The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 9mm Luger die set from Hornady, and found an oddity I can't explain. In the box, in a separate compartment, is a piece that is identical in dimension to the setting die part that seats the actual bullet, except that it s face is flat, instead of concave, like the one pre-assembled into the die.

The included instructions are generic, and don't mention optional parts for the seating die, so I haven't a clue. My best guess is that this piece is meant to be used for seating flat-nosed bullets, or some kinds of hollow points, but I'm not sure. If I found this part in a .38 Special set, I'd immediately take it to be for loading wadcutters, as it would work perfectly for that task, but as far as I know, nobody makes or would want a 9mm wadcutter.

Is my guess correct, or am I completely out to lunch?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yup, that's what it's for. And welcome to TFF!

When setting up your seating/crimping die, choose whichever seater plug best fits the bullets that you're loading.
They're super easy to change. Just pop the little wire clip off the bottom of the die and slide the sleeve and plug out.

Most of the time I do use the hollow plug, but there are a few bullet designs that just "fit" better with the flat-nose plug. Truncated cone and large-cavity hollow points like the Speer Gold Dot are two examples.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Bindernut!

If answers are so quick to arrive generally, I think I'm going to enjoy this forum a lot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts