The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I was running some 30-06 casings thru my Hornady full length die to de-prime the casings in preparation of running them thru my tumbler when one got stuck. I probably did everything wrong proceeding the case getting stuck trying to get the darn thing out. First, I tried forcing it out with my press which ripped the rim off the casing. Second, like a moron I unscrewed the collet on the de-priming pin and tried tapping it out first with a rubber mallet and then went with the old adage just get a bigger hammer. At that time I noticed I was mushrooming the threads not thinking about what it was doing to the bell on the other end馃檮. Then my inner genius thought I could drill out the bottom of the casing enough to get the de-priming pin out so I could use a punch to drive the casing out. This was somewhat successful in I was able to get the now damaged de-priming pin and bell out of the die. I then found a punch that fit inside the neck and tried driving the casing out that way which removed what was left of the bottom of the casing. It went even better after I decided to get a pair of big channel locks and a wrench in an attempt to twist the stuck casing from the die! This final step left me with a mangled twisted mess at the bottom of what used to be a casing with no sign that it would ever be able to be removed. At this time when everything else failed I decided to read the directions that came with my set of dies and in doing so I read that if you get a casing stuck you can send it to Hornady to have them remove it and if they are unable they will replace the die for free! I called customer service this morning and was completely honest with them on my procedures on the attempted removal of stuck casing. The gentleman who I spoke too didn鈥檛 even make fun of me which I deserved but was very helpful and answered several questions I had. Since this was a first for me I wanted to see where I went wrong which I鈥檓 not entirely sure still, maybe just been lucky so far. To make a short story long all I have to do is send in the now damaged die and they will either fix it or replace it with a new one for just $15.00 to cover return shipping thru fedex. A whole heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one! I will post an update on how long this process takes when I receive it back, so far I鈥檓 very happy with their service since I figured I would just have to buy a new one being I did everything in my power to screw it up! Has anyone here ever had a case get stuck in a die? If so how did you go about getting it unstuck? I welcome any comments on how to prevent this in the future or even to just poke fun at my attempts for a good laugh.

Registered
Yes I have. RCBS sells a stuck case remover. I presume every other reloading die manufacturer also has a similar item.

Except Lee. Their decapping stem is designed to be used just like you said you used it. Take the nut off and then hit the end of it with a hammer and drive the stock case out.

Super Moderator
That sounds a whole lot like my first attempt to remove a stuck case. Learned quick to use enough lube from then on but there have been a couple of times when that didn't stop a case from sticking. Bought that RCBS stuck case removal tool and it was a long time before another one stuck. 5.7X28 is the one that I have had more problems with and has two stuck within an hour one day and it didn't seem to matter how much lube I used. Almost made me want to quit messing with those little things. It is very good of Hornady to replace the die for you, they probably make a stuck case removal tool, so you might want to have them send you one of them, too.

Premium Member
I just made my stuck case extractor using a 1/4 X 28 bolt and a few washers. All I bought was the 1/4 X 28 tap. In over 60 years of handloading I've stuck two cases....both in the last 5 years, (never think you're past making a mistake....:sick:). Had them both out in about 5 minutes.

Drill out the primer pocket to the right diameter, tap the hole, screw the die in from the bottom of your press and lock it down, stack up washers as needed, turn bolt into tapped primer pocket and the case will come right out. If it doesn't, you screwed up something else.

Bolt and tap size will depend on case size.

Registered
As said..buy or build a stuck case remover kit. Essentially you drill and tap the case head for a threaded bolt..then use washers where the inner diameter is larger than the case, smaller than the die.. Stack them..screw in bolt and slowly turn the bolt to pull the case. Usually once it moves a hair it's loose.

Premium Member
Dad always said, with sarcasm, "never use force, get a bigger hammer."

See a lot of that today, ever since problem solving ceased to be taught, just beat on it until you break it, that'll fix it.

Registered
Many companies have eliminated periodic or final quality control checks, and just use their warranty to make you.. the buyer/end user the final quality control checker. I worked for a large overseas conglomerate company during college .. the division I worked for ( in the states ) built water meters.. we had 4 quality control people that worked there when I started. 2 in testing, and 2 that did walk thru checks on the assembly line, as well and pulling boxes that were ready to ship to spot check. During the 4-5 years i worked there, they eliminated the 2 QC people completely, and the 2 testing people who basically ran every meter we built thru a pressure test and a flow check were dropped to 1 person who only did something like 10% spot checks. Everything else was passed to the user... order 10,000 meters? 8 of them are bad.. no problem.. send them in on your dime.. we fix or replace.. then send them back. Doing this saved the company 100K a year... and they liked it...

Registered
Wipe off grit and use case lube next time 馃槀.

I've stuck a few but I use mainly OD neck bushing type sizing dies. On that type die it is simple to remove the bushing, decapper, and top cap and drive it out with a pin punch after spraying a little penetration lube down around the case in the die.

If you left anything to grab hold of you may be able to free it up with some heat. Anneal the brass and let it cool.

Depending on how much a stuck case removal tool and what your die cost you may be cheaper just to buy another sizing die.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Case lube would've saved you a lot of trouble.
I was using RCBS case lube and pad at the time of the stuck case, I had run probably 50 or so cases thru prior to the one sticking. I also de-burred and chamfered them prior to de-primming to help them go thru a little smoother. The case prior seemed a little sticky so I had put extra on the outside and inside of the problematic case. Customer service said you should clean the inside of the die鈥檚 between every use, I don鈥檛 know if that鈥檚 where I went wrong? This die is relatively new as this was only the third reloading session I have used these particular dies on.

Thank you for all the great advice on the case puller, will definitely be looking into this!

Premium Member
I bought the Hornady neck turner, and it looks like I am threading bolts instead of neck turning.
Sent Hornady an email with picks about the problem, and they e-mailed me a tag number. Still waiting, and it seems no one wants to talk to me or discuss the problem. Three days later and still waiting.
Lyman's did the same for me. Went back to my lathe.

GUNZILLA
Sorry for all your woes. I've gotten a case stuck a couple of times but was luckier than you. Since then I bought an inexpensive Lee breech locking press for about $29 and a lee universal decapping/depriming die, have not had issues since then. This is what I use to deprime all range brass before cleaning brass.

Registered
I bought the Hornady neck turner, and it looks like I am threading bolts instead of neck turning.
Sent Hornady an email with picks about the problem, and they e-mailed me a tag number. Still waiting, and it seems no one wants to talk to me or discuss the problem. Three days later and still waiting.
I think someone from Hornady read my post and a few minutes later I received a response.:)
Hornady is sending me a new neck cutter tool.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think someone from Hornady read my post and a few minutes later I received a response.:)
Hornady is sending me a new neck cutter tool.
That鈥檚 great to hear! I found them very easy to talk with and extremely helpful with answering all my probably dumb questions. I really expected them to tell me I was a complete idiot and go buy a new one but instead were very informative!

Registered
Unfortunately I was running some 30-06 casings thru my Hornady full length die to de-prime the casings in preparation of running them thru my tumbler when one got stuck. I probably did everything wrong proceeding the case getting stuck trying to get the darn thing out. First, I tried forcing it out with my press which ripped the rim off the casing. Second, like a moron I unscrewed the collet on the de-priming pin and tried tapping it out first with a rubber mallet and then went with the old adage just get a bigger hammer. At that time I noticed I was mushrooming the threads not thinking about what it was doing to the bell on the other end馃檮. Then my inner genius thought I could drill out the bottom of the casing enough to get the de-priming pin out so I could use a punch to drive the casing out. This was somewhat successful in I was able to get the now damaged de-priming pin and bell out of the die. I then found a punch that fit inside the neck and tried driving the casing out that way which removed what was left of the bottom of the casing. It went even better after I decided to get a pair of big channel locks and a wrench in an attempt to twist the stuck casing from the die! This final step left me with a mangled twisted mess at the bottom of what used to be a casing with no sign that it would ever be able to be removed. At this time when everything else failed I decided to read the directions that came with my set of dies and in doing so I read that if you get a casing stuck you can send it to Hornady to have them remove it and if they are unable they will replace the die for free! I called customer service this morning and was completely honest with them on my procedures on the attempted removal of stuck casing. The gentleman who I spoke too didn鈥檛 even make fun of me which I deserved but was very helpful and answered several questions I had. Since this was a first for me I wanted to see where I went wrong which I鈥檓 not entirely sure still, maybe just been lucky so far. To make a short story long all I have to do is send in the now damaged die and they will either fix it or replace it with a new one for just $15.00 to cover return shipping thru fedex. A whole heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one! I will post an update on how long this process takes when I receive it back, so far I鈥檓 very happy with their service since I figured I would just have to buy a new one being I did everything in my power to screw it up! Has anyone here ever had a case get stuck in a die? If so how did you go about getting it unstuck? I welcome any comments on how to prevent this in the future or even to just poke fun at my attempts for a good laugh.
I use case sizing lubricant ... I go slow ... and if I sense resistance to a case going into the sizing die ... I STOP ... and ease the case OUT ... see what the problem is ... fix it / add more lube ... The harder a case goes into the die ... the harder the case is to get out the die ... the rim will pull off and a bigger hammer isn't the answer .

In 50 years of reloading I almost stuck a 30-06 case , but didn't get it so stuck I wasn't able to remove it ... I didn't use a hammer and I learned how to read what the feeling in the press handle was telling me ... if everything's not smooth and easy ...Stop and see what the problem is ...Hard In = Harder Out and don't go all Magallia Gorilla on the press handle ... forcing a case in the die is easy ...getting a stuck case out ... Not so easy !
Gary

Banned
I'm not sure but I think another way to help remove stuck brass from steel die would be to put the die with the stuck brass in your freezer until it's the same temp. as the freezer. Brass expands and contracts differently than steel so it should help. A friend of mine had a .357 mag. casing get stuck in his cylinder upon firing it. He tried a bunch of things and was in the process of attempting to "drill it out" when he stopped himself and enlisted my help. I took the cylinder and crane off and put it in the freezer for a few hours. The case then tapped out with very little resistance.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts