The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased some Hornady Critical Defense 9mm Luger ammo for my Glock 43. I immediately noticed the rounds are shorter than my federal ammo. When loaded in the magazine there is about a 1/4 gap between the tip and the interior magazine wall. Today, I unloaded the weapon to try out a new holster. When I re-inserted the magazine and let the slide go forward, the bullet got seized up and jammed the weapon. I tried this a few more times with sporadic results. What I’m noticing is the free play from the shorter round is causing the weapon to jam. Obviously this is quit concerning and am curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks for the replies. This is what I’m seeing and it seized up 3 times for these photos.
I have had the same problem with that brand in my XDE 9mm. The round goes forward and digs into the edge of the ramp, won't go up into chamber. I had no problem in my glock 19 or my XD SC 9mm. Got rid of them and went to Federal. I looked this up on the XD talk forum and found other guys same problem. I'm wondering if they are too tapered of a point instead of rounded. I don't know but it's weird.

·
Premium Member
20,091 Posts
On the left is the Hornady Critical Defence and the right is Remington FMJ. As you can see the FMJ is longer. I find it hard to understand this problem as Glock is a common issue cop gun and a lot of police departments use Hornady ammo?

upload_2020-6-24_21-11-54.png

Thanks for the replies. This is what I’m seeing and it seized up 3 times for these photos.
It looks like you round in picture # 1 is not pushed all the way back into the mag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the left is the Hornady Critical Defence and the right is Remington FMJ. As you can see the FMJ is longer. I find it hard to understand this problem as Glock is a cop gun and a lot of police departments use Hornady ammo?

View attachment 222712
LEOs use the critical duty and that round is definitely taller if you look at them side by side. I debated on that ammo, but decided the ballistics of critical defense was more in line for what I needed. Thanks for the photos. I can’t tell you how many times I have rechecked the ammo stamp :)

It looks like you round in picture # 1 is not pushed all the way back into the mag.
Yeah I purposely did that to show the play in the magazine.

I have had the same problem with that brand in my XDE 9mm. The round goes forward and digs into the edge of the ramp, won't go up into chamber. I had no problem in my glock 19 or my XD SC 9mm. Got rid of them and went to Federal. I looked this up on the XD talk forum and found other guys same problem. I'm wondering if they are too tapered of a point instead of rounded. I don't know but it's weird.
Thanks for the information. I may reach out to Hornady about this.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Might be something easy. Notice on the round GD posted that the bullet shows a lot of cannelure. Find some of your rounds that barely show any and see if those cycle without a problem. Check your feed ramp (clean or filthy). Try another mag. Don't grease up a mag, clean with hoppes and dry it off. When racking the slide manually go straight back not at any angle. Try shootiing them, maybe it doesn't like manual feed for that round.

·
GUNZILLA
7,360 Posts
I used to buy the Hornady critical defense 45 grains in 22 magnum for my Kel-tec PMR and it always gave me problems basically failure to feed, so I don't buy Hornady any more. Try a different magazine or brand and see if that helps. But in all honesty I would not trust it on your CCW.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
May be a silly question but have you tried other magazines? The pic of the jam looks like the cartridge wasn't high enough to feed properly...

I would think a huge company like Glock would have tested their guns with every conceivable ammunition available, and if a problem presented itself with a well known widely used ammo, they would have fixed it...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Maybe send the pictures to Hornady, with a description of your issue. They are usually very quick to respond

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
May be a silly question but have you tried other magazines? The pic of the jam looks like the cartridge wasn't high enough to feed properly...

I would think a huge company like Glock would have tested their guns with every conceivable ammunition available, and if a problem presented itself with a well known widely used ammo, they would have fixed it...
Not likely that Glock would redesign their guns do to a problem for one brand type of ammo.

A friend of mine who has a Detoinc Combat Master Mk 1. I bought a box of the Hornedy Critical Defense for his b-day, and it would not cycle in his gun. The bullet nose would get caught on the barrels feed ramp edge. I trade him a box of Remington Golden Saber which cycled 100%. I gave the box of Hornedy C D to his son who has a Norinco full size 1911, which the ammo cycled 100%.

I had a used Glock 26 that I picked up cheap. ($250) The gun would only cycle 100% with my hand loads with the Hornedy 147 gr XTP seated to the maximum length for the magazine. The Hornady C D bullet/projectile looks to me as a XTP bullet with a polymer plug in the hollow point.

What I have observed is that the sub compact pistols with barrel 3.5” or less, is that the short barrel tip down at a slightly higher angle then longer barrel pistols during the loading cycle. This is why some if the sub compact pistols can be finicky about the type they feed.

As a side note. A work acquaintance had a Glock 38 in 45 GAP. What a jam-o-matic that gun was. He tried every brand of ammo, which was very limited as for factory ammo, in his gun and it would jam almost every round. He sent it back to Glock and they sent it back claiming nothing wrong with the gun. He traded at a loss for a Glock 36 in 45 ACP. That gun would feed and cycle anything 100%.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts