Hornady Great Plains 385 Grain

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Broot, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

I am just getting into muzzleloading (besides a little 50 cal cannon I made). I'll be shooting Hodgdon Triple Seven powder and Hornady Great Plains bullets, for now. Anyway, my real question: What is the ballistic coefficient and approximate velocity of those bullets (I'll likely be experimenting with loads between 90 and 120 grains)? I've been searching online the last few days and haven't seen much. I hunt the open fields of Iowa, so I need to figure drop and windage. Also, is 100 yards a good sight in distance?

Thank you!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I was getting under 1,800fps with a 300gr SST when I used pyrodex. I would guess you would be under that a bit. If you plan on shooting over 150 yards you'll want to be high at 100. There's ballistics info here http://m.hornady.com/hits/calculator to be exact you'll have to run your load over a chronograph. Also, if you're hunting with an inline you may want to take a look at blackhorn 209 powder. It's a little expensive but it blows all of the other bp substitutes out of the water.

Broot likes this.

3. Broot

Thanks for the info. What exactly (other type of game) am I looking for on the hits calculator? I am looking to hunt whitetail up to 200 yards, maybe 250 max.. After that, I wouldn't expect the lead slug to be accurate enough. It's an inline with a scope, so I was hoping to find an approximate drop chart so I can dial in the scope for different distances.

Thanks again for the help...

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I think that a 300gr SST or t/c shockwave would be a better choice for those distances. If it were me, I would sight in 4" high at 100 and then shoot at 200 and 250 to see exactly what the drop is before hunting. That's really going to be the only way to know exactly where you're going to hit.

5. Broot

Alright, I shall do that. Thank you! :)

slayer likes this.
  6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on what you find.

Broot likes this.
  7. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 Active Member

Yep...no data on paper can take the place of that. ;)

Broot and slayer like this.
  8. Broot

Thanks guys.. I was hoping the paper would get me close so I'd just have a bit of fine tuning. Looks like there's no easy way around it! :)

My supplies are shipping to me, but when they are here and I have a calm day to shoot, I'll check back (Iowa is windy this time of year)..

slayer likes this.
  9. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 Active Member

You've some playing in store for ya, to see what that rifle likes. ;)

Grizzley1 and Broot like this.
  10. Broot

Yes..Ought to be fun though!

This is my first time with a muzzleloader, so I'm getting excited. I can't use my rifles for deer in Iowa, and my smooth bore 20 ga. with Super-X slugs isn't real accurate. I did take down a 10 point buck at about 150 yards a few years ago (open sights). No too bad. Anyway, besides a bit more accuracy, I've been thinking about getting out of the shotgun season ever since I got shot at by an annual group of "run and gun" poachers. Maybe I'm strange, but it takes a bit of the fun out of hunting when you hear a 1 oz slug swoosh by your head.

I have some lead balls on the order, too, just for fun. Should be fairly cheap shooting targets close range with lead balls and lighter loads of homemade 75/15/10 gunpowder. A lot of time goes into making it, but if you only cosider components it's somewere around $1.90 per pound. I doubt you guys will be seeing any tight groups, though :D

11. Broot

Well, all my stuff is here now (excluding Blackhorn powder and some other bullets I'd like to try).. CVA Wolf, Nikon scope, primers, Triple Seven, Great plains bullets, .50 cal balls and patches. Cleaning supplies, too. The last of it came late this evening, but I couldn't resist firing a shot 8:15 p.m (love waking up the neighbors :D). Decided on a ball and 65 grains of powder. Nice! Even hit and destroyed a milk jug of water without tweaking the scope from factory.

That's it for now. Now clean up, then going to call it a day

12. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier Well-Known Member

The Data for the Remington Inline M/L is printed in the New Gun Digest. I shoot a beautiful Steve Zhin East Tenn. flintlock. It is very effective at 250 yds with .54 caliber ball and 100 grs. of Goex 2F.

Broot likes this.
  13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Steve definitely builds a nice rifle!!!

I don't know squat about in lines but have worked extensively with BP cartridges in a few Shiloh Sharps for hunting and competition. Never underestimate the accuracy potential of BP and a bullet....or a round ball unless the wind is blowing a gale. The bullets you're shooting will not be as stable as the long for caliber bullets I shoot in my Sharps but I bet they will surprise you out to the 250 yards slayer mentioned. Especially as you're shooting a scope and all I shoot is irons. I have to second what others have said in that the only way you'll actually know where the rifle is shooting at longer ranges is to put it on paper. Tables can get you close but as the old saying goes, that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

Dog Soldier, slayer and Broot like this.
  14. Broot

Thanks for the input guys... The wind seems fairly light this morning, so I might do some testing. Does zeroing at 25-30 yards, then fine tuning at the long end, sound about right?

15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Should work just fine.

Broot likes this.