The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I need your help again!!

I went out and bought a new box of Hornady .277 Interlock, 130 gr Spire Point, part #2730. I am just about out of the exact same bullet/part number, hence getting more of the same.

But when I got home, I found that the canulure is much higher on the new bullets than on the old ones, though they share the exact same part number. I realize products change over time, but this canulure is a 1/4" higher on the new bullet! As such, when I load my bullets to the COAL I have been using, 3.28" (Hornady's 4th book COAL for a 270 Weatherby Mag ( I own a 270 Win as well in case anyone gets confused from my earlier threads) the canulure is nowhere near the case mouth.

If I seat the bullets to the COAL of 3.28 which shoot awesome in the Weatherby, the canulure on the new bullets sticks out a long ways out of the case!

Is it ok to just use them like that? I understand product updates, but that massive canulure move is crazy!

Help please! :)

thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I think this is the thread that ejkoechling was thinking about... http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=123516&highlight=hornady+cannelure
It was dealing with some Hornady .224" V-max with the cannelure in a different spot.

I do suspect that Hornady is letting their quality fall backwards to meet the increased demand. I do know that I've been seeing quite a few Hornady "seconds" for sale online...I stocked up on a bunch of poly-tipped .257" and .264" bullets dirt-cheap and when they arrived, they were the Hornady SSTs. I can't find anything wrong with them so they've been working just fine for me (I've never used the SSTs before so I don't know why they were tagged as seconds and sold as unbranded mystery bullets).

From my past dealings with Hornady they've always had good customer service, but I haven't had any problems myself recently. Hopefully that hasn't slipped.
I would contact Hornady and see if they did make a change to that stock # or if it is yet another boo-boo.

If you don't use the cannelure, and the weights are consistent, I would go ahead and shoot them up anyway. If you do use the cannelure though...definitely contact Hornady instead of re-working a load for possibly just one bad batch of bullets.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I shoot hornady 55gr sp out of my 222 and 22-250. I load my bullets just off the lands which puts the cannelure no where near the case mouth. Unless you're crimping its not going to effect anything with it being away from the case mouth.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hornady has virtually no quality control.

I recently had different weight projectiles that came from a new un-opened box from Hornady. I had a Hornady LNL press that refused to run. I have had issues with Hornady die sets.

I no longer buy Hornady products.

·
Registered
384 Posts
2hotford I load my bullets to the COAL I have been using, 3.28" (Hornady's 4th book COAL for a 270 Weatherby Mag
I just looked this up in the Hornady 8th edition coal for this is listed as 3.24 with the 2730.
I can't see a 1/4 inch change it seem,s the bullet would hardly be seated with the older batch. I would just load them I don't crimp for my 270 win.
Hope this helps
agedhunter

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
i avoid hornady brass unless it's free. they don't seem to put their primer flash holes inthe smae place every time. which is why i bought a cheap 10$ lee universal deprimer that may not break witht he poker hits the webbing instead of going thru the hole..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think this is the thread that ejkoechling was thinking about... http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=123516&highlight=hornady+cannelure
Thanks for the reply! That link is very similar to mine. The canulure is way up too high in my opinion. I will try and take a pic later tonight.

According to Hornady who contacted me at my request, they moved the canulure up to accommodate short magazines in some short magnums, like the 270 Short Mag. Even the tech support individual noted that he has one cartridge where the canulure sticks out a 1/4" out of the case. So I guess I am not alone.

It just seems weird to me and very restricting. So while I do not crimp, several others may.

Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just looked this up in the Hornady 8th edition coal for this is listed as 3.24 with the 2730.
I can't see a 1/4 inch change it seem,s the bullet would hardly be seated with the older batch. I would just load them I don't crimp for my 270 win.
Hope this helps
agedhunter
That is very interesting that they have shortened the COAL in the 8th book. The reason I agree more with the 4th book is that I measured the factory Weatherby ammunition, which uses the exact, albeit older, style Hornady bullet and they measure at 3.28". Hence why I stuck with that length.

Can you please tell me what the now list as the max load for R22 for the 270 Weatherby Mag and the 130 gr bullet?? I wonder if they have changed that as well??

The canulure has been moved a long ways up the bullet, quite dramatically actually. I will try and get a pic tonight and post it.

But if makes no difference as I am not crimping, I may be worrying for nothing.

Thanks for everyone's help!! :)

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.