Hornady L&L Autocharge

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 2A-Jay, May 18, 2018.

1. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

After learning that extruded powders seem to be a bit more difficult to measure using my Uniflow Powder Measure (the drum will occasionally hang up when dropping a charge) I have decided to look into an electronic Powder measure. Being very budget minded, I priced RCBS, Lyman and Hornady auto charge units. Price wise I landed on the Hornady L&L Autocharge as the best budget wise. I just finished watching the Hornady Video. In the Demo they measured out Retumbo and it seemed to do the job nicely.

Has anyone here got experience with this autocharge unit? Pro or con advice would be appreciated. After pricing I can actually order it from Walmart for about $170 with free shipping. TIA for any thoughts.

drymag likes this.
  2. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member

2A-Jay, take a look at the Harrell precision power measure. The price is in line with the Hornady unit ($200.00). Creedmore shooting sports has a good write up, very well made unit.

Larry

drymag likes this.

3. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hmmmm, only extruded powders I use are for larger rifle cartridges (30-06, 8mm Mauser, 300 WinMag, etc) and I trickle all my loads so I set my powder dispenser to drop a little light.

Let us know how it goes and good luck finding a solution you like.

drymag likes this.
  4. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

I have the Hornady. I wish I had bought the RCBS. I can't say the RCBS is better, but I do know my Hornady has some tempermental issues only in the relm of power. It needs plugged into a "clean" power source and not using any extension cord. It needs to stay away from fluorescent lights. Any power flakeyness in the house circuit will be noticed by the Hornady. I can't understand why they would not make a bullet proof power supply. It does a pretty good job otherwise, but it is not perfect. That +/- 1 grain thing will xlate to being within 2 grains overall if that makes sense. May be some one can speak to the RCBS.

When I want the most accurate powder drops for my LR shooting, I stop just short using the Hornady then trickle up. May be the RCBS has to do the same and is not perfect either.

I do like having one, but for the money, there is no excuse for having to watch it that close.

5. 2A-Jay

I only use the extruded powder for my M2 Ball replica ammo. For my Savage axis xp I use spherical power and it meters just fine in my Uniflow powder measure. It just takes a little longer to adjust it to where it throws a consistent charge repeatedly. The Uniflow seems to be less time consuming. I have a friend that has an RCBS electronic powder measure and complains about how it acts with extruded powders. So I still have not made my mind up yet. Price point may be the deciding factor in the end. If I were to find that another brand mechanical measure didn't suffer the same problem with extruded powders I may go that way. Any recommendations along that line? Maybe a Hornady powder measure?

6. JRK57

JRK57 Member

I have and use the Hornady L&L auto charge with no problems underneath a fluorescent light, or plugged into power. The only issue I’ve had was when I was using a Bluetooth speaker near it, really messes with the digital scale.

Typically you have to use it on the slow dispense speed for all measuring otherwise it will have a tendency to overcharge. Also it’s best to set it to slow to a trickle at about .6 or .8 grains before the target weight. It defaults at .2 grains wich is too low.

Even if it takes a bit longer to use this, vs a powder measure, I usually use the time in between charges for seating bullets or something else, plus once it’s set my wife likes to help with filling the cases with powder, she’s very meticulous so she’s perfect for that job. And it’s always a good thing when you can get your wife to spend some time with you.

Once you get it, figure it out, you’ll like it.

drymag likes this.
  7. JRK57

JRK57 Member

I also use it with spherical, ball, and extruded powder all the time. No issues. Never used it with a flake powder so I can’t give any opinions on that type of powder.

drymag likes this.
  8. 2A-Jay

I don't use fluorescent lights anywhere in my house or garage, also no Bluetooth devices. the one radio in our house is in the garage, but it is 10 feet away from the reloading bench, and the circuit that it would be plugged into is an isolated circuit that only feeds the light on my reloading bench.

drymag likes this.
  9. JRK57

JRK57 Member

Then it should work for you with no issues. I’m very happy with mine.

drymag likes this.
  10. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member

How does the lighting affect the scale? Could a line filter be used, not the surge protection strip.
    I have used an uninterpretable power supply for my computers and test meters for years, not so much for the reserved power but because it filters the high spikes and sags out of the line to an extent. Since using the UPS I have not lost a hard drive and or computer due to nonuniform electrical patterns.

Larry

drymag likes this.
  11. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

The Lee auto drum works well with extruded but ti is not always perfect. So if it is within your needs, that may work for you. See what others get for their drop variances.