Hornady 68HPBT-What's the Secret Load?????

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by zant, May 10, 2018.

1. zant

zant Well-Known Member

I can't get these under 1"-tried 5 powders/loads so far.Barnes 69gr-.50-.60"RL15-10 shots,same with Nosler 77gr RL15,same with 53gr VMaxs Benchmark,same with 69 or 77gr SMKs...all 1/2" or slightly more.I bought a bx of 500 on sale and really would like to see them shoot to their potential.Any one else shoot these??

drymag likes this.
  2. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

What are you shooting them in Take's a fast twist in the barrel for that heavy a bullet.

BlackEagle and drymag like this.

3. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Some ideas. I know you know this stuff, but sometimes when frustrated, the obvious gets overlooked.
    PMC 55 gr is some decent generic factory ammo. Then separate them out by using a comparator. Then weigh them for a generic aproximation. Then fire the different piles in 5 shot groups and see what happens.
    Verify the scope is correctly torqued and not dealing w/ parallax.
    Tap about the scope and make sure nothing is changing.
    If you wear glasses, check focal games by testing using parallax methods of moving head and seeing if cross hairs are moving.
    Is the trigger cheesey?

4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

1/8 barrel....When I shoot 3 different-1/2" groups with 69 and 77 gr then move to the 68s and all groups are 1-1 1/4",something ain't right:)....my friends bolt shoots these into 3/4" all day.

5. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

HICKTOWN (AKA HAMPTONVILLE), NORTH CAROLINA
    It sounds like your gun just doesnt like them. I wouldnt fool with it if your getting half inch groups elsewhere.

BlackEagle likes this.
  6. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Any chance the manufacture is using bullets that didn't make the first cut and are selling them as bulk? Call the manufacture and ask them.

7. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I shoot the Hornady 68gr bthps loaded with 23.6 grains of varget, no crimp, oal of 2.24. That puts ten rounds into the center of a 3/4" circle at 100 yards out of both of my 1:8 twist AR's, one Anderson barrel, one Bear Creek. I just picked up 4 pounds of Shooter's World Precision rifle powder that is supposed to have the same burn rate as varget but haven't loaded anything with it yet.

drymag likes this.
  8. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I have been loading the Hornady 68 gr, BTHP with Western Powder, Ram Shot, TAC with sub 1" results from three different AR's. Barrel twist 1:8 to 1:9. Two of the guns are with the M-4 brl., and one with an H-Bar. All three 16" brl. Two std 223 Rem. commercial throat, one Wylde throat. (None of these guns are mine. Loading for friends of mine. Still building my FrankenAR.)

24.7 gr. (24.4 max listed @ Western Powders web site.) As always reduce by 10% for a starter load.
    2.250" col
    Win. std. small primer
    Lake City brass
    Match prepped

My only gripe with TAC is that the spherical of powder are so small that I have to hold the case up very tight to my Redding BR-30 with the 17-20 caliber adapter when dumping a charge or it will get past the case mouth. Other then that, it flows like water with +/- 0.03 gr. deviation.

I have read on some other precision shooter web sites that VihtaVouri N-140 has yielded very good results with 68-70 gr. bullets.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    drymag likes this.
  9. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Try messing with the harmonics. If you have a flash suppressor, change to a muzzle break.