The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just after 17 rounds on my new press, the drive hub brakes.
Doe's anyone know of an after market upgrade, or some one who could machine me one. So the whole thing is solide steel. and not just the out side of it.
Heares some pics to help you out.
You can see where the key hub sheered right of and the top 3 threads cracked.
looks like the center insert is cast or injection molded.
Sorry about the quality and size. still trying to get the hang of this windows 8.

Attachments

· Registered
607 Posts
I owned a new Hornady LNL progressive press about 9 months ago. Unfortunately, it was filled with defective parts and I never got it to run correctly. I finally gave up and bought a Dillon which has been flawless.

I hope your experience is different from mine.

I no longer buy Hornady products because their recent quality control is very poor.

G

·
Call hornady. I had one issues that I caused and they replaced the part anyway for free even shipped them express and I had them in 2 days.

· Registered
2,006 Posts
I've had excellent results with Hornady customer service. I had a lot of issues when I first got my LNL and if the customer service had not been so good I would have sold it and bought a Dillon press. Now it runs good and I don't have the problems I had at first.

· Registered
119 Posts
+on contacting Hornady. While I haven't had any defective parts, I managed to break a couple of items and theyt even replaced those for free.

BTW, in the 9 months I've owned mine I've loaded over 5,000 rounds of 9mm, a thousand or so of 30.06 & 308 and several hundred rounds of 44 mag. No real problems to speak of that weren't my fault.

· Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just all of a suden got stuck. Thought it was a primer stuck under the plate.
So I took it off and found whats in the above pics.

· Registered
607 Posts
did you check the indexing pawls; they break often when a jam occurs? i was told by hornady customer service that the breaking pawls are designed to prevent broken hubs.

really?

...so one part is designed to break so another part doesn't break????

That is only one reason I bagged this press after +20 calls to customer service. My Dillon 550b has been great.

· Registered
3,584 Posts
did you check the indexing pawls; they break often when a jam occurs? i was told by hornady customer service that the breaking pawls are designed to prevent broken hubs.

really?

...so one part is designed to break so another part doesn't break????

That is only one reason I bagged this press after +20 calls to customer service. My Dillon 550b has been great.
Yup...that is a very common engineering design practice.
It comes in handy to design one shear item into a mechanism. In this case, preferably a simple part like a flat pawl instead of a complexly machined drive hub.
On some other machine, it might be a shear pin or bolt. Usually something easy and inexpensive to replace.
Don't smile too much about your Dillon...I'd bet money that it has a shear system designed into it as well.

I wonder if the Hornady press always used a cast part for that hub. A machined billet hub would be stronger. Could've been a flaw in the metal right at the base of the key too.
I would drill and pin that part and keep it on hand for a spare.

· Banned
14,431 Posts
I'm thinking that hub is the shear point from the looks of it. appears to be made of powdered metal.

if you want I can pin it and you can keep it as a back-up.

has anyone seen this before? what causes it?

· Registered
3,584 Posts
I don't have an AP press so I can't say for sure if that's the shear point or not. I've checked em out at Scheels but I just haven't got the itch for a progressive yet.

I noticed the cast (powdered) metal construction and I just figured it was just a "cheap out" to lower manufacturing costs.
There are a lot of things that work just fine made of that stuff but I'm still old school...billet is better.

· Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thinking of pining it to keep it as a back up.
I'll check thoughs paws. I hope there not messed up also.

· Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well got the new part in. Got it installed and pumped out a few hundred rounds.
worked great. not a single problem.
must have just ben a flawed part.
I'm happy shooter.

Reactions: JRK57

· Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I'm thinking that hub is the shear point from the looks of it. appears to be made of powdered metal.

if you want I can pin it and you can keep it as a back-up.

has anyone seen this before? what causes it?
it happens when a primer doesn't get fully seated into the primer pocket and you force the shell plate around until either the round gets ejected or the hub breaks.
Don't ask me how I know, but a smart person would have loosened up the shell plateo_O

yea its just pot metal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.