could to the battlefield,,so at times quality suffered in some areas,,,, ask anyone that shoots 303 and they will tell you the same !! aquired my first in '66, my last in '89 and cast my own for them,, is easier to fit.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seems like .308 and .310 gus sent out to the battlefield might cause some issues.

oversize bores and liberal chambers I can see. less issues.. especially if not worried about reloading the brass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts