The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are the completed videos on the Hornady LNL AP press. I have been as thorugh as I can be and I hope that those that are considering purchasing the Hornady AP press, or those that already have the press find these videos helpful. Here are the links and thanks for watching.

76Highboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA

This video covers issues related to the shell plate including eject issues, cases feeding into the dies, powder spillover, and primer seating. Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnV7DRyg9w

In this video I verify the correct operation of the priming system and timing of the press. Then I off-adjust the priming system and pawls and on the next two videos I will show you how to dial them in correctly. Thanks for watching and God bless. Highboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE6vlYIcjhk

This video will help you dial in your priming system. You need to get the priming system working correctly before adjusting the pawl adjustment screws in order to correct shell plate timing issues. Thanks for watching and I hope this helps a lot of folks. Highboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXms1-ZsPnU

The timing on the shell plate is dependent on the detent bearings being lined up with the timing holes in the sub-plate. I will show you a simple way to dial the timing in on the press so the shell plate detent bearings will line up with the timing holes of the sub-plate. Thanks for watching and God bless. Highboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6BfPn5QaiA

This video will instruct you on how to set the priming system and it will help you dial in the camwire properly if the primer won't feed into the primer slide. I hope it helps and thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-dDZR0G2o

This video goes over the powder measure cleaning and set up from top to bottom. Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWftLWwQSng

This video will demonstrate the accuracy of the LNL AP powder measure set up. I demonstrate that the powder measure on the AP will throw every bit as accurately as the stand alone powder measure will. Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCyYUzymHns

This video takes what we have learned and shows how to set the Hornady LNL AP press up from the ground up. I show you how I set everything up, going through each die, and ending up with a loaded cartridge. Thanks for watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYH-WeOBaiM

This video will help you better design a good solid reloading bench, and it will show you how to successfully mount your press. Thanks for watching.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just recieved my LNL yesterday. Prior to the delivery day I watched each of these videos several times over. I found them to be very beneficial and would highly recommend them. My set up went very well I'm sure that I eliminated problems before they even happened using the knowledge gained.

I even reloaded 58 rounds last night. I eccountered a few problems here or there but most everything wrong seems to come back to user error. I have reloaded on single stage presses up till now and the LNL is foregin to me.

There will be a learning curve.

The videos are very well done. I appreciate the effort that was put into them.

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just recieved my LNL yesterday. Prior to the delivery day I watched each of these videos several times over. I found them to be very beneficial and would highly recommend them. My set up went very well I'm sure that I eliminated problems before they even happened using the knowledge gained.

I even reloaded 58 rounds last night. I eccountered a few problems here or there but most everything wrong seems to come back to user error. I have reloaded on single stage presses up till now and the LNL is foregin to me.

There will be a learning curve.

The videos are very well done. I appreciate the effort that was put into them.
Thanks. When we gonna get some pics of the setup?

·
Registered
209 Posts
76Highboy,

I just spent a couple days reviewing your HINTS AND TRICKS VIDEOS FOR THE HORNADY LNL-AP PRESS and tuning-up my press. Thank You for making the wonderful videos, your down to Earth demeanor and style is refreshing. My LNL is also equipped with a case feeder, an ULTIMATERELOADER ROLLER HANDLE, INLINEFABRICATION ULTRAMOUNT, LED LIGHT PACKAGE, and a RCBS LOCK-OUT DIE.

My Hornady LNL-AP is just BUZZING ALONG after following your TIPS about the press, THANKS AGAIN for taking the time and making the effort to produce these WONDERFUL instructional videos.

Retirement has allowed me to expand my horizons with the hobbies of Reloading and Casting. I find these hobbies very relaxing as my time constraints have vanished in retirement :)

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
76Highboy,

I just spent a couple days reviewing your HINTS AND TRICKS VIDEOS FOR THE HORNADY LNL-AP PRESS and tuning-up my press. Thank You for making the wonderful videos, your down to Earth demeanor and style is refreshing. My LNL is also equipped with a case feeder, an ULTIMATERELOADER ROLLER HANDLE, INLINEFABRICATION ULTRAMOUNT, LED LIGHT PACKAGE, and a RCBS LOCK-OUT DIE.

My Hornady LNL-AP is just BUZZING ALONG after following your TIPS about the press, THANKS AGAIN for taking the time and making the effort to produce these WONDERFUL instructional videos.

Retirement has allowed me to expand my horizons with the hobbies of Reloading and Casting. I find these hobbies very relaxing as my time constraints have vanished in retirement :)

That is awesome and I appreciate the feedback. Feel free to post some pics of your setup and welcome to the forum. Also, what calibers are you reloading?

Jim

·
Registered
209 Posts
76Highboy,

Sorry I don't presently do photos, NO CAMERA.

I presently reload for 38 Special, 45LC and 45 ACP mostly.

A self preservation motivation has me capable of also doing .380, 9MM, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Special, and 44 Mag.

My interests lie mainly in handguns as I am not really rifle orientated in interests.

I have a friend and fellow NRA Instructor who is a HIGHLY rated Distance Rifle shooter though.

I'm going to see some pistol shooting at the Camp Perry NATIONAL MATCHES the end of next week,

and eat some GREAT Walleye and Perch at some Port Clinton establishments.

I'll give Camp Perry's Vendors Row a good look along with a visit to the CMP store that's also there.

I was way ahead of the current crisis with components and learning about Bullet Casting too, thank God for avoiding that whole mess.

Planning ahead can just really put your mind at ease.

Peace. Solitude, and Tranquility my GOOD MAN.:)

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GREAT VIDS.

MOONMAN

·
Registered
209 Posts
76Highboy,

On Video #3 you call out adding the POWDER MEASURE shoulder bolt "O-Ring"

to be a 1.5 x 1.9 mm one, is that correct?

1.5mm = .059 inches or just under 1/16" (.0625)

1.9mm = .0748 inches.

The SHOULDER BOLT diameter is .250 inches (1/4")

A 5.9mm o-ring is about .232" and would easily stretch over the .250 shoulder.

Did you possibly miss read your Harbor Freight O-Ring Box size designation for the shoulder bolt?

You called out the LOCK N LOAD BUSHING o-ring change-out as being a 22mm x 3mm one to keep the whole powder measure locked in place, CORRECT?

MOONMAN

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
76Highboy,

On Video #3 you call out adding the POWDER MEASURE shoulder bolt "O-Ring"

to be a 1.5 x 1.9 mm one, is that correct?

1.5mm = .059 inches or just under 1/16" (.0625)

1.9mm = .0748 inches.

The SHOULDER BOLT diameter is .250 inches (1/4")

A 5.9mm o-ring is about .232" and would easily stretch over the .250 shoulder.

Did you possibly miss read your Harbor Freight O-Ring Box size designation for the shoulder bolt?

You called out the LOCK N LOAD BUSHING o-ring change-out as being a 22mm x 3mm one to keep the whole powder measure locked in place, CORRECT?

MOONMAN
Yes, I did mis-state the o-ring size and I apologize. The o-ring size I meant was 5.8 X 1.9mm. Thanks for catching that. You pay good attention. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
76Highboy,

I'm a retired machinist and I thought the shoulder bolt one you called out was a LITTLE SMALL.

Now we know, it's 5.8mm x 1.9mm, THANKS.

MOONMAN

·
Registered
209 Posts
76Highboy,

On the internet is a youtube video by gavintoobe "CALIBRATING THE HORNADY LNL-AP AND LNL CLASSIC".

This video shows you how to calibrate and CORRECT the the difference between the two presses if you have both.

Whatever the difference between the two presses is, requires you to make or have made a SPACER BUSHING that will be installed

UNDERNEATH the LNL INSERT SOCKET in the single stage CLASSIC'S FRAME.

The FRAME MOUNTED THREADED LNL INSERT must be backed out of the single stages frame. (Gavin shows you how to do this.)

THE SPACER bushing slides onto the underside of it and is re-installed (screwed back into) the single stage.

This will raise the WORKING HEIGHT of the single stage LNL Press and make it equal that of the HORNADY LNL-AP. (shell holder to shell plate heights)

He uses a #1 SHELL PLATE (LNL-AP) and a #1 SHELL HOLDER (CLASSIC), a 6" CALIPER (USED AS A DEPTH MEASURE) a common brass case,

a POWDER COP DIE with the ROD REMOVED for measuring depth through it.

THIS WILL ALLOW LNL DIE SWAPS BETWEEN THE TWO PRESS AS THE WORKING HEIGHT HAS BEEN EQUALIZED BETWEEN THEM.:)

The difference between MY two presses required a bushing to be .156 THICK, in the videos,

Gavin's needed to be .176 thick, so all require measuring YOUR TWO PRESSES and a CUSTOM THICKNESS BUSHING MADE.

MOONMAN

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Rockchucker with the bicycle handle and a newly purchased LNL AP. Have watch all the videos in this thread and they are greatly appreciated and well done. Does anyone readily know the shim size necessary to calibrate the Rockchucker with the LNL AP?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Highboy,
The videos were very useful and I followed your tips...My new LNL press is working great with no hiccups...Thanks for the videos...

Reactions: 76Highboy

·
Registered
209 Posts
gojones,

The PRESS TO PRESS CALIBRATION concerns the two HORNADY presses with the

LNL SYSTEM PRESS INSERTS and LNL DIE BUSHINGS.

Your Rockchucker probably just has standard threads 7/8-14 showing. (die size threads)

THE HORNADY LNL INSERT BUSHING HAS 1 1/4"-12 THREADS PER INCH.

IF YOUR ROCKCHUCKER HAS A THREADED INSERT WITH 7/8-14 THREADS, THAT INSERT INTO THE PRESS

IS PROBABLY THREADED 1 1/4-12 and a Hornady LNL IS AVAILABLE FOR AROUND $17 PLUS SHIPPING.

YOU WOULD SWAP-OUT THE PRESS BUSHINGS AND THEN FOLLOW THE VIDEOS INSTRUCTIONS.

OTHERWISE, YOU would need to have the Rockchucker presses threads DRILLED OUT AND RE-TAPPED

to the THREAD SIZE of a Hornady LNL INSERT Bushing.(1 1/4"-12)

You would need to install that insert bushing, a die equipped with a LNL DIE BUSHING,

then follow the directions on the video to arrive at the calculated press differences.

You then would have to make or have made a PRECISION THICKNESS SPACER to equalize the press differences.

The correction spacer is installed underneath the single stages LNL INSERT Bushing.

If you try this change, ALL YOUR DIES WOULD NEED LNL BUSHINGS to fit into your Rockchucker.

Hornady single stage presses and LNL-AP are not a SET SIZE, all these

spacers are CUSTOM MADE to fit YOUR PRESS DIFFERENCES.

THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

IF YOUR ROCKCHUCKER DOES NOT HAVE A REMOVABLE BUSHING THAT HAS 1 1/4"-12 THREADS IN THE PRESS BODY,

it would probably be easiest just to acquire a Hornady LNL CLASSIC single stage press to start with

and determine what thickness spacer you would need to make for it.

My spacer needed to .156 thick, the one in the video presentation I believe needed to be .172 thick.

MOONMAN

1 - 20 of 392 Posts